F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Wanted to share my friends' odd VWs
Studio RSR

08-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Wanted to share my friends' odd VWs

So two of my closest friends both drive VWs, and both uncommon ones at that.

The first one is a 2008 VW .:R32. Got a full brake job on it with OZ Omnia wheels. Looks great! It's a lotta fun to drive too. I always told him he's gotta race my 128i . He's planning on getting the engine, DSG and haldex tunes (I believe from USP motorsports). Engine and trans tunes are self explanatory (more HP, faster shifts, etc.), but the AWD tune tells the haldex unit to send up to like 40% of the power to the rear in normal conditions. This should add some functionality and speed to the wheels. Plus the AWD tune in the snow should be fun!

His exhaust midpipe (with the cats) got a leak in it so it was either $1K for the hi-flo cats or $1K for OEM VW hmmm....

https://wheelwell.com/profile/54ee69...1001073/specs/

Then there's my other friend's 2002 VW Passat W8. This thing is a beast.

Blew its torque converter (common issue) and something else in the trans and ended up getting a full trans rebuild. I think these engines are too strong for the trans lol. The VW dealership swore up and down the trans was fine (even though he got a CEL for P0741, along with a loss of power) so he took it to a local shop. Shop said it was the most complex transmission they've rebuilt in the 30 years they've operated .

Then the steering rack blew and VW tried sourcing a new one from VW NA and VW Germany and no parts existed, so they 'custom built' one (quote from my friend, who quoted the dealer). I imagine they just ordered a lotta pieces individually and rebuilt it instead of simply replacing it.

But when it's not in the shop, it's a fantastic ride. The engine makes the WEIRDEST noise (with the stock exhaust at least). Sounds like a spaceship. Almost 280HP getting put into a Torsen-based AWD system. It's a blast to drive and ride in.

https://wheelwell.com/profile/55f75f...fc8b375d080a90

Flip thru the album - he's got some Audi wheels on it in desperate need of a respray.