F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

06-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #1519
Kingkajee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d M Sport

Thank you.

Made some progress today. Managed to get the usb port in glove box working. I was then able to load FSC files. Navigation now works and I no longer have any rejected FSC.

Because I had the Hu_champ2 it was not necessary for me to rotate the usb connector.
. I need to try and locate the combox (I'm nit sure I have one)

I still have issues around BT, usb in armrest, Aux and mic
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #1520
roadhero
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328, X3 xDrive 28i

Question

Hi all. Thanks for all the contributions, this thread has been really helpful.

I would really appreciate some help as I've come to a dead end with the retrofit ;(

Initial setup: F25 08/2013, HU_CHAMP with Combox, PDC and rear camera. FAs related to electronics:

876 Radio frequency 315 MHz
645 BMW US Radio
697 Area-Code 1 for DVD
6NH Hands-free system with USB interface
693 Preparation BMW satellite radio
6VC Control, Combox
508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
663 Radio BMW Professional
6AE Teleservices
319 Integrated universal remote control
676 HiFi speaker system
6AC Intelligent emergency call
6VB Control Infotainment
3AG Reversing camera

Story began when a friend of mine gave me a 8.8" screen as a present and I went ahead to replace the 6.5" HU_CHAMP one (before reading that this won't work). When I recognized it, I've found a good deal on Harman's HU_ENTRYNAV and decided to go with it (the unit is the one with no navigation). Unit says EN2H / 6512-6821169

Things done:
- Installed the unit, display turned on, very limited menu shown, no sound
- Wrote my VIN to the unit via FSC
- Disconnected Combox, terminated MOST via adapter
- Removed the following codes and FA coded the car: 645, 697, 693, 6VC, 6AE, 6AC
- Injected CAFD to Entrynav
- Tried to upgrade Entrynav to match with the car, with no luck (don't know it's original I-step, unfortunately)

After a successful CAFD injection, display stopped showing any info (although, the LCD lights up) and stays black with the backlight on.

I would appreciate any piece of advice and direction, would love to make the current setup work but have no ideas what's currently wrong besides maybe Zeitkriterium change?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #1521
XanderX
Banned
Rep
Drives: F36

hey guys

i have the following error in ista:

Connection headunit to GPS aerial: Line disconnection.

The fault is entered when a line disconnection is detected between the headunit and GPS aerial for at least 10 s.

the idea is that i have id4 flashed to id6 and the GPS is working through ATM (i have an ATM box)

is there a way to code with esys to disable GPS from head unit and the clear the error from ista?

I've done the :
SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER - to nicht_aktiv
ADAS_GPS Nicht_Aktiv
GPS_FROM_NAVI Nicht_Akitv

any ideas?

thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #1522
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You can upgrade to NBT or NBT EVO - whichever fits your budget.

Only thing that you will need to note is that most if not all NBT EVO units in the US do not have the GPS receiver built into the head unit so you will not be able to use the factory on board nav but if you're only looking to use Apple CarPlay, it won't be an issue.

Looking at your setup, you will also need to replace some of the wiring currently going into the trunk so that these connections run directly to the new head unit instead. If you plan on using your pre-existing screen, a voltage adapter will also be required.

We do offer a service where you can source your own head unit and have it sent to us so that we can modify the logic board to include a GPS port and have it all pre-programmed and activated to your VIN so that it is plug and play.
Hi Steve - can you PM the pricing for this service? I have found a few options to source my own NBT headunit, but trying to decide if I want to go through with the full NBT ID6 headunit or just use something like the Road Top MMI which gives me Carplay but retains OEM functionality.

Ideally would like to upgrade to NBT ID6, but also be able to use factory GPS system when I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #1523
niksss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupedream View Post
Same thing is going on with mine. Also scroll does not work. Nbt retrofit to nbt evo from g30. Anyone know the fix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.e.s.t.e.r View Post
I changed my entrynav to NBT EVO ID5.
Everything works fine except turning the screen on / off. Once in thirty starts, the screen remains dark, sometimes when I close the car the screen does not turn off, I have to wait until the car sleeps.
I suspect I have to change something in FEM.
Can anyone suggest how to recode FEM from small CIC to NBT EVO?
Hey guys I have the same problem with my F10 (2016 F10 with NBT). I retrofited NBT Evo with my old screen (using voltage regulator) and every lets say 10 starts the screen remains off. I hold the power button for 20 seconds and when the unit reboots usually everything is fine and the screen turns on. Anyone have an idea ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #1524
MPowerDZ
Algeria
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@codemybimmer View Post
UPDATE! we got armrest USB and A2DP wroking. Will update this thread soon, still trying to put evrything back in one piece

Don't think there has been a full documented DIY for HU_NBT yet so im posting one here.

This is a project Aritaurus and I are working on, it is still a WIP, some functions are not working. I didn't get pictures for parts of the process but feel free to PM me to clarify some details if needed, I'll try to write down everything I remember.
We have install this NBT unit into 2 cars, one with CIC and one with ENTRY HU's so I'll do it write up for both.

Phase One. Physical

Step One

Take off your dash trim (pictures are from my old AMP+sub install DIY)
Start from the right side of the trip to the left. pry from under the silver trim and when you get enough out you will be able to pull out the entire piece.

Once you get the piece out, unplug the door lock and vent control buttons. just tug on them and they will come out.

Step Two

Pry off the trim piece under the HVAC controls. just use your fingers and gently pull down from under the HVAC controls. takes little to no strength at all to get this piece out.

Step Three

There are Four (4) Torx 20 screws holding the control unit in place, one in each corner. Unscrew it and unplug the connector on the back. (this takes a lot of force the first time pulling it out. felt like i was about to break mine)

Step Four

There are 2 Torx 20 screws holding the head unit in. one on each side, unscrew and pull the head unit out.
There are numerous connections on the back unplug them.
1) big block of wires there's a latch. unlatch and pull. This one is the shortest so unhooking it first lets you pull the unit out more so you have more room to work with.
2) disconnect the HSD connectors, one for the screen (pink/purple) and one for USB (white/beige). Pretty straight forward there's a latch, push it with your thumb and pull.
Pink/Purple : Screen connector
white : armrest USB/AUX (HU_Entry only)
beige : glove box USB (HU_CIC only)
3) The rest of the cables...complete PITA... They have a white tab on them. Pull the white tab away form the connection and use your thumb to press the white tab against the actual cable and pull the connector out.
Black : FM radio antenna (AM antenna as well for HU_CIC)
White : AM radio antenna (HU_Entry only)
Pink : Aerial GPS receiver probably for Sirius Satelite radio
Blue : GPS receiver

The back of HU_Entry is not marked which color goes where so mark it yourself somewhere.

Step Five

Remove the Fakra connection heads (plastic pieces) for Blue, Black, Pink, White.
Take a set of vice grips and clamp down on the head and pliers holding the metal cable at the back and pull straight up and the plastic piece will pop off (watch the surrounding area so you don't hit anything. i smacked my mirror pretty hard with the vice grip.

Reason for doing so, look at the following picture:

Blue (left) is the connector that goes into HU_NBT.
Black (right) is the connector in your car. They don't match and will not fit into the slot for HU_NBT.
Middle is how the connector will look after you remove the plastic piece.

I guess a way around this is to buy an adapter cable. I'm not sure if they make that type of cable but I assume they do somewhere.

Step Six

Remove the Screen.
ontop of the vents in the center dashboard there are 2 Torx 20 screws, unscrew them. Be careful doing this because it can easily fall into the vents and my assumption is you're very screwed if it damages the lower in there.
After these two screws are out you just pull the screen straight up and it will come out.

Step Seven

On the back of the NBT the fakra connections. trim them off or else it will not make full contact with the port. Do it for Black , White , Pink , Blue
You only need to do it for blue if you're coming from CIC. If you're coming from Entry then you can buy a fakra GPS receiver from ebay. that will save you time and effort form dragging a wire form the rood down to the HU.

These connectors:

Note: if you buy adapters you can skip thus step

Step Eight
Plug everything back in. make sure you have the canbus filter or else navigation will not work. can filter looks like this:
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/imag...wm-500x500.jpg

Note: tape the fakra connections down to the head unit to ensure it does not pop off while driving. cause they are a bit loose and there's no way to secure it unless you buy and adapter.

Step Nine
Put everything back together and you will have a somewhat functioning head unit. GPS, Radio, music library (if the previous car came with some stored) will work, all the menus/functions and sound will work. Enjoy!

Note: We are still trying to figure out how to get USB/AUX and Bluetooth to work. stay tuned

Step Ten
ONLY REQUIRED FOR THOSE WITH HiFi SOUND SYSTEMS
If you don't get any sound coming out of the unit you will need to do this.
Go to the trunk, find the amp. Left side underneath the black cover.

Unplug the plug there. find the thinnest BLACK wire on that bunch of cables. This is your trigger wire. For those unfamiliar with amps, this wire receives a signal form your head unit to tell the amp to turn on. if your amp is not on, you won't get any sound.

Cut this wire. tap into the end that goes to the amp. and wire it straight to the fuse box in the trunk. The fuse box in the trunk only turns on when your doors are unlocks and shuts off after a period of time so don;t worry about battery draining.

To plug it into your fuse box you have 2 options:
1) jam it into a free fuse slot
2) buy something called add-a-circuit. Looks like this:

I recommend option 2

Step Eleven

Bring the USB connector from the combox to the head unit.

1) unplug the USB HSD connector.

2) unscrew the hooks for trunk net with a T40

3) Take your bottom part of your seats out.
Just grab the seats and pull straight up.
same thing with the driver side shoulder rest part of the seats. (don't know the exact term but the part in between the door and the actual seats)

4) Find the thickest black cable or trace the USB HSD cable from the combox and start unwrapping it form the bunch of wires. it goes from combox -> shoulder piece -> front of the seats -> middle lump in middle rear seats -> armrest slot.

Once you get as close to the arm rest as you can. stop

Step Twelve

Take apart unplug the HSD USB connection from the arm rest.

1) if you look inside your arm rest there's the USB port is on its own plastic piece and you can just lift it out of place with little to no force. unplug the usb connector. (its white on this end)

2) take apart the rear vents. Start from the top left corner, pry, then go top right corner and down to left and right corners.

3) at this point when you look inside you'll notice there's a plastic vent piece, just pull it out. its long and goes all the way to the front, don;t worry its very easy to put this back.

4) Drag the cable from inside the arm rest as close to marked location (2) as possible. the lines show you how the cable is routed. goes into the arm rest at position 1, goes to position 3 and then to position A.

When you get the cable to position 2, fold the carpet down to position A and find the other end of the cable.

Grab the cable from position A and pull as hard as you can. The carpet is too tight for you to break the clip holding the cable down so pultting it will break it and free the cable completely.

5) Drag the cable up through the left side of the center console, you can tuck it in underneath the plastic. in the area underneath your steering wheel there is a hole you can feed the cable through to the back of the head unit.

Step Thirteen

Zip tie the cables so they arent loose and dangling everywhere and put everything back together.

Thats it for now, I will update this post once we figure out more.

Hello, i have no sound after After I retrofit from CIC Entry to EntryNav Can you please explain to me how to do that? The pictures no longer availble
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 03:50 AM   #1525
RustyFlyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT

Hi All,

I'm in Asia so more expensive to get ECE-US touch controller.
Anyone have any idea if the Asian versions of the touch controller (ECE-CHINA/JAPAN/KOREA) can handle English letters?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 03:04 PM   #1526
SharkGrogu
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 LCI

S 0308 - No communication possible with: Touchbox

I managed to successfully retrofit an NBT navigation system on my car and I see this error with ISTA:

S 0308 - No communication possible with: Touchbox

Is there any option in E-Sys than could help me getting rid of this error?
Like somehow disable the touch option that recognizes the handwriting?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:51 AM   #1527
ivanivanusic
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d

Garage List
  [0.00]
Has anybody found aftermarket GPS antenna which doesn't throw error B7F80F
Appreciate 0