F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

12-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #45
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Perfect, thanks for the detailed response.

So are you saying for OEM activation I would not be going to the dealer to buy the option code and have it officially assigned to my VIN? I thought that is what OEM activation would entail, so BMw systems would recognise the unit as part of my original order.

I doubt they would sell me the option anyway and even if they did they would likely want me to pay £2k for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #46
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Perfect, thanks for the detailed response.

So are you saying for OEM activation I would not be going to the dealer to buy the option code and have it officially assigned to my VIN? I thought that is what OEM activation would entail, so BMw systems would recognise the unit as part of my original order.

I doubt they would sell me the option anyway and even if they did they would likely want me to pay £2k for it.
No. You can buy the needed FSC Codes, but without an official 609 Navigation Professional Retrofit from BMW (there isn't one), they will not update your master VO to add 609.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #47
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Option 2 is to keep the used Head Unit with Donor VIN in it and matching FSC Codes, and use an emulator / activation module, which is a piece of hardware that lies to the CAS Module telling it your Head Unit VIN matches the CAR VIN. This is less expensive option, but not the OEM way.
Is this item what is being referred to as a Canbus Filter in the instructions at the star of this thread?

Is this one of those items?
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...ivation-module
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #48
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Is this item what is being referred to as a Canbus Filter in the instructions at the star of this thread?

Yep that's it. All it does is trick your car into thinking that the VIN on the head unit matches your car so that all the applications will work. On top of Voice Control and Navigation, I can confirm that this will also enable BMW Apps if it was previously activated on your donor vehicle's head unit and most likely Satellite Radio if it was previously activated.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #49
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Update:

Navigation is now working! Loaded the 2014-2 NBT Map Update via USB and I am now on North American maps.

I still haven't fixed the combox issue yet but if I disconnect the combox before the car sleeps and plug it back in the next time I start the car, USB and the Trip computer can both work without any issues. Right now, I just left the combox plugged in because I need the MOST connection for the KOMBI to display my navigation directions.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #50
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yes, but that is the "Cadillac" version, and over $500.

This will do the job, and it is under $80:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-E...735516206.html

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #51
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but that is the "Cadillac" version, and over $500.

This will do the job, and it is under $80:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-E...735516206.html
I think it depends on how ok he is with splicing the wires on his harness. Chances are though, the dealer will never find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #52
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
I think it depends on how ok he is with splicing the wires on his harness. Chances are though, the dealer will never find out.
Most definitely. If money is no object, the Bimmer-Tech Plug-N-Play Module is the way to go. It is still 1/3 the price of OEM Activation.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #53
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent guys, thanks for the detailed responses once again. I am getting very close to giving this a. God, just need to speak to my friendly sales guy to understand the warranty implications for the rest of the car.

How would I enable BMW Apps if it was not previously enabled on the donor NBT?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #54
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You would need to buy a 9C FSC Code for the Donor NBT's VIN, or if using an emulator, use a set of existing FSC Codes form an NBT VIN that included factory 6NR so it already has a 9C FSC Code issued to it.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Right, makes sense.

Gong to get an honest response on the warranty implications from someone on the inside tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #56
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok. Good luck. My advice though is to get the Bimmer-Tech Plug-N-Play Activation Module, and just put your original head unit in the car for service, and never make mention of NBT Retofit. Then you really do not have to worry about warranty implications.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #57
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Let's see. Is initial advice was it would only affect the warranty of the hifi system and nothing else, but he wanted to check.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #58
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, got the response back on the warranty situation and it doesn't look good.

He thinks that even though the dealer doesn't care what you do to the car, if it needs any sort of electrical warranty work and BMW can see you have made modifications to the car (even if you removed them), then they would probably find an excuse not to cover the repairs under warranty.

I presume the coding changes you need to make to add the 609, then later remove it would leave a trace that is detectable. Plus unless we can find adapters, there are cabling difference post NBT upgrade which would be hard to reverse.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #59
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, got the response back on the warranty situation and it doesn't look good.

He thinks that even though the dealer doesn't care what you do to the car, if it needs any sort of electrical warranty work and BMW can see you have made modifications to the car (even if you removed them), then they would probably find an excuse not to cover the repairs under warranty.
No surprise there. BMW / a Dealership will always go out of their way to avoid warranty work, and blaming the customer for their modifications is their favorite reason.

That is why I advised using a plug-n-play activation module which allows the factory equipment to be returned to the vehicle with no trace of ever being modified.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #60
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is that the case that there will be no trace though? The mod seems destructive in the fact you have to remove the FAKRA connectors and also you are making coding changes to the car which are surely logged?

Also, I would normally have my dealer perform tyre changes for winter wheels twice a year, servicing and any other maintenance. Also, once the car is 3 years old I will also be having an MOT once per year too.

That sounds like a lot of work to keep swapping these around multiple times per year.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #61
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is that the case that there will be no trace though? The mod seems destructive in the fact you have to remove the FAKRA connectors and also you are making coding changes to the car which are surely logged?

Also, I would normally have my dealer perform tyre changes for winter wheels twice a year, servicing and any other maintenance. That sounds like a lot of work to keep swapping these around multiple times per year.
You can always make plug-n-play adapter for USB connection too.

If coding changes were an issue, then everyone who has coded their car would have an issue regardless of any actual modifications, and that simply isn't the case.

But, still retrofit option is not for everyone, particularly those overly concerned about warranty issues or those not wanting the hassle of returning car to factory condition prior to dealer service.

For me, coming from a CIC system, it isn't worthwhile at all. NBT is just a marginal improvement over CIC, and not worth the expense or effort to update. If I didn't have CIC, and was coming instead from a basic head unit, then I would retrofit NBT in a minute without hesitation.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #62
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can always make plug-n-play adapter for USB connection too.
Thanks for the patience Shawn. What is this USB plug play adapter required for? In the documented steps at the start of this post I see no comments about USB connections requiring any sort of modification.

I am coming from HU_Entry on a December 2013 car and don't have a Combox in the boot but do have USB and Line-In in the glove box (no enhanced bluetooth).

Do you know of anyone that makes adapters for the Fakra cables so I don't have to remove the shrouds (which I presume I can't easily reinstall).

Also, I have HK Audio so I assume I would also need to be cutting wires in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #63
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To my knowledge, the Fakra connector that needs modification is the USB one. I don't know anyone selling an adapter, but one can easily be made by buying both mating connectors and wiring it correctly.

As for HK Audio, you would still be using the same Amp, so I don't think any wires need to be cut related to it.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #64
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The instructions say to remove the fakra connections from blue, black pink and white (step 5).

They also state for Hifi audio it has a sense lead that runs to the head unit that will need cutting and attaching to the fuse box via a splice (step 10).

That was my reading but I could easily be wrong given this one set of instructions is covering two completely different installs.

Also, there is no mention of what is involved fitting the new drive touch controller (or screen).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #65
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The instructions say to remove the fakra connections from blue, black pink and white (step 5).

They also state for Hifi audio it has a sense lead that runs to the head unit that will need cutting and attaching to the fuse box via a splice (step 10).

That was my reading but I could easily be wrong given this one set of instructions is covering two completely different installs.

Also, there is no mention of what is involved fitting the new drive touch controller (or screen).
You can run NBT with regular non touch iDrive controller. If you add touch controller, you have to add the handwriting module, which would have to be spliced in.

But, for any connection that is needed, splicing can be replaced with custom plug-n-play harnesses. Splicing is not necessary.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #66
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Right, I didn't realise that. I thought it would just a drop in replacement for the regular controller. Would quite like the touch controller because it will make map navigation easier. Sounds like this could be more complex than I realised.
Appreciate 0