F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > RACECHIP FOR F30 335I vs afe vs jb4
GetBMWParts

04-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #23
tms1224
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive,msport,6mt

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
@mike
Well I can tell u that the boost spike at low rpm is way smoother and linear then jb4 or afe ..sounds like the boost is allready controlled at rpm levels😉 this seems to be a common observation from anyone that actually has a racechip. Hey anyone wanna by my used jb4 so they can control the boost by rpm so it's more like the racechip maps??
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #24
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms1224 View Post
@mike
Well I can tell u that the boost spike at low rpm is way smoother and linear then jb4 or afe ..sounds like the boost is allready controlled at rpm levels😉 this seems to be a common observation from anyone that actually has a racechip. Hey anyone wanna by my used jb4 so they can control the boost by rpm so it's more like the racechip maps??
Boost is not controlled by RPM level except with a JB4, thats why your tune is a stage 1 and the JB4 is a stage 2.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
@mike .. jb4 u can change 1psi in initial boost hit .. That makes it a stage 2 ? U can select diff maps that have diff initial boost spikes on Rc . The only real difference is on the fly map select, code read/ delete etc hence the extra wires ..and if it's a true stage 2 like u say then I'll take RC stage 1 and I did . FYI I still bought jb4 over rc initially I'm not spitting off at the mouth cause I'm some fanboy the rc works better with out other mods and I'm not missing my extra stage 2 wiring mess.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #26
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
I friend of mine bought active tune had jb4 before that . Likes the stage 1 active better says it's faster/smoother .
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@mike .. jb4 u can change 1psi in initial boost hit .. That makes it a stage 2 ? U can select diff maps that have diff initial boost spikes on Rc . The only real difference is on the fly map select, code read/ delete etc hence the extra wires ..and if it's a true stage 2 like u say then I'll take RC stage 1 and I did . FYI I still bought jb4 over rc initially I'm not spitting off at the mouth cause I'm some fanboy the rc works better with out other mods and I'm not missing my extra stage 2 wiring mess.
You sir need to do a lot of reading about the different tunes. Lots of misinformation in each reply i just do not know where to start.

RC adds a certain amount of boost. There is no such thing as initial boost. That amount of boost is applied to all RPM ranges. So if the map adds 3 psi, it will do that on 2500 rpm and 7000 rpm and with the RC current connections, there is no way to changing this.

JB4 has the ability of adding boost by RPM, so it can target any boost at 2500 rpm and then a completely different boost at 3000 rpm, 3500 rpm,etc....
When you have catless downpipes you want to target really high targets in the midrange but you do not want these same targets on redline because you will damage your engine. The JB4 has the ability to do that, the RC does not. JB4 works with stage 2 mods ( DP , FMIC) the RC does not.

Also here is a list of what the Jb4 does that RC cannot:
Code reading
code deleting
datalogging
Auto clear codes ( CEL light)
Boost by rpm
limit boost on first gear for better traction control
limit boost on second gear for better traction control
Gauge Hijacking
auto tuning map
Safety map that JB4 will kick the car to once it feels car is running to lean or is overboosting.
Exhaust Flap control
etc....

At the end of the day, you are happy with your tune and that is great. I never said anything bad about the RC, it is a good tune. All that i am saying the RC is a tune comparable to JB stage 1.
JB4 stage 2 is on a different level.
Wether JB,JB4 or RC is the best tune for your car mods is a completely different discussion.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #28
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
I hear ya . Like I said with stock cats where I will remain and lots of other people will remain the rc just performs better. I'd rather pay for that then gauge hacking and exhaust flap Jacking (useless on f30) a lot of those other little perks of jb4 don't even serve as much of a purpose on f30's unless going built turbos . Thanks for reminding me of the jb4 features I used on my e90 and f30 I'm just content with the way the car is now with just the rc ..unless they unlock the dme .. Hopefully we can just end it there I was trying to give some advice to guys like me that are running a tune only
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya . Like I said with stock cats where I will remain and lots of other people will remain the rc just performs better. I'd rather pay for that then gauge hacking and exhaust flap Jacking (useless on f30) a lot of those other little perks of jb4 don't even serve as much of a purpose on f30's unless going built turbos . Thanks for reminding me of the jb4 features I used on my e90 and f30 I'm just content with the way the car is now with just the rc ..unless they unlock the dme .. Hopefully we can just end it there I was trying to give some advice to guys like me that are running a tune only
Even though i do not agree about the RC performing better than other stage 1 tunes ( Jb, AFE, Active Autowerk, Remus powerizer,etc...), i definitely respect your opinion. Same as the RC has its fans, Jb and other tunes have their own. As long as the user is happy with what he got, that's all that matters

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #30
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
@mike
Saw on you website all the tunes you offer for the f30 335 . Do you think the Remus makes more power then the afe ? Seemed like remus might be a more aggressive tune the description says 85 hp and 40hp on afe and jb. Can you shed any light on this ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@mike
Saw on you website all the tunes you offer for the f30 335 . Do you think the Remus makes more power then the afe ? Seemed like remus might be a more aggressive tune the description says 85 hp and 40hp on afe and jb. Can you shed any light on this ?
Same thing goes for all the stage 1 tunes.
All they do is just add boost, no rocket science here.
Stage 1 tunes vary from +2 to +4 psi boost. Remus and Active tuner 8 are @ 4 psi boost so the most aggressive ones.
JB is my preferred one because it lets you choose how much boost you would like to add. With all the other tunes, you are stuck with the amount of boost ( maps) that they offer.
EDIT: Burger tuning have changed their JB stage 1 boards and connection. They now have 4 connections total instead of 6.
You might have tried the older board.

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 04-26-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #32
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
@mike
Remus is using the Racechip module, so its pretty much the same thing.

Below are some user reports on their Racechip with and without mods and also comparing to BMS Stage1, aFe, Dinan stage1 & even JB4. tms1224 thanks for providing your review.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=95
Quote:
Morning !! The Racechip Engineer has Wagner DP with full exhaust and Wagner Intercooler and is punching out 400HP on F1 setting !!
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=137
Quote:
I was never impressed with the JB4's ability to offer crisp throttle response and it gave me heaps of issues ... surging all the time and crazy weird throttle issues.... So i removed it ! On WOT full power the JB4 was amazing but thats about it !! The RC offers crisp clean smooth power delivery , and as a daily driver its what I demand and want !!

Its only been installed for a day but I already know Im in love !!

Just my 10c worth.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=146
Quote:
Stage 1 Dinan is crapola.... I would rather put a pizza box under the bonnet with better results !! Stage 2 might be worth a look coupled with there intake if they ever pull there finger out and actually deliver a piggyback tuning box that works !!

BMS products as I have openly said on countless occasions , offer great results but man they have a plethora of issues when it comes to throttle control response and the like !
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=184
Quote:
Just finished installing the RaceChips Ultimate on my M235i tonight. The harness kit is excellent and even easier to install than any others I have used (BMS, aFe, Dinan). The plugs are basically the same as the BMS and aFe, but the big difference is you don't have to worry about which plug goes to which MAP sensor in the car! I was confused by this in the instructions not indicating which plug to use on the appropriate MAP sensor so I gave them a phone call (immediate answer). As explained by RaceChips USA over the phone, you don't need to worry about which plug to use, the ECU piggyback box sorts the signals out automatically for you. Now that is really idiot proof for sure.

After I completed the installation I left the reset plug into the end of cable and gave the car a quick start to check for engine codes or issues; wasn't 100% sold that you can plug the cable into either MAP sensor. No codes, and no errors, so I unplug and removed the reset plug and plugged the RaceChips Ultimate computer in. Started up the car and took it for my usually 1 1/2 mile loop test around the neighborhood.

Now I have tried 3 other piggyback units on my M235i and each one of them deliver more noticeable power with the aFe being the best of the 3. No bullshit! The RaceChip Ultimate is by far the most torque I have experienced yet. I know you have read from others that "It's the Bomb" and "It breaks traction just after throttle tip in", but I can tell you that they are right on the money. With car in Sport mode I was spinning the right rear wheel through the first 3 gear shifts. It was wet outside, but I never felt torque like this before in the car!

Will take the car out again on a dry day this coming weekend and see how my impression fairs. As of now, it is by far the best piggyback I have tried. Makes me wonder if I change the settings even higher what it would feel like, scary. If I wasn't getting rid of the car next year I would consider adding the limited slip differential just to keep the traction even instead of the one wheel spins I'm getting right now in the rain

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #33
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
@robnyc

Thanks for the back up kid! I've been well aware that Remus is Racechip that's what led me to Racechip ( I'd rather buy from the source ) on another note I've had jb4 on 2 diff occasions and while terry is great I can just call Racechip USA and speak to them with ease, never been able to do this with terry
@mike ..you make a great point that all the stage ones do Is add boost well loop jb4 in that mix too cause other then all the other lil quirky extra feature it has. When it comes to making performance jb4 just turns the boost up too . These extra features and wires doesnt make it the only tune that can go stage 2 (bolt ons) a lot of these other company's piggy backs have maps for proper boost target allready built in that run a lot smoother
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #34
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@robnyc

Thanks for the back up kid! I've been well aware that Remus is Racechip that's what led me to Racechip ( I'd rather buy from the source ) on another note I've had jb4 on 2 diff occasions and while terry is great I can just call Racechip USA and speak to them with ease, never been able to do this with terry
@mike ..you make a great point that all the stage ones do Is add boost well loop jb4 in that mix too cause other then all the other lil quirky extra feature it has. When it comes to making performance jb4 just turns the boost up too . These extra features and wires doesnt make it the only tune that can go stage 2 (bolt ons) a lot of these other company's piggy backs have maps for proper boost target allready built in that run a lot smoother
Ok i give up. Already explained to you why Race Chip cannot work with stage 2 mods and why the JB4 can.
Enjoy your day

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #35
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
@mike
Enjoy your day!

And please scroll up to ROBNYC's post that list this..
""Morning !! The Racechip Engineer has Wagner DP with full exhaust and Wagner Intercooler and is punching out 400HP on F1 setting !! ""

Clearly f1 setting has mapping based on having stage 2 mods. Just want to make sure youre aware of what your selling with regards to one of your tunes ( Remus ) Remus and RC have a good amount of progressive maps that aid in performance with additional mods/( stage 2)and different fuel ratings ..(I called Remus today) Just minus the extra wires and features of jb4.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #36
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@mike
Enjoy your day!

And please scroll up to ROBNYC's post that list this..
""Morning !! The Racechip Engineer has Wagner DP with full exhaust and Wagner Intercooler and is punching out 400HP on F1 setting !! ""

Clearly f1 setting has mapping based on having stage 2 mods. Just want to make sure youre aware of what your selling with regards to one of your tunes ( Remus ) Remus and RC have a good amount of progressive maps that aid in performance with additional mods/( stage 2)and different fuel ratings ..(I called Remus today) Just minus the extra wires and features of jb4.
I will repeat what i said. You need to do a lot of reading on tunes.
I can put any stage 1 tunes on donwpipes and they will work fine and even get me more than stock HP. But the problem with boost still applies.
They are still adding the same amount of boost for the whole RPM range, which means they are not taking advantage of the Downpipes 100%. They cant target very high boost in the midrange because the stage 1 tune will not be able to taper it down at redline.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #37
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
What on the jb4 makes the difference?what extra connection to what sensor controls this ? So this can not be adjust via map writing and tunning via dyno when they originally engineer the maps on RC or other tunes . Active autowerkes ties into the cam sensor to measure rpm ..why do they do that ? AAW has their own exhaust, downpipes and intercooler and 30 yrs experience I'm sure they factor for having downpipes I'm honestly asking cause u seem to be the expert I'm just the guy that thinks something other then jb4 performs better at my current mod level .. All I have is what I experienced.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #38
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What on the jb4 makes the difference?what extra connection to what sensor controls this ? So this can not be adjust via map writing and tunning via dyno when they originally engineer the maps on RC or other tunes . Active autowerkes ties into the cam sensor to measure rpm ..why do they do that ? AAW has their own exhaust, downpipes and intercooler and 30 yrs experience I'm sure they factor for having downpipes I'm honestly asking cause u seem to be the expert I'm just the guy that thinks something other then jb4 performs better at my current mod level .. All I have is what I experienced.
Connection to Canbus lets the boost control boost by RPM.
JB4 is the only tune that connects to Canbus.
Instead of just arguing, just ask Race chip or all the different tuning companies if they can control boost by rpm and let me know what they say

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #39
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
@mike
Well hold on.. Dinan connects to canbus, didn't you know that allready ? They also use a nice custom harness and not a wire tap. Just got off the phone with Veral at AAW having acces to canbus would have allowed them to delete light created from downpipes code switching etc . They stated that they did not need the canbus to adjust boost by rpm cause the factory dme allready makes the adjustment with mods and that the canbus isn't even needed for that . The f30 is a completely diff dme situation then that of the n54. They assured me that their maps take into account full bolts on and the changes needed are made upfront .. Call them
Yourself and you ask, don't get so butthurt bro
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #40
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@mike
Well hold on.. Dinan connects to canbus, didn't you know that allready ? They also use a nice custom harness and not a wire tap. Just got off the phone with Veral at AAW having acces to canbus would have allowed them to delete light created from downpipes code switching etc . They stated that they did not need the canbus to adjust boost by rpm cause the factory dme allready makes the adjustment with mods and that the canbus isn't even needed for that . The f30 is a completely diff dme situation then that of the n54. They assured me that their maps take into account full bolts on and the changes needed are made upfront .. Call them
Yourself and you ask, don't get so butthurt bro

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i, X3M40i, X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW 435i  [10.00]
These Racechip-is-awesome threads are always hilarious and definitely help people choose what tune to buy, or not buy.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #42
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Ya they are !
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #43
Nick S
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC BMS stage 1

Its always the same people pushing race chip on multiple forums and never have dyno numbers to back it up. While I respect people's opinions it is always the same thing saying it's better than all the other tunes. Where's the data to back up these claims. Sorry not sold.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #44
tms1224
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335I  [0.00]
I've never been on any other forum . I never post ..this was my first time . I didn't dyno the car but the performance is way smoother and that's why I posted I figured people should know. I would guess the dynos would be pretty similar to jb4 tune only. ( and by the way robnyc posted some dynos on this forum with Racechip ) I had the money to blow on a new 64k bimmer so I figured what's another $600 glad I did. Here's another lil info from my experience stage 2b8 & b8.5 s4 shits allover these f30 335's with their locked up dme's ! 11.6-11.9 1/4 mile allday with s4..If it was only about that I would have bought the s4 again just the looks the s4 is a little stale to me .. F30 looks and interior way better and with the racechip I'm satisfied
Appreciate 3