F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Wrinkles on Dakota Leather
Extreme Powerhouse

01-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #23
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourer31
Just an update: I tried using a conditioner on it (Griots 2 in 1 Cleaner and Conditioner), there is no effect on the leather. The conditioner just sits on the top and making the surface slippery. I might have to visit a local upholsterer and try to get the leather steamed.
On the issue of conditioner, even BMW used to sell their own and they recommend it for their leather care.

May be good for you to think of it as a sealant or wax for your car. Your paint is coated also, with the clear coat, yet that alone isn't enough protection from the elements for your car. Just look at cars that are around 6-8 years old being driven by people who hardly even wash a car, let alone protect the paint.

In these cars, the clear coat is starting to fade away. At 10 years these cars Tend to look like dull, scratched crap.

Leather seats are not treated with some magic solution, it's just a chemical that'll keep the seats looking decent for 3-5 years.

Even if someone leases a car, it's still yours. If you give a damn about appearances, then you just do.

Some guys shop at Saks and Brooks Brothers, others at Old Navy. Both are wearing clothes, but one guy obviously has a different purpose;

It's all a matter of prospective

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #24
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

OP, your wrinkles (especially in the back) do look a little excessive. However they all wrinkle a bit.

One easy way to tighten up the leather again is to give it a light steaming. Use a damp tea-towel and apply an iron lightly to it and give it a few blasts of steam. Just don't get it too wet or too hot. It really does work. It's s short - medium term thing however and they will come back. Nonetheless I do this once/twice a year and find it very effective. If you are nervous try it on your wife's car first

ETTO but I would stay away from conditioners/cleaners. All is use is Dr Leather wipes which are water based and have none of the silicone nasty stuff common in other cleaners.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #25
335penguin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourer31 View Post
Hi, I have a 2013 328i with the Oyster Dakota Leather Seats.

I purchased the car since new and over time the leather is getting wrinkles
and creases on it. I do find it normal that leather tends to wrinkle
however, I find the ones on my car rather excessive.

I tried to address this issue to my SA whenever I took it for a service but they
always quickly dismissed my concern stating that it's normal for
leather to do that.

What do guys think? Am I being too picky for it?
The car currently has around 22k miles and the rear seats are rarely used.

Did you ever get this resolved through your dealer? I am going through the same issue right now they've denied my claim twice...I preferred the sensatec on my first f30 had it 2 years no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #26
Devourer31
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335penguin View Post
Did you ever get this resolved through your dealer? I am going through the same issue right now they've denied my claim twice...I preferred the sensatec on my first f30 had it 2 years no issues.
My SA told me that BMW NA won't allow for a full replacement unless it was ripped or had defects. Also asked a local upholsterer and I was quoted around $1000 to take the seat apart and re-tight them. In the end, I decided to live with it as I won't keep the car for long.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #27
335penguin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourer31 View Post
My SA told me that BMW NA won't allow for a full replacement unless it was ripped or had defects. Also asked a local upholsterer and I was quoted around $1000 to take the seat apart and re-tight them. In the end, I decided to live with it as I won't keep the car for long.

Wow that's a bummer I'm not leasing so I'll be stuck with it
I contacted BMW NA in hopes of getting them to change their mind, hopefully they help me. Thank you for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #28
travelingman
Rep
Drives: 328d M Package

Steam will take the wrinkles out. Your only other option is to take to a good auto upholstery company and have them fill areas with dacron to fill the loose areas. But steam will pull the leather tighter.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #29
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Not even my old Honda leather (on the drivers seat) looked like that after 80k miles. Not normal and I weigh 190..
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #30
335penguin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Not even my old Honda leather (on the drivers seat) looked like that after 80k miles. Not normal and I weigh 190..
I agree not normal mines not nearly as bad as OP but for only being a 6 month old car it's ridiculous too bad BMWNA doesn't agree
Appreciate 0