F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M performance LSD
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

M performance LSD

Any one install?

Feedback?

BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I have. It's great.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
meme
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Mineral Grey

I want to get it. It's pretty lame that it does not come installed on a 335i, it should.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
meme
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Mineral Grey

COKen,

Where did you get it installed, mind sharing how much you paid?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I have. It's great.
Track aside, do you feel any changes/improvements when you do heavy cornering on "normal" roads?
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I had it installed at my dealer. Got the BMWCCA discount off of MSRP.

You can feel the difference. Before the install, the traction control would kick in even if you didn't feel it. Now it can put the power down without the nannies getting involved so much. The justification I used to get it is so that I'll have more traction in the winter (even though I didn't really have any issues last winter). For me it is well worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Tony_YYZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: It has 4 wheels

Forgive my ignorance but is the need for an LSD negated with X-Drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
Forgive my ignorance but is the need for an LSD negated with X-Drive?
No, x-drive redistributes torque front/rear...but the LSD will help in the rear with left/right. A LSD also has very high bandwidth to react (i.e. how fast it can redistribute torque). The x-drive clutch pack can only react after sensors detect slip (or other cases where it's obvious you should have AWD, such as launch).

The main effect this will have is on a track with either: (1) removing massive inside wheel spin when turning hard and on gas; (2) reduce the ESP intervention if you don't disable it.

Last edited by drob23; 08-21-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Tony_YYZ
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
No, x-drive redistributes torque front/rear...but the LSD will help in the rear with left/right. A LSD also has very high bandwidth to react (i.e. how fast it can redistribute torque). The x-drive clutch pack can only react after sensors detect slip (or other cases where it's obvious you should have AWD, such as launch).

The main effect this will have is on a track with either: (1) removing massive inside wheel spin when turning hard and on gas; (2) reduce the ESP intervention if you don't disable it.
Thanks for the explanation. I have only owned a FWD car with an LSD and can attest to its usefulness. It massively reduces front wheel hop under launch acceleration and the turn-in feel in the steering is also noticeable.

Is there an LSD available for X-Drive models?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I have only owned a FWD car with an LSD and can attest to its usefulness. It massively reduces front wheel hop under launch acceleration and the turn-in feel in the steering is also noticeable.

Is there an LSD available for X-Drive models?
I think you would absolutely feel it, especially if you ever took your car to an autox or track day. Probably would also notice it in bad weather.

FWD is complicated because you're also using those wheels to steer. I also believe LSD's create understeer on engagement, since you are essentially removing the ability of the wheels to spin at separate speeds (inside wheel must spin slower while cornering). Although this might give you an oversteer effect since it occurs at the front axle. But I guess some modern FWD cars have such silly high torque that they need the LSD (Mazda S3 for instance).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Tony_YYZ
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I think you would absolutely feel it, especially if you ever took your car to an autox or track day. Probably would also notice it in bad weather.

FWD is complicated because you're also using those wheels to steer. I also believe LSD's create understeer on engagement, since you are essentially removing the ability of the wheels to spin at separate speeds (inside wheel must spin slower while cornering). Although this might give you an oversteer effect since it occurs at the front axle. But I guess some modern FWD cars have such silly high torque that they need the LSD (Mazda S3 for instance).
I have taken the car AutoX'ing in the past, definitely useful to have. Although I've never had to worry about too much torque since the car barely had any.
Appreciate 0