F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Breaking from 2012 NAIAS: F31 3 Series Touring is a GO for US. The X6 M50d is a NO
proTUNING Freaks

01-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #67
ayilar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If they offer the F30 with a manual in 328i then I can assume the F31Touring will also get manual transmission.
I certainly hope so. I expect to let the A4 sedan go next Summer (steering is awful, rest of the car is OK to very nice), and a blue F31 will likely be top of the list if it is available with a stick.
2008 C350, Steel grey, 7A (sold)
2005 SC230k, 6MT (sold).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #68
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
The Touring will have its World Premiere incidentally in its largest market which is also its home market , Germany at the AMI , Leipzig in April. Mirroring the launch of the BMW 5er Touring which also premiered in Leipzig.
Shame, I was hoping it may be shown at Geneva. I'll be there on the 10th.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #69
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Scott, did I read that correctly? WOOHOO!

I'll be sitting down to write a deal in the next month or two and I was curiously waiting to see what other changes might be introduced along with the N20 in the X3. I had given up hope BMW would offer a diesel in the X3 but I'm wondering if that engine choice will be introduced with the MY2013's. Production starts in April 2012 on X3 MY2013 so should I hold out for the X3 35d... is it really a possibility?

Quote:
In the X5 Diesel is a success. In the 335d E90 less so.
Active Hybrid 3 and Active Hybrid 5 are the counterparts for the US Market.

The X3 will receive a Diesel later this year in order to prepare and substitue until the F15 X5 arrives.
The X1 is finally expected to arrive in the US before the end of the year. And the plans are to introduce a four cylinder diesel in the X1.

The 3er Touring will arrive in 328i format with Sport,Modern and Luxury lines . Optional xDrive and M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #70
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

Quote:
The Touring will have its World Premiere incidentally in its largest market which is also its home market , Germany at the AMI , Leipzig in April.
Isn't AMI in June or am I looking at wrong information http://www.ami-leipzig.de/?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #71
Derek@MAC Auto Couture
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Congrats BMW, you've successfully driven me away from the marque with your lack of a midsize touring stateside. My e39 540it had me MORE than loyal for many years, but the lack of a suitable BMW replacement has led me to order a E63 Estate which I will receive in May. I can almost say for certain that I will not be the only one.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #72
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek@MAC Auto Couture View Post
Congrats BMW, you've successfully driven me away from the marque with your lack of a midsize touring stateside. My e39 540it had me MORE than loyal for many years, but the lack of a suitable BMW replacement has led me to order a E63 Estate which I will receive in May. I can almost say for certain that I will not be the only one.
Although I completely understand your frustration and choice to move on, it is worth noting that the F31 will be about the same size as and feature roughly the same interior volume as your E39 touring. Perhaps even more amazing is that, although it has only half the cylinders (the N20 will be the only engine choice in the US), it will boast straight line performance that is essentially equivalent to the E39 540i, and it will probably handle much better as well.

Now having said all that, obviously the E63 Estate is in a different class altogether and will bury any touring that BMW currently offers performance-wise. Also, because it is a much larger vehicle than either an F30 3 series or an E39 5 series, it will offer greater interior capacity as well. But then, of course, it is likely to cost more than double the F31 touring too.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #73
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Scott, did I read that correctly? WOOHOO!

I'll be sitting down to write a deal in the next month or two and I was curiously waiting to see what other changes might be introduced along with the N20 in the X3. I had given up hope BMW would offer a diesel in the X3 but I'm wondering if that engine choice will be introduced with the MY2013's. Production starts in April 2012 on X3 MY2013 so should I hold out for the X3 35d... is it really a possibility?
X3 diesel is 2013 model year. More news at Geneva (US specifics at NYIAS).
      02-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #74
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
X3 diesel is 2013 model year. More news at Geneva (US specifics at NYIAS).
To be clear, mapezzul, do you mean it will come at the start of MY2013 (this April), or just that it will come sometime during the 2013 MY (which could realistically go until late 2013)?

Also, do you know if it will be the N57 this time (US 335d and X5 35d have the M57 IIRC)? And if so, will we get the twin turbo version?

At any rate this is good to hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #75
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek@MAC Auto Couture View Post

You cannot entirely blame the manufacturer because it is a trend and a cycle and blame can be appointed with some who look in a mirror every day.

If you consider Europe. Well the volume manufactuers such as Ford etc had luxury cars in the class of BMW 5er etc and they were wiped out by the lure of German Prestige.
Wagons in the US have been outperformed by SUV's. The US remains the Worlds largest market for SUVs.

The E-Klasse T-Modell remains the only mid-size Wagon in the US but has fallen to the same problems that led BMW to pull the 5er , Audi to pull the A6 Avant and Volvo to pull the V70. The relative SUV in this case the ML-Klasse is cannibalizing it in regards to sales and all round appeal.

The Touring 3er comes to the US but is on watch ,The E91 was being outsold by the X3 and the forthcoming X1 appears better suited to a market that does not take to Tourings. If the F31 underperforms then expect it be pulled asap.

If you take the Premium entry market of wagons - The F31 will be alone except for the Audi A4 Allroad as Audi have now pulled the A4 avant because it was outpeformed by the Q5 SUV, and Mercedes do not import the C-Klasse because they have the GLK SUV.
      02-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #76
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k View Post
Isn't AMI in June or am I looking at wrong information http://www.ami-leipzig.de/?
No you are quite correct. But with the AMI always in April I am more familiar using April with the AMI.
With the AMI I understand that the organisers are trying to bring a sort of IAA feeling to the AMI and make it more stand out to be something similar to the bi-annual IAA. The 2010 show brought some World premieres especially from BMW and its new date will ensure that manufacturers latest models revealed in The Spring events of Geneva , New York and Beijing will be shown at the first International show of the Summer.
Aswell as German manufacturers who are lining up specific premieres for the AMI - BMW included.

BMW will again have a large stand to show its World Premieres and the Beijing star on home turf. Leipzig is also a home to BMW and the 1er , X1 and the BMWi family, so expect great emphasis on them.
      02-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #77
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

I would have gone for an E91 instead of my E90 last year if it had been offered with a stronger engine, brakes, and so forth. The fuel efficiency of a 328i touring was no better than a 335i sedan, so that was a minus as well. The N20 engine may be a game-changer for the US market, as the performance and fuel efficiency have both been improved. This might have narrowed the gap enough for me had it been available at the time.

Another big minus on most of the E91 tourings sold here is the GM-sourced automatic. Most tourings come that way unless special-ordered with a manual in the US market. The new 8-speed automatic that will likely be offered on the F31 is a much more responsive unit, offering a good compromise between performance and efficiency.

Another issue I had with the US-market E91 was that it came standard with the sunroof, which adds weight where you need it least - on the roof. I asked around about a sunroof-delete option and was told that it was not likely for US-bound cars, as a separate model would have to be crash-tested without a sunroof. It also adds cost, which doesn't help the case in the US market. The cost premium for a base price E91 touring over a base price E90 sedan in the US was something like $2,500. This was also a deal-breaker for me, as by the time I added eqiupment I wanted to a 328i touring, it came up too close to 335i sedan pricing for me to justify it.

Finally, I hope that BMW doesn't saddle the F31 with x-drive as the only choice like they did with the E61. This is great if you live in the frozen wasteland, but for those of us in warmer climates, it makes no sense at all - just added weight that isn't needed.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #78
juice13
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
I would have gone for an E91 instead of my E90 last year if it had been offered with a stronger engine, brakes, and so forth. The fuel efficiency of a 328i touring was no better than a 335i sedan, so that was a minus as well. The N20 engine may be a game-changer for the US market, as the performance and fuel efficiency have both been improved. This might have narrowed the gap enough for me had it been available at the time.
SNIP

I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
Finally, I hope that BMW doesn't saddle the F31 with x-drive as the only choice like they did with the E61. This is great if you live in the frozen wasteland, but for those of us in warmer climates, it makes no sense at all - just added weight that isn't needed.
I think it depends if the X1 only comes in X-Drive. I see the 328 touring competing for the same market share as the X1 especially if they are both available in RWD or AWD guise. Let's hope they see the added market value of a higher MPG wagon in RWD form.

-Jonathan
'07 335i E90 blue/brown/stock/stick/sport/stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #79
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
it is worth noting that the F31 will be about the same size as and feature roughly the same interior volume as your E39 touring.
As an E39 owner, I can confirm that the F30 I looked at today had subjectively same or more interior space and definitely more usable legroom. I don't think the trunk space will be as large (the sheet metal design is very different), but I could live with that.

By the way, seat and steering wheel adjustments in the F30 are absolutely insane. At the farthest position, my legs were almost completely straight (we're talking about 37" inseam here), and I could comfortably hold the steering wheel at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #80
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

Cool ;D let's hope for the f31 335
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #81
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

How about a Diesel or manual?

I agree with you! Market the Wagon. VW has done very well with the TDI Sport Wagon! Is there any remote chance of a Diesel option on the new Touring 3 series. I would love a Manual as well!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #82
miko_10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

4 pages and no renderings
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #83
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by miko_10 View Post
4 pages and no renderings
Try these threads...
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651508
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652144
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674717
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #84
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
3 series touring is such a waste. They should use those same resources to bring us a Z4M haha
You can buy Z4Ms all day for $20k. Go buy one. Coupe or 'vert. Excellent car.

Or do you mean you, for some reason, wish they sold the BigHeavyPig Z4 with an M motor? I don't know what the point of that is. I guess for the blue-hair SL63 crowd.
Appreciate 0