F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > MY 2013 ED MG M-Sport xDrive
proTUNING Freaks

07-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

MY 2013 ED MG M-Sport xDrive

Finally got it. The BMW Welt delivery was an awesome experience. Will share some thoughts later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

WOW!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

NICE- congrats! Looks great!

So I'm guessing you're an American living in Germany? (Non-tourist plates on a US spec car and a Welt delivery of a '13 MSport prior to Aug 13th?)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Stunning, love the color combo. I believe this is the first US spec xDrive M Sport we have seen! Fantastic! Quick question did you get the square all season tire setup? Or is that the performance tires? ZPT?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Also, the higher xDrive stance doesn't appear to be as bad as the e90s.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Webbie335i
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Congrats. Car looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Initial Impression First Day

I just picked it up today and drove it from Munich to Stuttgart. Doing the BMW recommended break in for the first 1,400 miles not to exceed 100 mph or 4,500 rpm’s. However they did recommend sporty driving up to those thresholds. Not much time in the seat but enough for some initial first impressions.

BMW Welt stated that this was the first M Sport they have seen. It may very will be the first US spec M Sport in Europe. Not that it means anything but just an observation.

Interior Color
Ordered coral red sight unseen using only the color chart available on the configuration website. Also saw various hues of coral red from various internet picture postings. Glad to say that I was very pleased with the actual hue upon delivery. It’s not a bloody red color but more of a dark textured coral red. I prefer the color contract between the red and black interior as opposed to the interior being black washed or washed out in all neutral colors. Also the color combination between MG and coral red appears to blend nicely.

Variable Steering
Heard both positive and negative comments about variable steering over the years, but I gotta say that I took to variable steering like a duck to water. It just felt natural and made taking swooping curves like circular entry and exit ramps that much easier. Somewhat like riding a motorcycle, I would look where I’m going and with just a little adjustment the car would fall right into the curve. Nicely done.

Adaptive Suspension
My last BMW was a 2006 330i with the RFT’s. The RFT technology was relatively new on the scene and still somewhat in the developmental stages for the times. As I recall, the 2006 ride and handling was a bit rough and unforgiving. The only time it had that smooth as glass feel was on a fresh patch of black asphalt that was recently completed. I was pleasantly surprised with the summer RFT on the 2013 beemer. The ride and handling was much smoother and had a decent amount of that gliding on ice effect. Not sure if it’s advancement on RFT technology or the adaptive suspension or maybe some combination of both. I have already decided to go with regular tubeless tires this winter.

Wheels
Struggled with deciding on 19” or 18” wheels. The 19” wheels fit the wheel wells nicely and look aesthetically appealing relative to the 18”. However I opted for the 18” wheels as the ride and handling characteristics was higher on my priority list over aesthetic appeal. I may convert the stock wheels into winter tires and look for a lighter (weight wise) wheel for summer tires next season.

Driving Modes
Only used comfort and eco-mode during the drive back. It’s readily apparent that the comfort mode and higher has better throttle response. So in the bottle necked construction sites where the traffic is reduced to a crawl, the eco-mode works best. There’s no reason to waste gas with an active throttle response when it’s stop and crawl traffic. I could see using eco-mode when living and driving through Chicago’s congested traffic that is reduced to crawl speed in many instances.

ASS
Recall reading a couple treads where the engine start felt somewhat abrupt and with a shudder. BMW may have addressed this issue on the MY 2013 as the engine restart felt rather tame. It felt much more tamer then the 335i that I recall test-driving a couple months ago. In construction zone crawl traffic, I turned ASS off but turned it back on in city traffic where I would come to a stop at red lights. The flexibility of turning it off and on as needed worked rather well.

Horsepower
Don’t have enough mileage or time to make a meaningful contribution at this time. However I did vary my speed on the autobahn and at times accelerated with moderate sportiness within the break-in limitations. Gotta say that even with moderate acceleration, the handling was perky and the low to mid range power came on strong. My other car in the states is a Porsche Cayman. The Cayman is all about handling and weight distribution. I have a feeling that I will be more then impressed with the beemer once we get the juices flowing.

Handling
The balance and combination of power and handling makes the BMW a BMW. Lithe, agile, tactile, and precise, it’s like a muscular panther in its prime patiently prowling, hunting, pouncing, and attacking for the kill with precision deadly accuracy when needed. What more can I say. It handles great. This of course is a qualified response as I’ve only had it for one day (actually less but more on that in another post). I will need more time with it in the Black Forest. The combination of xDrive, summer tires, and adaptive suspension seem to contribute to it’s overall handling capability. More to come.

The sport seats are to die for. I have a slender athletic build and it holds me very nicely with good support. Also the Dakota Leather breathes better than ette. I did not have the dewy clammy feeling on my seat bottom like the ette. Would recommend leather for anyone on the fence.

Other then one bad experience I had today which I will go into in another post, I have nothing bad to say about the car so far. I’m still in my honeymoon phase and just trying to get better acquainted with the car at this time. It will be more telling after I’ve spent some time with it in the Black Forest or better yet Stelvio Pass in Switzerland.

Added Options
133Z xDrive
B39 Mineral Gray
LCL5 Coral Red w/Black Highlights
2TB Sport Auto Transmission
ZMM M Sport Line
ZPT Summer Performance Tires
ZTP Technology Package
494 Heated Front Seats
ZDH Dynamic Handling (Variable Steering & Adaptive Suspension)
2PE 400M 18” Alloy Wheels with mixed tires (18x8 front, 18x8.5 rear)
417 Rear Window Shades
320 Delete Badge

Last edited by dude987; 07-28-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
NICE- congrats! Looks great!

So I'm guessing you're an American living in Germany? (Non-tourist plates on a US spec car and a Welt delivery of a '13 MSport prior to Aug 13th?)
Yes. Military. Will be here another 1.5 years. Great opportunity to test the limits on the autobahn and possibly Stelvio Pass in Switzerland. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Thanks for posting your photos so quickly.

This is first F30 M Sport I've seen anywhere with the burl walnut interior trim -- EXCELLENT CHOICE!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Stunning, love the color combo. I believe this is the first US spec xDrive M Sport we have seen! Fantastic! Quick question did you get the square all season tire setup? Or is that the performance tires? ZPT?
Got the ZPT summer performance mixed tires. Excellent road feel and feedback. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

Wow! I envy you! Nice color combination.

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

Congrats, very nice car .

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
F30XDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i

Love it!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Stunning car...first time I've seen the wood trim too, looks good.
xDrive stance is still pretty ridiculous...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Beautiful! If I had not gone with EB, MG would have definitely been my choice.

Since they took away the fog lamps to provide "extra cooling", can you tell what is being cooled extra?
      07-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Finally got it. The BMW Welt delivery was an awesome experience. Will share some thoughts later.
NICE!
Love the color combo.

I was going to do sliver w/red but changed to red w/black.

LOVE the look from the rear. The wider tires add to the Msport look.

At first I thought that car sat high, but then realized it's an Xdrive.
But, you also got the adaptive suspension, so why is it taller?
I thought that IF one gets the adaptive, then it would get the 10mm reduction in ride height?

When are you bringing it back to the states?

ENJOY!

Last edited by RPM90; 07-28-2012 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
NICE!
Love the color combo.

I thought that IF one gets the adaptive, then it would get the 10mm reduction in ride height?

ENJOY!
Ride height is not reduced on X drive cars even with M adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
Ride height is not reduced on X drive cars even with M adaptive.
Correct. It has the 2VF adaptive suspension but it is not lowered on the xDrive. Also much to my surprise, it does not have a separate suspension setting switch/button. When I asked about changing the setting from comfort to sport, the advisor stated that it is integrated into the mode setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
LowOnFuel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi

Is it possible to lower an xdrive model?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
NICE!
Love the color combo.

ENJOY!
Should be heading back in about 1.5 years. Unfortunately xDrive does not get the 10mm reduction in ride height.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with the summer RFT on the 2013 beemer. The ride and handling was much smoother and had a decent amount of that gliding on ice effect. Not sure if it’s advancement on RFT technology or the adaptive suspension or maybe some combination of both. I have already decided to go with regular tubeless tires this winter.
What tires came on it? 40oz got Pirelli Cinturato P7:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722977

I am curious if BMW is being consistent with that brand/model choice, or if it is a crap shoot.
      07-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

BEAUTIFUL color combo

Enjoy it
Appreciate 0