F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sprint Booster-
proTUNING Freaks

10-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Sprint Booster-

I have been reading posts about the various tuning lately, with various degrees of success and failures. That was making me avoid those for now until Dinan rolls out theres and then possibly provides the warranty program like I had seen before or like I had with Stasis on my Audi.

In the mean time, I had been reading up on Sprint Booster but hadnt found anyone that had it on the F30 328i. Anyone that has it praised it, anyone that doesnt have it, seems to beat up on it.

So I noticed they were offering a discount, $289.00 vs $299.00, big savings but free shipping and the best part, a 30 day money back guarantee. So I ordered one and it arrived today. I took the single star screw off at the base if the pedal, pushed the pedal forward and up so it would up hinge from the top and now I could see the wiring harness. A little tough to get loose but squeezed the top and bottom at the same time, slid it off and then inserted the Sprint Booster on the harness end and the other end on the pedal. Re-installed the pedal, plugged in the wire that has the setting button and off I went.

So here is the good part: I am 50 years old and owned nearly 50 cars over my life. German cars have been the majority and BMW more than any other. I have had a few BMWs tuned, back when it was a simple chip, to an Audi chip by Neuspeed and more recently a Stasis ECU Software install. Each of them varying degrees of success but all a success and all made the car a lot more responsive and fun. Price of those ranged from $300 to $1500.

I set my Sprint Booster with the Red Light on, which is the most aggressive setting and off I went. Just as I straighten the car out after backing from the driveway, it was immediate power on, like the turbo kicked in immediately and no lag or delay at all and this wasnt my test because I didnt want to race down my own street. When I got out onto Marguerite Parkway and started up the hill, that delay had always bugged me before because the steeper incline of the road and the delay of the accelerator combined amplified the problem. Not now, I am truly blown away that this little simple plug can make so much of a difference in the way the car feels. Granted, it is not increasing horsepower, it is simply removing the delay automakers have built into the accelerator. But it truly feels like the car has been chipped. I always drive my car in double sport mode, Shifter moved over to the left DS and button pushed to sport. You know the difference that makes, now put on the Sprint Booster and do the same thing, its even better. Will provide an update after some time has passed but couldnt be more happy.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

I had it on a previous bmw. It did make the car more responsive but, for me, throttle dynamics lost balance and seemed a bit too twitchy. On the track it was a liability for me.

Didn't you find sport and sport+ to give you the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I thought all the sprint booster does was make the car think you're pressing the pedal more then you actually are....
      10-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes and no, I actually feel like before this the F30 was a little twitchy from the start because of the delay. It made me press the pedal harder. Now off the line the car is less twitchy and smoother, although much more responsive and quicker to accelerate. I feel like it is much more balanced now but with that said, it tracking the car I do see a challenge because the car is twitchier if I am driving more aggressivelty and between gears, changing up or down.

For my driving, no tracking, I really love this thing. Best $289.00 I ever spent to provide this much improved fun out of my car.

Missed this part: Sport and Sport + I noticed a slight difference but I played with it quite a bit, same situations comparisons to see what setting I prefered. I did that because I didnt want to leave the button connected so when I determined I liked Sport + the best, I set it and removed the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
I had it on a previous bmw. It did make the car more responsive but, for me, throttle dynamics lost balance and seemed a bit too twitchy. On the track it was a liability for me.

Didn't you find sport and sport+ to give you the same thing?

Last edited by pkancel; 10-23-2014 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thats what people have written but thats not actually true. Pressing the pedal down further and faster doesnt eliminate delay. The delay still exists but it makes the response more abrubt.

Here is how they state it from their website, more technical description.

It is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the Electronic Throttle Control’s potentiometer, and providing the ECM with a new and altered signal.

In other words, significantly reducing delay and improving/increasing the response. I would bet any amount of money if you put two F30 328is side by side, one with the Sprint Booster and one without, the one with would jump off the line much quicker and easily be a good distance ahead, especially 0 to 60.

In fact, I would actually like to see that test done, would be great to get Sprint Booster to show that with two cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
I thought all the sprint booster does was make the car think you're pressing the pedal more then you actually are....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

I think you may be incorrect here. If both cars are going wot, I don't believe there would be any difference. Just like how there shouldn't be a difference between any of the modes if all you're doing is mashing the gas pedal and going wot.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am sure I am not incorrect because I can tell you from owning this now, the difference between mashing the gas before I had it is quite a difference than having this installed and set on Sport + mode.

Even mashing the gas pedal, the delay still exist, even if you are in the stock, no booster, sport mode, mashing the gas pedal doesnt eliminate the delay that is built into the car. The booster is eliminating or significantly reducing the delay which is causing the vehicle to come off the line much faster than stock.

I saw this on Motorhead Garage on TV before I bought this and they had a gauge that showed with and without. Not only did the car come off the line quicker than stock but the power increased faster all of the way up the power band. A fast rate of acceleration. They then installed one on a Camaro SS. Absolutely positive the difference of mashing the pedal and having this is not the same. Not that these shows are a true testimonial but that was enough to make me try it and trust me, I was extremely skeptical. Thats why I made sure the money back guarantee existed because I was sure I would be sending it back. No way now and I ordered another one for my wifes F10 528i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
I think you may be incorrect here. If both cars are going wot, I don't believe there would be any difference. Just like how there shouldn't be a difference between any of the modes if all you're doing is mashing the gas pedal and going wot.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

My apologies. I thought that all the Booster did was remap the throttle positioning/sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not at all and I wasnt attacking you, just wanted to clarify. As I said, I was equally skeptical and was all set to be disappointed. I am anxious for someone else to get one on their F30 and provide feedback.

Sorry to see/hear what happened in CAN yesterday with your Parliament. Sincere best wishes and prayers to everyone affected by that idiot and just very glad he was taken down permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
My apologies. I thought that all the Booster did was remap the throttle positioning/sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Tothepoint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel
I have been reading posts about the various tuning lately, with various degrees of success and failures. That was making me avoid those for now until Dinan rolls out theres and then possibly provides the warranty program like I had seen before or like I had with Stasis on my Audi.

In the mean time, I had been reading up on Sprint Booster but hadnt found anyone that had it on the F30 328i. Anyone that has it praised it, anyone that doesnt have it, seems to beat up on it.

So I noticed they were offering a discount, $289.00 vs $299.00, big savings but free shipping and the best part, a 30 day money back guarantee. So I ordered one and it arrived today. I took the single star screw off at the base if the pedal, pushed the pedal forward and up so it would up hinge from the top and now I could see the wiring harness. A little tough to get loose but squeezed the top and bottom at the same time, slid it off and then inserted the Sprint Booster on the harness end and the other end on the pedal. Re-installed the pedal, plugged in the wire that has the setting button and off I went.

So here is the good part: I am 50 years old and owned nearly 50 cars over my life. German cars have been the majority and BMW more than any other. I have had a few BMWs tuned, back when it was a simple chip, to an Audi chip by Neuspeed and more recently a Stasis ECU Software install. Each of them varying degrees of success but all a success and all made the car a lot more responsive and fun. Price of those ranged from $300 to $1500.

I set my Sprint Booster with the Red Light on, which is the most aggressive setting and off I went. Just as I straighten the car out after backing from the driveway, it was immediate power on, like the turbo kicked in immediately and no lag or delay at all and this wasnt my test because I didnt want to race down my own street. When I got out onto Marguerite Parkway and started up the hill, that delay had always bugged me before because the steeper incline of the road and the delay of the accelerator combined amplified the problem. Not now, I am truly blown away that this little simple plug can make so much of a difference in the way the car feels. Granted, it is not increasing horsepower, it is simply removing the delay automakers have built into the accelerator. But it truly feels like the car has been chipped. I always drive my car in double sport mode, Shifter moved over to the left DS and button pushed to sport. You know the difference that makes, now put on the Sprint Booster and do the same thing, its even better. Will provide an update after some time has passed but couldnt be more happy.
How long did it take you to install? A DIY and pics would be great when you install on the 528 if the install is the same as the 328.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Not at all and I wasnt attacking you, just wanted to clarify. As I said, I was equally skeptical and was all set to be disappointed. I am anxious for someone else to get one on their F30 and provide feedback.

Sorry to see/hear what happened in CAN yesterday with your Parliament. Sincere best wishes and prayers to everyone affected by that idiot and just very glad he was taken down permanently.
Thanks. Absolutely nuts that something like this would happen here. Definitely unexpected, and pretty much the whole country went into lockdown after those events. I work very close to the Ontario Provincial government buildings, and there was definitely an increased sense of security after those events. It was also nice to see the country pull together so patriotically, as this characteristic is not the norm for Canadians.

Back to the topic on hand lol. If we ever manage to pull some numbers together, that would definitely be great. Maybe if somebody could compare it to the MPPK as well, that would be very helpful (since I believe that also alters the throttle mapping/response).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
Peter K_B
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i with M Perf Exhaust

Sprint Booster for M235i?? Differences of opinion

On another forum, most members are saying that especially in Sport+ mode, the throttle response is so quick that there is no value in the Sprint Booster. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074471

It's an affordable accessory so I would consider it but hate to waste money if it does not really provide a significant benefit. I love Sport+ mode for spirited driving and it's the one I use when I want to really move. (ECO PRO mode??? Never. Comfort mode is fine for driving around town and I would not need Sprint Booster in these situations.)

Just bought the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 which provides a significant increase in HP and in Torque. 364 HP, 430 lb-ft of torque. (does not provide RPM info) Not yet installed. (2015 M235i, purchased Used last week at a BMW dealer).

I sure hope that Dinan really provides an obvious practical benefit because in Canada, I'm paying about CAD$2900 Installed. So it is expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I'd rather get a JB4 for less money as this actually increases the performance of the car rather than just making the throttle more sensitive. I get plenty of throttle response in sport +.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sprintbooster Cont

I wish I could send mine to everyone and tell them to just try it and prove all of the speculators wrong. Sprintbooster at one time was offering a money back guarantee. Not sure if thats still the case but if so, try it and see for yourself.

I have had it on our 328i, our 335i, our 435iGC. Even with Sport+ its just not the same. Yes Sport+ is quicker response and holds the shifts longer but there is still an inherent delay. Sprintbooster removes that based on the level you chose. I have the older model which has 3 settings. Off, medium and high. I only set it at high and have removed the controller. This way you dont have to put your car in Sport or Sport + but if you do, then you notice it even more. I had previously always purchased Stasis with my Audis and then Dinan for BMWs so the warranty wasnt affected. Only once went with JB4 and I didnt notice anything at all.

After trying the Sprintbooster, I havent ever considered Dinan or any software because it changes the way the car performs. No it doesnt change the HP but the responsiveness is so drastically different that it feels like more HP has been added.

But again, try and if SpBooster has their moneyback guarantee, you lose nothing but time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I'd rather get a JB4 for less money as this actually increases the performance of the car rather than just making the throttle more sensitive. I get plenty of throttle response in sport +.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer the REMUS responder which is the same thing as the booster .. Does not add any power but offer throttle remap making the car more responsive to the gas pedal (9 different maps).

It is one of our most popular products on the website

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0