F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > choosing Australian options
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
bret76
Rep
Drives: E46 325Ci

choosing Australian options

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 328i later this year and wondering about the options. Would appreciate any thoughts on which ones are or aren't worthwhile. I'm planning to keep the car for a while so I don't want to skimp.

Probably yes:
  • comfort access - seems lame to need to get the key out to enter the car but not to start it
  • variable sports steering - I like direct steering
  • xenon headlights - looks cool, perhaps better on the highway at night
  • adaptive headlights
  • adaptive suspension - E46 sport pack is good on smooth roads, jarring on bad roads, perhaps this is the best of both worlds?
  • lane change warning - I always shoulder check but it seem like good insurance
  • lane departure warning - again, I wouldn't count on it, and I do pay attention, but anyone can get distracted for a moment
  • nav pro - I think having the half-blacked-out standard screen would look cheap
  • hud - great toy, possibly safer
  • digital radio tuner - probably will get better reception, probably will be good over the life of the car
  • rear view camera

Probably no:
  • sunroof - don't see the point and i'd rather have more headroom
  • park assist - I like gadgets but somehow this seems lazy - on the other hand I suppose it's cheap compared to the others
  • sport seats - standard ones feel better for me, especially on long drives
  • upgraded speakers - 328i Pro speakers sound good, and I don't listen that much in the car
  • surround view

I'm trying to work out what if anything is the Australian equivalent of BMW Assist features. Can you get live traffic on the map? Can you send destinations to the car from Google Maps?

Does anyone know what "extended connectivity of bluetooth" or "smartphone music interface" actually does? The salesman I spoke to didn't seem to really know.

Thanks in advance - I'm really looking forward to joining you.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
The LCW and LDW I figured would just annoy me, as I tend to keep good spatial awareness as a result of my motorcycling days. And I know what a shoulder check is. My eyes are good enough to tell me if I'm driving over white lines, and when I'm tired I pull over. If you're doing long drives, maybe you want LDW?

So yeah, these two I scratched, otherwise I optioned the rest of your selection plus all the "probably no" list with the exception of surround view.

I understand what you're saying about the Pro music system, but not going for the top system in my last car I regretted it thinking "I can always due after-market", but nothing beats the integration of the factory system IMO and I like my music.

My understanding of the BT extended connectivity is that is allows for music streaming from your handset/ tablet and (maybe? not sure) album art importing. I put my music (lossless .wma ) on USB that lives in the car so I wasn't worried about this one.

The smartphone interface is particular for iOS devices (page 68 of the brochure), so I didn't look into it.

Shame on your salesperson for not doing their homework on their product.

GL with your order
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Paninaro
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi Bret,

Can only speak from my preferences and my reasoning for that.

I notice you didnt mention any of the Lines (Sport, Luxury or Modern)

My Options:

Luxury Line - Origionally wanted the Sport Line in Melbourne Red until the dealer loaned me their demo for the weekend in the Luxury Line in Glacier Silver. Whe I parked the 2 cars together on my return to the dealership,not only did the Red look more like a burnt orange the Luxury just looked more classier with it's different style Alloys and Silver window trim. After all it's a BMW not a Holden SS Commodore. I think the new shape and the bigger 18" allloys give the car a sporty look without going over the top.

HUD (610) - Being an ex British Airforce pilot whom had this as standard in the jets I flew I really liked this option. Never having to take my eyes off the road to get all the relevent information about my car including navigation cues can only be priceless. I have to negotiate Perth's roads every day and I can tell you it's scarier than flying at 450kts @ 50ft off the desert floor in the Gulf with every one firing at you.

Nav System Professional (609) - Couldn't agree with you more about the size of the screen on the standard (6.5"). The 8.8" is not only bigger but has a far better resolution for better viewing and clarity.

Internet Functionality (614) - Such a low cost option for what is in essence a given to have such access to information from the comfort of your car. Albeit it can only be used whilst the car is stationary even for the passenger and needs your smartphones internet connection. I think it's also a way of future proofing the car.

Music Interface (6NF) - Again a low cost option for the ability to stream your music from your smartphone. No longer do I have to use an unsightly,fiddly and cumbersome cable.

DAB Radio (654) - Like the idea of more choice with clear, crisp sound.

My thoughts on the rest: IN RED

Probably yes:
•comfort access - seems lame to need to get the key out to enter the car but not to start it AGREE
•variable sports steering - I like direct steering - Again, I drive in Perth and the demo felt great and never had another demo fitted with it to compare.
•xenon headlights - looks cool, perhaps better on the highway at night 99% of my driving is in the city so yes looks cool but expensive for just looks alone.
•adaptive headlights - Not in the city.

•adaptive suspension - E46 sport pack is good on smooth roads, jarring on bad roads, perhaps this is the best of both worlds?- Couldnt drive an F30 with it to compare before ordering and again didnt see the relevance in Perth.

•lane change warning - I always shoulder check but it seem like good insurance - Im a defensive driver and just like flying Im always looking over my shoulder even with proximity warnings going off around me in the cockpit. Nothing beats visual eye contact.
•lane departure warning - again, I wouldn't count on it, and I do pay attention, but anyone can get distracted for a moment - Agree

•nav pro - I think having the half-blacked-out standard screen would look cheap - Agree

•hud - great toy, possibly safer - Anything that keeps your eyes on the road at all times has to be a winner.

•digital radio tuner - probably will get better reception, probably will be good
over the life of the car - It gives you choice as well as quality

•rear view camera - For me being such a visual observer through my career I think this is a good option but with the auditry PDC as standard and physically looking as you manouvre is more than adequate.

Probably no:

•sunroof - don't see the point and i'd rather have more headroom - I have no problem with headroom and WA's weather is not condusive to a window above your head.

•park assist - I like gadgets but somehow this seems lazy - on the other hand I suppose it's cheap compared to the others - I love parking myself

•sport seats - standard ones feel better for me, especially on long drives - The leather seats that came with the demo I borrowed were superb.

•upgraded speakers - 328i Pro speakers sound good, and I don't listen that much in the car - The system is already great but if its ultimate quality and you don't mind the cost then go for it.

•surround view - Again I like the concept but I like doing the visual checks myself.

Remember guys these are my thoughts and reflect my driving style and personal needs so don't get hungup on any of them.
      05-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
bret76
Rep
Drives: E46 325Ci

Hi, and thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like neither of you regretted buying any of the options. That's good to hear, especially for HUD which I have not yet seen in person.

At the moment I was thinking of Modern line, with the oyster/light wood interior, and either alpine white or the darker grey exterior. I'm still thinking about whether I'll like the wood over the long term, but it certainly has a nice feeling now.

As a motorcyclist, I wish every car on the road had LCW/LDW/CW!

I suppose every safety-net feature goes through this: N years ago people would argue they didn't need ABS or DSC because they can threshold brake themselves, then gradually it becomes cheap, standard, and tuned so it won't intervene unnecessarily. I'm not criticizing your decisions, of course - I'm just deciding if it's worth the money for something I wouldn't count on using.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Adaptive M suspension - not going to the track, so NO
Variable sports steering - not interested
Alarm system - who takes notice of them when they go off anyway
Comfort access - I can press the button on the large key fob and I'm not going to start kicking the space under the back of my car. NO
Rear camera - It's a low down sedan with ample rear window views. NO
Glass sunroof - Always had them, always will. Used always during nice weather. Great for resale. YES.
Roller sunblinds. Never thought about them. Not for me. NO
Sun protection glazing. Never thought about tinting. If I had the windows tinted, I would do all of those I legally could instead of some. NO
Sports Seats. Never had them but will be in M-Sport so no choice there. They were in a 335i I sat in and they were very nice. OK
Seat heating front only. Oh YEAH. YES.
High Beam assist. Very little country driving, even less at night. NO
Lane departure. Very little country driving. I don't fall asleep or get distracted when I drive. NO
Lane Change warning. There was a thread some years ago on E90Post as to how to setup exterior mirrors so that the driver does NOT have a 'blind spot'. Works perfectly! Still turn to visually check. NO
Surround View. No doubt a nice feature but I will pass this time around. NO
Parking Assistant. I can reverse park still, so as much as it is a fun novelty, NO.
Headlight Washer. NO but I must to have it because I have ordered Bi-Xenons, so no choice. YES
Bi-Xenons. The F30 will be my first car with these headlights. Time to change from Halogens, which, for me, are still fine but I'm moving up now. YES
Adaptive headlights. Virtually zero night time country driving for me. NO
Music interface. I like the radio better. NO
Extended connectivity. I'll give it a go. YES
TV Function. NO
Nav Pro. I have nav business and enjoy it. Moving up this time. YES
HUD. YES
Internet functionality. NO
DAB+ Radio. YES
hk Sound 600W. I have Logic7 in my E90. YES
DVD changer. I have it in my E90. Never use it. NO
Metallic Paint. I want Estoril Blue, so Metallic it is. YES

Other options not listed should be included in my YES selections like extended instrument cluster included with nav pro.

Like some above me stated, the choices suit ME now. For my next car, I will probably change choices again.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Just begin with the end in mind and get the options you want it'll be you driving it after all!
Appreciate 0