F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M Performance Front Lip Installation Issue(s)
Studio RSR

03-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #23
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

only problem I had was the center post starting to pull away from the bumper at high speeds, making a small gap. I ended up having to put some sealant on the screw that goes up into the bumper there, because you can't get access to the back of the screw if you wanted to put a nut/bolt. you have any issues with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
Even if I didn't use anything at all it would have stayed on. It's the bracket that secures to the bumper. The lip then slides over it and audibly clicks into place securing it. The splitters rest on the regular bumper splitters so its easy to secure on nice and flush. I didnt even use a lot of it because fitment was so good. Double sided tape is very strong when done properly. I have never used beta link on my parts. It's nearly irreversible. The rivets make it a more secure fitment and won't be right without them. Ask them if the lip clipped onto the brace. If not they didn't do it right. It would be very very difficult to rip my lip off and I've traveled over 140 already that's how secure it is. Oem brackets, bolts, and rivets and 3m double sided automotive tape is all I used. I can take a video if you want of me trying to pull it off. I can't. I would need two people pulling.

Of course it looks so amazing I'm never taking it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #24
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

That beta-link stuff is nasty. The dealer put it on my original OEM lip, and i couldn't get it all off of the painted bumper using fingernails, or a plastic non-marring trim tool. It leaves a mess and its all over the place, which made the installation of a new lip less than ideal, since i couldn't get it all off, and the surface was not left smooth and clean prior to new lip installation.

The ironic thing is that while its nearly impossible to remove from the painted bumper surface, it had actually come off the of the polypropylene lip side. i hear the gasses emitted by PP parts will make certain adhesives less (non?) effective. I guess betalink is one of them. I used adhesive promoter along with double sided tape when installing the new lip.

FWIW, my lip's inner adapter/bracket does NOT attach to the bumper. The adapter/bracket only attaches to the lip via 10 c-clip/torx screws. The only places where the lip attaches to the bumper are at the 4 locations on each end of the lip (so 8 total) where expanding rivets are used to attach the bottom of the lip/splitters to the bumpers. Beyond that are the two center screws you mention. But the adapter/bracket seems like its just there to allow the lip to remain rigid and keep its straight shape.

i can't reach behind the bumper either to attach nuts to the screws holding the center because the liner is in the way, but when i do my headlight retrofit a little later and have to remove the bumper, i'll probably add two nuts the screws then.
Appreciate 0