F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Issue with a brand new illuminated door sill
GetBMWParts

12-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Red face Issue with a brand new illuminated door sill

I sold a brand new illuminated door sill to a member here and I am getting a strange vibe from my latest interaction with him.

the door sills were brand new in BMW box and was shipped to him. He received them and then claimed that that door sill is not lighting up when the door is open. he showed me a 3 second video that showed him moving around the magnet and the door sill lighting up and off.

He opened a case with PayPal and is now wanting his money back. Before while we were texting about the purchase he was very responsive. When he told me about the issue I urged him to take them to the BMW parts department and have them the install or help him troubleshoot the install. The part should be covered under BMW parts warranty so if any issue they should be able to identify it and address it.

The funny part is, soon after I asked him to take it to BMW and have them check it out he stopped communicating with me and opened a case with payment claiming that the part is defective. I sent him several texts and they show that they are getting delivered but he is not responding to any of those texts. When I try to call him its not even ringing and going to straight to voicemail.

This kind of behavior is definitely concerning and something is not right! I dont know if he is being truthful about the whole defective doorsill story. If you were the buyer would you not make an attempt to take them to the dealer and try to address this instead of shutting out the seller?

I am curious what your thoughts are assuming that there is truly an issue with the doorsill, if anyone has any recommendations on the issue that he is facing.

Shipped to
Jichen Xu
7665 N Summit Pass
Prescott Valley, AZ 86315
United States

Contact info
Message Jichen Xu
jom2000131@gmail.com
Note
BMW illuminated door sills
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Have him ship them back to you and then give him a refund. Don't issue the refund until you have them. A favorite scam is to send back an empty box just to have the tracking number and delivery receipt to show PayPal.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2022, 03:09 AM   #3
_F30_UK_
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Xdrive

If I had purchased something that wasn't working and was told to go to BMW to get it fitted, I wouldn't bother and I would just ask to return the item.

Just make sure you have the item back with you before you issue a refund. You may have to pay for return postage though
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

I have sent an offer to refund the item for a full refund but I highly doubt that the buyer will send a refund. So far this has the tell tale sign of a scam. I think he wants to keep the items because they work just fine and also received a refund from PayPal.

December 5, 2022 at 11:06:11 AM EST

You sent an offer to Jichen Xu.

Offer details:
Full refund with return of item
Refund amount:
$216.30 USD
Return shipping address:

Note to Jichen Xu:
Send the door sills back to me with all parts and in original box and a full refund will be processed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _F30_UK_ View Post
If I had purchased something that wasn't working and was told to go to BMW to get it fitted, I wouldn't bother and I would just ask to return the item.

Just make sure you have the item back with you before you issue a refund. You may have to pay for return postage though
That is not the only issue here, as you can see he has not responded to a single text message I sent. He hasn't called me back even after I called him multiple times. He has not communicated to me if he wants to send them back to me for a refund either. He has also not communicated to me if he would want to take it to the dealer or not. This transaction has suffered a breakdown in communication from his end.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If he doesn't respond to PayPal they'll drop the matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #7
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

I had this issue with OEM door sills that I bought, I was able to fix it by buying small magnets and wedging them into the battery tray, theres a little slot between the 2 batteries on the battery cover that you can add a magnet.

i'm not sure why the magnetic switch doesnt work on them, but by adding a small magnet, they now work as they should. The door magnet activates them properly and I have no issues.

link to magnets I used to put inside the battery tray: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y3N3KN5
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
I had this issue with OEM door sills that I bought, I was able to fix it by buying small magnets and wedging them into the battery tray, theres a little slot between the 2 batteries on the battery cover that you can add a magnet.

i'm not sure why the magnetic switch doesnt work on them, but by adding a small magnet, they now work as they should. The door magnet activates them properly and I have no issues.

link to magnets I used to put inside the battery tray: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y3N3KN5
Thanks, I wish this forum member sees this thread and hopefully can resolve his issue. But then again, there has been no communication from him so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #9
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden3301 View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I wish this forum member sees this thread and hopefully can resolve his issue. But then again, there has been no communication from him so far.
i asked my seller to do a partial refund because i figured mine was defective and he knew about it, but i also was able to figure out how to fix it before he sent me anything and he ended up not refunding me any money. so i'm kinda glad you posted this, makes me think the magnetic switch inside the door sills somehow stops working if they sit around for a while, which is what im assuming since they've been discontinued for years now.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #10
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i asked my seller to do a partial refund because i figured mine was defective and he knew about it, but i also was able to figure out how to fix it before he sent me anything and he ended up not refunding me any money. so i'm kinda glad you posted this, makes me think the magnetic switch inside the door sills somehow stops working if they sit around for a while, which is what im assuming since they've been discontinued for years now.
Update, guy responded to me after two weeks and wants $100 refund after I selected the Paypal option for a full refund on return of the item. Paid $185.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Translation: He got them working but still wants $100. Assuming the $85 covers your cost it might be worth it to be done with him.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 03:42 PM   #12
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Translation: He got them working but still wants $100. Assuming the $85 covers your cost it might be worth it to be done with him.
Yup exactly, not going to give satisfaction to a scammer, I want my doorsills returned
Appreciate 1