F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > So Tesla Model 3 taking reservations 3/31? Takers?
GetBMWParts

02-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #45
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
How do you have no ability to charge at home? An apartment with no parking? If that is not an issue all you have to do is plug in when you get home at night. What's hard about that? Remember you never have to stop at a gas station.
you know how long it takes to recharge a Tesla with a standard wall outlet? It won't be charged overnight.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-13-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #46
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
All that charging maintenance sounds horrible.
Every single time I get home instead of just parking, grabbing my things and walking inside; I'd HAVE to add another step. Same goes with leaving home... Forget about just jumping in the car and going. You added another step here too. Then consider both these extra steps will take place in rain, snow (here at least), cold, heat, when you're in a rush, when your hands are full, etc.. Also consider that charging cable is outside in all this weather so cable management will likely be a less-than-clean process too.
All this inconvenience from extra fuel maintenance earns me what? A vehicle with much less functionality. Doesn't sound like an intelligent choice.
The Model S goes over 200 miles on a full charge; so unless you have a bitch of a commute, you would not need to charge the car every time you get home. I'm not sure if the Model 3 will have a similar range.

But I agree--if you don't have a charge port at home, it's not a sensible car. If you drive it all around on the weekend running around, and your office building has a charger port--what do you do? Go hang out at the office for a few hours on Sunday afternoon and catch upon some work?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #47
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
You already have to go to work every single day, what difference does it make if the car is charging 8 hours at work or 8 hours at home?
Realize that California, especially around SF, is a totally different world with regard to EVs. I think I may have seen ONE place in the entire Philadelphia area that has an EV charging station--there's probably one at the King of Prussia mall. I work in an office complex of 6 buildings, plus a hotel -- no EV charging station there. Nor at my wife's office complex.

Even if your office complex has one, what if you take a few days off of work--do you have to go in on a vacation day to charge your car? Not very practical.

I saw one at a hotel I stayed at in MD last year--the hotel had 100s of rooms, and 1 EV charger. I've read stories where people unplug other people's cars to charge their own.

CA is on the forefront in this area--it's not like that in most areas of the country, even major metro areas.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #48
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
This comes from a forum member who in this very thread said an EV wouldn't work for him. We get it... You like the concept. In the end though you aren't willing to live with this vehicle either.
You're wrong. I'd buy one if it fit my lifestyle but I travel for work and need more range.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #49
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
you know how long it takes to recharge a Tesla with a standard wall outlet? I won't be charged overnight.
Install a 220v charger.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #50
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
you know how long it takes to recharge a Tesla with a standard wall outlet? I won't be charged overnight.
Install a 220v charger.
Yep, Atlanta has a ton of EVs rolling around, only a small number of charge stations, plus Georgia Power wants you to plug in only after 11pm at home; know how inconvenient that sounds?

People with the Leaf take in the balls hard since that thing can't seem to go 50 miles.

I'd get the high volt charger if I go electric and would only need to plug in maybe twice a week of the car gets over 200 miles of range.

Gas may be cheap today (Gator, where you at?! ), but the future is electric or hybrid plug in, so I may as well switch. After all, the 3 series is good, but not like it was, so what am I losing here by moving to Tesla? :

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #51
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
Model S. I love the performance, love the looks, HATE the interior. HATE the touch everything controls. I think its the worst interior ever actually. That bad. And i Dont want to worry about range on long trips. I am the guy that panics when my cell phone drops below 85%. lol. not for me. I hope the Model 3 gets a nice interior and more range without any loss of performance from the model S. Then i may think about it.
when's the last time you sat in one? i just checked out a model s the other weekend and the interior is very impressive. i guess it had the upgraded interior because of the seats, but it was amazing.

tesla has a feature that will automatically direct you to a charging station when you drop to a certain percentage so you don't have to worry about range. if you are trying to go long distance that's the same thing as gas. just have to gauge how long you can go without having the car die lol

keep dreaming about what you want though. more range? nicer interior than what is offered? no loss in performance? all for $35k? it won't happen for any car company. also you have range anxiety but have an f10 m5...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #52
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Install a 220v charger.
In the condo's parking garage or common areas? Good luck.

YOU said "all you need is a plug." That is not true. Not everyone, especially apartment dwellers, have the ability to install 220v chargers.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-13-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #53
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
Every single time I get home instead of just parking, grabbing my things and walking inside; I'd HAVE to add another step. Same goes with leaving home... Forget about just jumping in the car and going. You added another step here too. Then consider both these extra steps will take place in rain, snow (here at least), cold, heat, when you're in a rush, when your hands are full, etc.. Also consider that charging cable is outside in all this weather so cable management will likely be a less-than-clean process too.
All this inconvenience from extra fuel maintenance earns me what? A vehicle with much less functionality. Doesn't sound like an intelligent choice.
The Model S goes over 200 miles on a full charge; so unless you have a bitch of a commute, you would not need to charge the car every time you get home. I'm not sure if the Model 3 will have a similar range.

But I agree--if you don't have a charge port at home, it's not a sensible car. If you drive it all around on the weekend running around, and your office building has a charger port--what do you do? Go hang out at the office for a few hours on Sunday afternoon and catch upon some work?
A few words on range... People should consider their current reserve range comfort level. I wouldn't normally go below 50 miles of estimated remaining range in vehicles I can refuel quickly and near everyplace. Surely I'd want to allow for more range reserve in an EV. A good starting point for consideration might be the range rule of thumb others (air, naval) use where you allow for an extra 50% of the round trip.
      02-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #54
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Quote:
Answer: I live in a condo. There is no place to break out an extension cord! But even if I could... Every single time I use this car I have to fuel (charge) it up? Who wants to deal with that crap.
Why is it so hard to plug the car in when you get home at night? This literally takes 15 seconds.
The market/demographics for this car are people who have a private residence, their own garage and their own charging station. That's the majority of Americans at this price point. You're in the minority otherwise.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #55
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Yep, Atlanta has a ton of EVs rolling around, only a small number of charge stations, plus Georgia Power wants you to plug in only after 11pm at home; know how inconvenient that sounds?

People with the Leaf take in the balls hard since that thing can't seem to go 50 miles.

I'd get the high volt charger if I go electric and would only need to plug in maybe twice a week of the car gets over 200 miles of range.

Gas may be cheap today (Gator, where you at?! ), but the future is electric or hybrid plug in, so I may as well switch. After all, the 3 series is good, but not like it was, so what am I losing here by moving to Tesla? :
I'm certain you can plug in a Tesla any time but program the time it charges.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #56
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47 View Post
That front-end somehow looks like Maserati GT or Aston Martin
Or a Ride-The-Ducks amphibious bus

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net.../454387514.jpg
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #57
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

There are far more charging stations around Atlanta than you think. Hundreds.

http://www.electrifyatlanta.com/EVSE-map.pdf

As far as cars like the Leaf and most other EV's, they are commuter cars. Drive them to work and on a few errands and plug in at night.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #58
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

That was the biggest reason we passed. We live in Manhattan and don't have regular access to a charging port here. Plenty of garages have them, but we typically street park, so paying a garage fee just to charge the thing wasn't doing it for me. The flip side is that my hospital has a number of charging stations there so I could charge the car all day long there for free, which made the prospect tempting. But then weekend trips, which we do about once a month would be an issue, plus those random times we would need to charge during the week for whatever reason.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #59
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
That was the biggest reason we passed. We live in Manhattan and don't have regular access to a charging port here. Plenty of garages have them, but we typically street park, so paying a garage fee just to charge the thing wasn't doing it for me. The flip side is that my hospital has a number of charging stations there so I could charge the car all day long there for free, which made the prospect tempting. But then weekend trips, which we do about once a month would be an issue, plus those random times we would need to charge during the week for whatever reason.
If that's your only car, it's a tough compromise.

That's the same reason I'm skeptical about the Model X. I know, for me, it would be a challenge to use that as a family vehicle on trips.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #60
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
If that's your only car, it's a tough compromise.

That's the same reason I'm skeptical about the Model X. I know, for me, it would be a challenge to use that as a family vehicle on trips.
Yeah this was going to be our only car. Even the Tesla sales guy said it wasn't for us and didn't want to sell it to us if we weren't going to be 100% happy. We're looking to make a move to the burbs this year, and I really liked their straightforward approach and honesty so the Model S is still on our radar for sure.

Not sold on the Model X because honestly I'm just not sold on CUV/SUVs in general, but that's a different story...

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #61
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
condo life- yeah i get...
but otherwise it's not much more effort than getting gas. just plug it in and forget it. how often do you get gas? i get gas once every 2 weeks!

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #62
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Quote:

There are far more charging stations around Atlanta than you think. Hundreds.

http://www.electrifyatlanta.com/EVSE-map.pdf

As far as cars like the Leaf and most other EV's, they are commuter cars. Drive them to work and on a few errands and plug in at night.
Numbers are deceptive at times. A change station in a grocery store lot is with what? When it's not a super fast station and you own a car that is slow to charge like the Leaf.

Trust, I have a number of co-workers with that car and they encounter all sorts of issues on days they forget to plug in the previous night.

The Tesla folks have far fewer headaches. If you can indeed plug in the car to the outlet, then set actual change time as you stated, that's a problem solver. Not sure about the Leaf.

One guy in the office has the i3, he also has the extender, to he plugs in 3 times a week tops.

I can work on figuring it out since this new Tesla is on my short list for the next ride.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #63
pocky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91

I'm going to put my deposit down for one, I work at a Tesla service center.. Looking forward to it. Being able to supercharge for me is just wonders. I own a Fiat 500e as a commuter when they were blowing them out for $99 a month. It's great not needing to put gas into "1" vehicle I own.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #64
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Numbers are deceptive at times. A change station in a grocery store lot is with what? When it's not a super fast station and you own a car that is slow to charge like the Leaf.

Trust, I have a number of co-workers with that car and they encounter all sorts of issues on days they forget to plug in the previous night.

The Tesla folks have far fewer headaches. If you can indeed plug in the car to the outlet, then set actual change time as you stated, that's a problem solver. Not sure about the Leaf.

One guy in the office has the i3, he also has the extender, to he plugs in 3 times a week tops.

I can work on figuring it out since this new Tesla is on my short list for the next ride.
Doesn't matter. What's key is the mentality of EV owners. Most are making a commitment to the concept and are willing to make sacrifices for the long term gain and the obvious benefit of never paying for gasoline.

I don't know what the long term future is for automotive propulsion but there's little doubt that there will be more EV's, better battery technology and better infrastructure. Despite low oil prices, GM and BMW among others have spent huge amounts on the technology. I would not be surprised if the G20 3 series has at the least some regenerative function. And GM is going all out with the Bolt.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #65
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Will they still be in business when the model 3 is scheduled to be delivered?

LOL.....Elon Musk will be juuuusssssttttttt fine....

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #66
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

My wife is really interested in the Tesla Model 3 and there's a high chance that we will buy one as our next car. But we won't be buying another car for 3-4 more years at least. By then, I hope that rapid charging stations are much more commonplace. We would only seriously commit to EV cars once charging stations are aplenty...like gas stations currently are. Till then, we will always have at least one gasoline powered car for longer trips.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0