F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech SmartView Smart Phone Mirroring Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

07-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #45
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
I'm guessing this retrofit requires the Profession (large) screen? I've got Business Navigation so would it work with this?
Read the product description:
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...tech-smartview
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #46
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Finally have my smartview

Hello guys
I finally got my rear view cam and smartview device from customs and installed it phew

Just wanted to confirm very happy with the results and tested a few scenarios
You can watch you phone or tablet screen while listening to the in car entertainment source. Then if you like you can switch to the aux and listen to the audio coming from the phone or tablet ( you have a choice as well here you can listen to the phone / tablet audio and see any screen you like for instance your idrive nav or just watch the audio / video from the phone )

In my case I needed to connect two RCA cables from the smartview device with a hidden cable into my AUX in located in the side drawer next to the USB.still audio and video are transferred wirelessly from the phone or tablet.

Also since my car has CIC and nav there was not much space in the idrive area to install the device so I ended up installing it in a space just beside the idrive access able from above the driver side kick panel. From there all the cables going to the idrive will reach with ease.

All in all looks very OEM and thanks to Patryk from bimmertech and his quick answers to my questions it was a successful install.

Pairing is automatic as your phone or tablet connect automatically to the smartview wifi as you enter the car and all you have to do to see your mirror is enable mirroring from the device. In my case iPhone or iPad I select airplay mirroring. And then press the number 8 button on the dash.

Was able to watch moviebox , listen to music , google maps, I guess possibilities are endless.

Coupled with my purchase from bimmertech of the incredible bimmertech DSP for hifi enabled cars I believe I have moved my car after 70,000 km to an awesome entertaining driving machine
      07-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #47
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

So the fact that this usef WiFi means that the phone loses it's Internet connection, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #48
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
So the fact that this usef WiFi means that the phone loses it's Internet connection, right?
Actually no my 3G is operational with data while it uses wifi for airplay only. Don't know how that happens though but it just worked
      07-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #49
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Small video of smartview audio swap from car to iPad

Sorry about the quality dark and iPhones don't mix

07-30-2015, 02:57 AM   #50
M4 LF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo View Post
Actually no my 3G is operational with data while it uses wifi for airplay only. Don't know how that happens though but it just worked
Can you stream Pandora on your phone (or any internet radio) over bluetooth to your car and mirror at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #51
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 LF View Post
Can you stream Pandora on your phone (or any internet radio) over bluetooth to your car and mirror at the same time?
Yes you can. You will only mirror video after you start Bluetooth streaming.

If want want the audio to come from aux rather than Bluetooth you will select Aux in as audio source from idrive then press the button for video mirroring.

This smartview device mimics Apple TV and uses airplay. The audio in car is chosen via idrive. The smartview device is linked to the aux in.

Hope I managed to explain clearly
      08-01-2015, 02:41 AM   #52
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Not sure what you mean by

In my case I needed to connect two RCA cables from the smartview device with a hidden cable into my AUX in located in the side drawer next to the USB.still audio and video are transferred wirelessly from the phone or tablet.

Did you mean the aux in the center console of the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:29 AM   #53
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmz View Post
Not sure what you mean by

Did you mean the aux in the center console of the car?
Yes the smartview device had two RCA cables out which needed to be connected the AuX-in located in the center console between the two seats. You just need to run a cable that came with the bimmertech package under the transmition tunnel trim and into the center console.

Let me know if there is still confusion and I will get some photos for you
      08-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #54
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes the smartview device had two RCA cables out which needed to be connected the AuX-in located in the center console between the two seats. You just need to run a cable that came with the bimmertech package under the transmition tunnel trim and into the center console.

Let me know if there is still confusion and I will get some photos for you
That's what I wanted to avoid actually..

Someone from the 1 series forum was saying that he was able to attach those rcas to the audio in on the main harness. Since they are both males, connectors were probably used.

Glad that BT works for you while you are mirroring. I have an android device and screen mirroring and BT streaming doesn't play well together.

How do you find the quality?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #55
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's what I wanted to avoid actually..

Someone from the 1 series forum was saying that he was able to attach those rcas to the audio in on the main harness. Since they are both males, connectors were probably used.

Glad that BT works for you while you are mirroring. I have an android device and screen mirroring and BT streaming doesn't play well together.

How do you find the quality?
I am not using Bluetooth streaming that often to be honest. I like to get my music via USB and bmw apps for spotify which provide the best quality. Occasional I let passengers stream their music via BT and that's ok.

I sometimes mirror my iPad while using bmw apps for my iPhone music for google maps.

In my opinion wired sound will always out perform a wireless sound

But then again the mirroring is wireless technology and you shouldn't expect a high audio quality out of it. It's good for movies and google maps but not music.
      08-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #56
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not using Bluetooth streaming that often to be honest. I like to get my music via USB and bmw apps for spotify which provide the best quality. Occasional I let passengers stream their music via BT and that's ok.

I sometimes mirror my iPad while using bmw apps for my iPhone music for google maps.

In my opinion wired sound will always out perform a wireless sound

But then again the mirroring is wireless technology and you shouldn't expect a high audio quality out of it. It's good for movies and google maps but not music.
Using BMW apps do you still need to connect the aux cable into the idevice?

Or is it purely streamed from USB?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 02:42 AM   #57
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Using BMW apps do you still need to connect the aux cable into the idevice?

Or is it purely streamed from USB?
BMW apps uses the USB in the center console. It's also dependant on application compatibility for example pandora and spotify are both supporting bmw apps.

The aux connection dose not have to be connected. But mind you the device that is running the app cannot do mirroring since the app has to be open.

That is why I use another device like my iPad mini to get google maps with music being played from my iPhone via bmw apps.
      02-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #58
JujuF30
BMW newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Installation instructions pls

Bimmertech guys (Nelson or Partryk)
Please send me the install guide. Its snowing here & Its perfect to stay indoors (garage) & finish this project today. I have the front & rear cam with the mirroring kit. Thanks in advance!
      02-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #59
rajan29
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M SPORT

I have a BMW F30 2012 model with 606 Business nav champ2 head unit, it also has front & rear PDC. I want to install a reversing camera with moving lines (when parking) as well as mirroring my iPhone onto idrive screen. http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...tech-smartview is this the right one to go for and add multimedia interface + rear view camera options on the drop down list? do i need anything else?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #60
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

I have been wondering if I should retrofit this to my small non-nav CIC iDrive or invest in a NBT screen instead? I am not sure what will make more of a difference to me, to be quite honest.
Appreciate 0