F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > C Class to 330d
ARMA SPEED

09-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

C Class to 330d

Hi everyone. Seeing as it looks like I am going to be a regular on here I thought I would introduce myself and maybe sneak in a few questions you guys may be able to help me with too.

I am currently in a C250CDI AMG Sport (Manual.) - Yes I know, until my Bavarian beast arrives I am considered some sort of scum around here.

Have a F30 330d msport in estoril blue with Dakota beige interior on order for mid October delivery. The extras I have gone for are the visibility pack and business sat nav.

I really wanted an 335d, however with no Sdrive yet I had to say no. That and the difference in ride height were the only reasons I decided against the 335.If it wasn't for that I would have got it, but the juvenile in me still enjoys sliding around far more often than I should!

As you can see from the picture of the current ride it did not come with Xenons. I went the HID option only because the merc has projector lenses and you can kind of pull off a OEM look with HID's. (Maybe im blind and it looks totally fake, you guys tell me.)

As for the 330d, without angel eyes and with HID's it would look way too fake and tacky. So I decided the visibility pack was for me.

Also went for the basic sat nav system only because I am sick of carrying the Garmin around in the car.

I have some questions I hope you can help me with

1. I did not opt for the privacy glass as BMW are charging what I feel is way too much. I can get the back professionally tinted for like £100. Did any of you guys go down the tint route or do you think the official BMW glass is better?

2. How many miles did you guys break in for before attempting a top end run? (Please note im not asking which method you guys used to break in your engines, I most certainly will be doing it by the book. Ive run in numerous cars through the years and know through experience not to be doing it the hard way.) I just want to know what the mileage was before you attempted hitting that magic three digit figure.

3. I have access to a top of the range Autologic machine. Does anyone know if I can use this to mess about with the coding of the car?

4. I have got until Monday morning to decide on which wheels I want. Everyone is telling me that 18's are the best all round.
18's?
19's?
or 20's?

5. I had LED lighting installed in the number plate lights on the Merc and changed all the interiors for LED's (My wife asked me if I was now growing weed in the car?!)
Does the F30 come with LEDs in the number plate lights? If not has any one changed interior and number plate to LED? Any errors or is all ok?

6. I know the gearbox is not a DCT job but can you do launch control?

I will probably have a ton more stupid questions for you guys but if any of you could help me out with the above that would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Welcome!

I came from a W204, too.

If you are having tints, then I would go BMW. No issues with bubbles or anything that could plague aftermarket tints.

Haven't you answered your own question regarding speed? If you are breaking in according to the manual then you are not going to see top speed for 1000miles or so.

Regarding #3, doubt it, but you can buy a coding cable for beer money.

19's are too cool for school. 20's look the nuts, but hear they can be a little 'harsh'.

LED standard both interior and number plates, so you can retire your Halfords Mar-chav-card

You won't need launch control, but yes it should have it, I say should, there are new orders that haven't got LC despite BMW's press release.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

19s would be my choice too. Go for the M Sport plus kit as that gets you the wheels, sun pro glass and a few other things. Some report then the vis pack actually reduces your payments on a PCP because of the enhanced final value. Play around on the configurator and then ask dealer

Also would consider pro nav, much nicer and because again of enhanced residual it might not work out too much more overall.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
DasUberbadger
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D MSport+ EBII

Another vote here for BMW tint and 19"s. My previous E90 (320 SE) felt like it had the Flintstones' car wheels + suspension on the pothole-ridden ride to work, but the 330 with 19s, msport suspension + comfort setting is brilliant over the same shite Cheshire terrain.

Plus it looks the fecking business which TBH trumps practicality any day

If it helps any, I spent months twiddling the configurator to get the best monthly figure, and settled on Pro Nav, Vis, comfort pack and MSport+ as essentials, with leccy mirrors, HUD (ohhhh the HUD), VSS (brilliant) and sun protection glass as luxuries. Couldn't be happier with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
kalib0y
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 LS1 M3

congrats, 19s and medium tint would be a great start
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I've had some very good aftermarket tints however you'll be looking at £200-250 for a quality job with no peeling/bubbles. Done properly they can look great - but not OEM.

Due to the fact aftermarket tints are a film, they go over the top of any shading on the glass (i.e. black or speckled edge to the glass) which can look nasty. I don't have my F30 yet so not sure if this will apply.

The positive is you can choose the level on tint, I used to have limo black on the rear, fading through dark to light on the front window (before that was made illegal!). They also tend to cut out more heat than the factory glass in my experience.

My advice though, go with factory if at all possible.
      09-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Welcome!

I came from a W204, too.

Haven't you answered your own question regarding speed? If you are breaking in according to the manual then you are not going to see top speed for 1000miles or so.

You won't need launch control, but yes it should have it, I say should, there are new orders that haven't got LC despite BMW's press release.
Lol, I should have been more clear. What I meant was once the car is broken in, some people say between 1200 - 1500 you should gradually increase revs before you attempt a top end run. So what I meant was did you guys just hammer it when it hit 1200 or did any of you gradually increase until 1500 and then kick the fook out of it?

In regards to LC, I hope it does. Will let you guys know once it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasUberbadger View Post
Another vote here for BMW tint and 19"s. My previous E90 (320 SE) felt like it had the Flintstones' car wheels + suspension on the pothole-ridden ride to work, but the 330 with 19s, msport suspension + comfort setting is brilliant over the same shite Cheshire terrain.

Plus it looks the fecking business which TBH trumps practicality any day

If it helps any, I spent months twiddling the configurator to get the best monthly figure, and settled on Pro Nav, Vis, comfort pack and MSport+ as essentials, with leccy mirrors, HUD (ohhhh the HUD), VSS (brilliant) and sun protection glass as luxuries. Couldn't be happier with it.
Thanks for the advice with the finance, however I wont be using it. Fortunately for me I am not paying for the car. (One of the perks of managing my fleet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
I've had some very good aftermarket tints however you'll be looking at £200-250 for a quality job with no peeling/bubbles. Done properly they can look great - but not OEM.

Due to the fact aftermarket tints are a film, they go over the top of any shading on the glass (i.e. black or speckled edge to the glass) which can look nasty. I don't have my F30 yet so not sure if this will apply.

The positive is you can choose the level on tint, I used to have limo black on the rear, fading through dark to light on the front window (before that was made illegal!). They also tend to cut out more heat than the factory glass in my experience.

My advice though, go with factory if at all possible.
I totally agree what you say about cutting out more heat than factory glass. Its purely on this basis i'll be getting a good quality aftermarket job done.

And BTW, £250 for tints? Your getting robbed mate. I have had my last six cars done by the same place (back windows only) using good quality materials all for around the £100 - £120 mark each time.
They also come with a lifetime warranty, so if you get any peeling or bubbles you just drive in and they replace it there and then. Peeling only ever happened once to me due to the Mrs putting down the window before the film has cured. Never had bubbles.
I do understand what your saying about specled and shaded areas, but unless you get within 30cm of the car you are not going to notice it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Lol, I should have been more clear. What I meant was once the car is broken in, some people say between 1200 - 1500 you should gradually increase revs before you attempt a top end run. So what I meant was did you guys just hammer it when it hit 1200 or did any of you gradually increase until 1500 and then kick the fook out of it?
No some hammered it leaving the dealer on collection day.
Appreciate 0