E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Oil Cooler info.

12-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dinan Oil Cooler info.

From Dinanbmw.com

It’s no secret among 335 owners that while the cars perform admirably, they tend to run a bit on the warm side. This appears to be true even with the cars equipped with the factory oil cooler; and in case you weren’t aware, not all 335s came with an oil cooler at all!

For those who drive the cars in a spirited fashion on a regular basis, this issue is even more pronounced. While this is certainly a concern in stock form, it becomes even more of an issue when you consider increasing boost pressure, which in addition to added power output also generates more heat. And when you back your products with matching new car warranty coverage, including consequential damages, you tend to be a bit more concerned about the real world ramifications of increased turbo boost pressure on the car as a whole.

Recognizing the significance of this issue, Dinan set out to develop a more efficient heat exchanger, ultimately in the form of a High Capacity Oil Cooler. Two complete systems have been developed, one for vehicles that weren’t equipped with a factory oil cooler and the other as an upgrade for the stock unit. Now every 335 driver has the opportunity to lower operating temperatures significantly, providing peace of mind as well as avoiding that notorious “limp” mode when things get simply too hot.

The Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler provides literally twice the volume of the stock unit, as well as 414 sq./in. of cooling tube vs. 112.5, and that’s really just the beginning. Nicely integrated inlet ducting provides greater airflow efficiencies and the ventilation of air to the fender well has also been improved with a larger outlet. The system mounts neatly in the stock location and includes lightweight convoluted PTFE hoses with polyester outer braid fitted with race-quality fittings. For cars that were not equipped with the factory oil cooler, kits are available that include all of the additional parts necessary for the installation.

The results of the oil cooler upgrade are quite significant, with the temperature gauge holding steady even under high load/high boost scenarios. And for those of you who track their cars, even occasionally, the Dinan oil cooler is a must.

Specifications

Total Volume: Stock = 9.5 oz. / Dinan = 19 oz.
Surface Area: Stock = 45 sq./in. / Dinan = 67.5 sq./in.
Cooling Tubes: Stock = 10 / Dinan = 23
Tube Lengths: Stock = 90 in. / Dinan = 207 in.
Tube Area: Stock = 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan = 414 sq./in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
From Dinanbmw.com

Two complete systems have been developed, one for vehicles that weren’t equipped with a factory oil cooler and the other as an upgrade for the stock unit. Now every 335 driver has the opportunity to lower operating temperatures significantly, providing peace of mind as well as avoiding that notorious “limp” mode when things get simply too hot. [/I]

The Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler provides literally twice the volume of the stock unit, as well as 414 sq./in. of cooling tube vs. 112.5, and that’s really just the beginning. Nicely integrated inlet ducting provides greater airflow efficiencies and the ventilation of air to the fender well has also been improved with a larger outlet. The system mounts neatly in the stock location and includes lightweight convoluted PTFE hoses with polyester outer braid fitted with race-quality fittings. For cars that were not equipped with the factory oil cooler, kits are available that include all of the additional parts necessary for the installation.

The results of the oil cooler upgrade are quite significant, with the temperature gauge holding steady even under high load/high boost scenarios. And for those of you who track their cars, even occasionally, the Dinan oil cooler is a must.

Specifications

Total Volume: Stock = 9.5 oz. / Dinan = 19 oz.
Surface Area: Stock = 45 sq./in. / Dinan = 67.5 sq./in.
Cooling Tubes: Stock = 10 / Dinan = 23
Tube Lengths: Stock = 90 in. / Dinan = 207 in.
Tube Area: Stock = 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan = 414 sq./in.
thanks for the specs on the Dinan cooler for those who do not have the "extra" oil cooler already.
i already have the stock oil cooler under my passenger wheel well. are your quoted specs for the dinan stock oil cooler UPGRADE the SAME AS For the stand alone dinan oil cooler ?

lastly, what is the price. i am v interestd if it is "reasonably priced"

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
thanks for the specs on the Dinan cooler for those who do not have the "extra" oil cooler already.
i already have the stock oil cooler under my passenger wheel well. are your quoted specs for the dinan stock oil cooler UPGRADE the SAME AS For the stand alone dinan oil cooler ?

lastly, what is the price. i am v interestd if it is "reasonably priced"

thanks
Since no prices have been mention and by looking at the pictures, it looks like just an upgrade kit. If you don't have an oil cooler at all then I think it's going to require a BMW oil filter housing with oil cooler ports.

I think pricing has been announced at $2000.00.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
Since no prices have been mention and by looking at the pictures, it looks like just an upgrade kit. If you don't have an oil cooler at all then I think it's going to require a BMW oil filter housing with oil cooler ports.

I think pricing has been announced at $2000.00.
even for dinan, that price is a bit silly...
i can maybe see paying 2 grand for thier ecu flash - but come on - 2 grand for an oil cooler UPGRADE?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
even for dinan, that price is a bit silly...
i can maybe see paying 2 grand for thier ecu flash - but come on - 2 grand for an oil cooler UPGRADE?
no kidding, amazing how expensive this is
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
no kidding, amazing how expensive this is

... i say BOYCOTT until this thing is way below 1 grand (where it should be).
if dinan includes say $500 into each ecu flash price to help with blown engines, i understand.

but 2 grand for an oil cooler upgrade is IMHO insulting
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Looks a lot like a B&M stacked plate cooler

Wonder why you couldn't just retrofit one yourself instead?
      12-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I was thinking it was a Setrab cooler. Either way the lines are not cheap you are probably looking at a couple hundred bucks just for the lines and fittings.

It looks similar to part number 50-625-7612. Retail of $370 (which you know Dinan isn't paying that much)
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/2008-RETAIL-Pricelist.pdf
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/ProLine...Capacities.pdf
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Setrab%20USA%20ProLine.pdf

I'm thinking a grand is more than a fair price.

Disclaimer: Don't quote that part number if you are planning on doing your own retrofit. I was just using approximate sizing and volume to pick a similar part as what they might be using.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 12-15-2007 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
BoostedInPhx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

You should go check out the threads about the missing oil cooler for early sports package cars with steptronics. The BMW cooler is 3k+. Adding one is not as simple as some cars. On many cars you just remove the spin on oil filter and screw on an adapter for the hoses and replace the filter. On the 335 you need to replace the whole housing that contains the oil filter to make the connection to the engine. This housing also contains the thermostat. In stead of just strapping the cooler in front of the radiator it is mounted in the wheel well and has a duct from the front grill. This requires modifying or replacing the liner inside the wheel well. This makes it a little more difficult to do. I guess if you are shocked by the price what did you say to your salesman when he told you the price of your new 335?
      12-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
san~man
Tired
Rep

I would imagine that retrofitting a larger cooler to a car already equipped with the OEM cooler couldn't be "that" hard, nor would it cost anywhere near $2000.00

I could be wrong though, but I would imagine you could find the raw parts quite easily
      12-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedInPhx View Post
I guess if you are shocked by the price what did you say to your salesman when he told you the price of your new 335?
I said "I don't think so." Then we worked our way down by @$7K. Did you just pay MSRP?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
The BMW cooler is 3k+. Adding one is not as simple as some cars.
Mine was retro-fitted and the dealer only charged BMW ~$1400. I feel for those with a BMW cooler, $2K for this kit is laughable.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I was thinking it was a Setrab cooler. Either way the lines are not cheap you are probably looking at a couple hundred bucks just for the lines and fittings.

It looks like part number 50-625-7612. Retail of $370 (which you know Dinan isn't paying that much)
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/2008-RETAIL-Pricelist.pdf
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/ProLine...Capacities.pdf
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Setrab%20USA%20ProLine.pdf

I'm thinking a grand is more than a fair price.

I agree. I think if one had to do the full installation (on a car with no OEM cooler) with the new wheel well liner, that adaptor and all the parts, then $1k is sorta "fair." However, if one only had to do the retrofit and only needed the cooler and two lines with the fittings, then $1K is way too much lol

And for sure Dinan doesn't manufacture the cooler, but only puts their name on it at that lol.
      12-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

2k is very steep, I'd rather sell my car and get something else before resorting to that....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
I would imagine that retrofitting a larger cooler to a car already equipped with the OEM cooler couldn't be "that" hard, nor would it cost anywhere near $2000.00

I could be wrong though, but I would imagine you could find the raw parts quite easily

that is my point exactly.
according to the OP, it seems that $2,000 is for the UPGRADING of your existing oil cooler.
if that is the case what price is the dinan oil cooler if do not already have one? $3,000 ??
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

$2000 for SW?

$2000 for an oil cooler that cost $50-$100??

Smoking crack.

As strange as it sounds, I think the $40K for the modded V10 engine that Dinan is doing is much better value than above.....
      12-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
$2000 for SW?

$2000 for an oil cooler that cost $50-$100??

Smoking crack.

As strange as it sounds, I think the $40K for the modded V10 engine that Dinan is doing is much better value than above.....
I asked my dealership how much the retrofit of an OEM oil cooler would cost (Just parts, not the 10 hours of labor). It made the Dinan oil cooler upgrade seem cheap. Maybe you should do some reserach before you start with the "crack smoking" comments.

Was all of your Dinan equipment free? I can't figure out why you're bashing it at every possible opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #18
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I asked my dealership how much the retrofit of an OEM oil cooler would cost (Just parts, not the 10 hours of labor). It made the Dinan oil cooler upgrade seem cheap. Maybe you should do some reserach before you start with the "crack smoking" comments.

Was all of your Dinan equipment free? I can't figure out why you're bashing it at every possible opportunity.

Think about it for a minute... $2000 of a small little radiator, this excludes labor.

I am not knocking Dinan exclusively. Any company that tries to sell a $2000 oil cooler is fair game.

Complacent people = Suckers. Let me know how your $2000 oil cooler + $2000 ECU flash works for you when you try to sell your car.

BTW, I do like Dinan stuff.... I spent a lot of money on Dinan but it is for stuff that is not a rip off.
      12-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You should go check out the threads about the missing oil cooler for early sports package cars with steptronics. The BMW cooler is 3k+. Adding one is not as simple as some cars. On many cars you just remove the spin on oil filter and screw on an adapter for the hoses and replace the filter. On the 335 you need to replace the whole housing that contains the oil filter to make the connection to the engine. This housing also contains the thermostat. In stead of just strapping the cooler in front of the radiator it is mounted in the wheel well and has a duct from the front grill. This requires modifying or replacing the liner inside the wheel well. This makes it a little more difficult to do. I guess if you are shocked by the price what did you say to your salesman when he told you the price of your new 335?
Finally someone who knows what the hell he is talking about.

As for some of you, you boggle my mind. Some of you are whining and bitching about the price of the Dinan stuff, and some of you paid $50,000+ for A 3 SERIES! And everyone seems to forget, the Dinan prices are higher BECAUSE THERE IS A WARRANTY.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Finally someone who knows what the hell he is talking about.

As for some of you, you boggle my mind. Some of you are whining and bitching about the price of the Dinan stuff, and some of you paid $50,000+ for A 3 SERIES! And everyone seems to forget, the Dinan prices are higher BECAUSE THERE IS A WARRANTY.
yeah, but warantee for a motor (ex dinan reflash) is one thing.
$2,000 price for an (existing) oil cooler upgrade is something else.

i maybe alot of things - including a bit crazy - but i am definely not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Think about it for a minute... $2000 of a small little radiator, this excludes labor.

I am not knocking Dinan exclusively. Any company that tries to sell a $2000 oil cooler is fair game.

Complacent people = Suckers. Let me know how your $2000 oil cooler + $2000 ECU flash works for you when you try to sell your car.

BTW, I do like Dinan stuff.... I spent a lot of money on Dinan but it is for stuff that is not a rip off.
I'm not going to get the flash, or the oil cooler, $6 thousand (including labor) on a leased car, that I'm only going to have for 2 more years...no thanks. $1,400 for a Procede for 2 years, no thanks! I haven't seen too many people buying used Procedes on here so far, and I don't see many on Ebay, so I look at the Procede as the same as the flash, you're not going to get a significant amount of cash out of it, if any, at the end. What I'm trying to get at is that a lot of people are throwing out cash for mods on leased cars, and the parts that Dinan are offering are usually of superior quality (with a warranty), and the price is NOT that much different than the other stuff out there. I'll save my money and patiently wait for the C63 or M3. So many Procede fanboys, and so many Dinan haters...I just like to play devil's advocate!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to get the flash, or the oil cooler, $6 thousand (including labor) on a leased car, that I'm only going to have for 2 more years...no thanks. $1,400 for a Procede for 2 years, no thanks! I haven't seen too many people buying used Procedes on here so far, and I don't see many on Ebay, so I look at the Procede as the same as the flash, you're not going to get a significant amount of cash out of it, if any, at the end. What I'm trying to get at is that a lot of people are throwing out cash for mods on leased cars, and the parts that Dinan are offering are usually of superior quality (with a warranty), and the price is NOT that much different than the other stuff out there. I'll save my money and patiently wait for the C63 or M3. So many Procede fanboys, and so many Dinan haters...I just like to play devil's advocate!

Fair enough.... but you do realize that an external oil cooler sells for $200 - $400 for almost any other car? There is a big labor component but Dinan is absolutely gouging suckers for $2000 for an oil cooler!

I don't mind paying for quality but I ain't going be a mark