F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M Retention
proTUNING Freaks
View Poll Results: Will you buy a future M product?
Yes (my next car will definitely be an M) 26 19.70%
Most likely (I like where M is going but may look at the competition) 21 15.91%
Maybe (I'm treating all competition equally and not basing my purchase off previous cars) 49 37.12%
Most likely not (Unless M changes direction, I will look at other cars) 26 19.70%
No (don't like/wouldn't buy current M cars, definitely not buying future Ms) 10 7.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

12-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

BMW M Retention

Just trying to gauge the enthusiast community's future M buying plans.

Pretty simple... for those that have bought an M car recently (a real M car) or those that have been driving one for awhile, will you be buying future generations of the M2/3/4/5/6...?

I know we don't know the specs of the future cars but I think we all understand where the M brand is going and what is to come in the future.

For me, I am completely done with M and BMW. I've owned an M4, 1M, e36 M3, and a e89 Z4 (I know, not an M). I don't like BMW and M's approach to appealing to such a wide audience. By doing that, they have diluted the brand and made the M brand less focused / niche. I want to feel like driving something special with it's own character. Not to mention, I think the size of the cars, sound of the cars and electrical gizmos are all going in the wrong direction.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      12-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

It's not like RS or AMG is any better. They are pretty dull. Domestics are stepping up big time.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I did not vote...I don't see my option, I plan to keep my E92 forever...have no desire for any new generation M3/4. BMW and every car manufacturer is going to do what ever to sell cars and to appeal to as many buyers as they can. Much of the on going changes are EPA driven and have to be done to sell cars period!
Appreciate 1
X2Board443.50
      12-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
HerbNRacer
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
I did not vote...I don't see my option, I plan to keep my E92 forever...have no desire for any new generation M3/4. BMW and every car manufacturer is going to do what ever to sell cars and to appeal to as many buyers as they can. Much of the on going changes are EPA driven and have to be done to sell cars period!
+1
      12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Wouldn't you select 'no'? You have a previous M car but don't plan to buy a future M car...
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
I want to feel like driving something special with it's own character.
I'm curious which auto manufacturer that sells vehicles which compete with M products you think is doing a better job at that?

Or perhaps you intend to switch to a sports car brand, such as Porsche? No doubt that will give you a more raw experience. Of course, you'll give up some versatility and utility, but if you are in a position to do that, certainly no one could fault you for it. I think that a great deal of us - no doubt a majority - who drive M vehicles require and value the day-to-day usability the vehicles offer. In fact, one could even go as far as to say that, if someone purchases an M vehicle and does not have practicality high on their list of requirements, then that someone may not have purchased the most suitable vehicle for their needs to begin with. And indeed, such a set of circumstances can sometimes lead to dissatisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
It's not like RS or AMG is any better. They are pretty dull. Domestics are stepping up big time.
If I wanted comfort, power and sound, AMG is the leader compared to RS and M. Agree on the domestic front.
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      12-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'm curious which auto manufacturer that sells vehicles which compete with M products you think is doing a better job at that?

Or perhaps you intend to switch to a sports car brand, such as Porsche? No doubt that will give you a more raw experience. Of course, you'll give up some versatility and utility, but if you are in a position to do that, certainly no one could fault you for it. I think that a great deal of us - no doubt a majority - who drive M vehicles require and value the day-to-day usability the vehicles offer. In fact, one could even go as far as to say that, if someone purchases an M vehicle and does not have practicality high on their list of requirements, then that someone may not have purchased the most suitable vehicle for their needs to begin with. And indeed, such a set of circumstances can sometimes lead to dissatisfaction.
That's the point of the thread. I'm also curious if one chooses to stay with M, why? If they had or have an M and plan to venture out, why?

I am just one data point and have already explained my reasoning for leaving on the 1st post.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am just one data point and have already explained my reasoning for leaving on the 1st post.
Hmm, but did you miss the fact that I quoted that very post and asked you to elaborate?

It's a discussion forum, so you should expect others to ask questions and try to foster a conversation.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
HerbNRacer
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Wouldn't you select 'no'? You have a previous M car but don't plan to buy a future M car...

Guess you're right. I would get one if they decided driving experience is key again. But with electric cars on the way there will be less and less input from the driver and more disconnections from the machine. We will never see the likes of a traditional “true” drivers car ever again IMO…
      12-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, but did you miss the fact that I quoted that very post and asked you to elaborate?

It's a discussion forum, so you should expect others to ask questions and try to foster a conversation.
Sorry, can't describe 'special'. Just a feeling I get without parameters.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, can't describe 'special'. Just a feeling I get without parameters.
Ok, well, since you can't provide any material example for an alternate which you'd prefer, I'll just conclude you are primarily on the "grass is greener" path and shooting from the hip here without a lot of energy spent on forethought.

You seem to have your heels dug in pretty deeply with your position, so I'm sure you'll be able to talk yourself into buying a competitor's car irrespective of whether it does a better job at anything material. Not necessarily anything wrong with that. After all, if the next thing you buy doesn't work out, you can just keep bouncing around. You'll see people come on the forum who've been through all of that, and it makes for interesting reading. Often times they end up right back where they started.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      12-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Nope.

Turbos are deal breakers for me
AWD is a deal breaker for me
EPS is a deal breaking for me
Automatic transmissions are a deal breaker for me

15 years and counting of DDing M cars, new and used, and nothing they make currently appeals to me in the slightest.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok, well, since you can't provide any material example for an alternate which you'd prefer, I'll just conclude you are primarily on the "grass is greener" path and shooting from the hip here without a lot of energy spent on forethought.

You seem to have your heels dug in pretty deeply with your position, so I'm sure you'll be able to talk yourself into buying a competitor's car irrespective of whether it does a better job at anything material. Not necessarily anything wrong with that. After all, if the next thing you buy doesn't work out, you can just keep bouncing around. You'll see people come on the forum who've been through all of that, and it makes for interesting reading. Often times they end up right back where they started.
I already received an allocation for the new GT3 and it's on its way. I guess that's the route I am going for the next few years. Sure it's a lot more money than M cars but there are plenty more expensive cars that just don't do it for me and plenty less expensive cars that I would love to have as well, so it's not a $$ thing.

Cars are like women. You date around until you meet the 'right' one. Some people never find the right one and others find it in high school, lol. Same with cars. People may be able to express different components of the girl that they like, but there's also the dark matter that you can't quite explain.

As I explained, sound, size, and analog feel are major components but not everything.

What's your stance mr. moderator? this is a discussion forum after all
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #15
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Nope.

15 years and counting of DDing M cars, new and used, and nothing they make currently appeals to me in the slightest.
That's awesome, I'm glad people like you exist out there
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Nope.

Agreed. This is why the M coupe would be my last BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #17
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

OP you may want to add one more option "Will be buying older M products only".
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
To the OP, are M240i owners eligible for this poll?

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      12-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already received an allocation for the new GT3 and it's on its way. I guess that's the route I am going for the next few years. Sure it's a lot more money than M cars but there are plenty more expensive cars that just don't do it for me and plenty less expensive cars that I would love to have as well, so it's not a $$ thing.
Congrats on the purchase. So this is your new DD?

That's definitely in a different league from any M product. No doubt that with a budget like that, and if I hypothetically didn't need back seats, I'd choose something completely different too. Probably not a GT3 - more likely an F-Type SVR, AMG GT R, or perhaps the brand new Vantage. But something with two seats and more exotic in any case.

Quote:
What's your stance mr. moderator? this is a discussion forum after all
I answered "Maybe". But then that's the way I've always approached the process. It happens that M has come up with the best match for my criteria three times running. I am disappointed that they will not be offering a sub-M3, four door, M-proper model though. I don't really want a vehicle larger than my F80. My next purchase is at least two years away, and could be as many as four. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
To the OP, are M240i owners eligible for this poll?
Umm... I guess. I’m not the law around here
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #21
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
OP you may want to add one more option "Will be buying older M products only".
I’m not too interested in that actually. I’m more interested in if enthusiasts are generally intrigued with where the M brand is going after experiencing older M cars. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Very interesting poll OP......I'll sit on the sideline for awhile ......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0