F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech’s new and improved MMI and park assist cameras
proTUNING Freaks

10-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Arrow BimmerTech’s new and improved MMI and park assist cameras

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know about a few changes we’ve made here at BimmerTech to enhance our park assist cameras.

We’re now shipping our improved multimedia interface as standard with all our MMI rear and front view camera kits for BMW F3x.
What’s the difference? Well, this one lets you access the on-screen settings menu through the iDrive controller,
so you don’t have to worry about any separate remote controls, wires or anything else cluttering up your interior.
Even by itself that’s a pretty big deal, but the real benefit is what you can do with those settings once you’ve installed
one of our Front View Cameras, too.

You can switch the camera on manually at any time using the iDrive controller, but if your vehicle has automatic transmission
and you want a little (or a lot!) more convenience, you can set it to activate automatically any time you shift from reverse
to drive—as you would when parking up—and then switch back to the standard iDrive screen when you’re done.
We asked Donald at Alarm A Car in Bristol to rig up a few cameras and our new MMI in an F30 so that you could see how it all works:

All you need to do is go into the settings menu and select whether or not you want the camera to activate automatically
and for how long after you shift into drive you want it to display for, from 2 to 10 seconds:

Pretty simple, huh? If your vehicle has PDC, you can also choose whether to keep the optical warning,
or override it for full-screen camera display.

We might have improved our MMI, but we didn’t need to do anything to our cameras. Our rear view cameras are integrated
with the trunk handle, and our front view cameras are still as discrete as ever, fitting easily into the front mesh.
In fact, they’re so small you’ll hardly even see they’re there:

Don’t let the size fool you, though! These guys still pack a serious punch, so you’ll have great image quality wherever you’re driving.
And thinking of image quality, our new MMI also comes with a couple of HDMI ports, so you’ll be able to connect
our SmartView HD some time, too.

I hope you’ll agree that Donald did a great job on this one, so if you’re in the UK and want him to fit anything
to your car, drop Alarm A Car a line. Their contact details are available on our installer page, where you can also find
somebody a little closer to you if you don’t happen to live in Bristol.

If you have any questions, just let us know
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Does the new MMI unit provide 12v or 5v power? I've seen some photos in which there's a USB port for connecting i.e. an Apple TV (in case of SmartView HD)?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
Does the new MMI unit provide 12v or 5v power? I've seen some photos in which there's a USB port for connecting i.e. an Apple TV (in case of SmartView HD)?
The new MMI has three dedicated power supply connectors for rear view camera (12v), front view camera (12v) and SmartView HD (5v, USB).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
The new MMI has three dedicated power supply connectors for rear view camera (12v), front view camera (12v) and SmartView HD (5v, USB).
By SmartView HD you mean a modified Apple TV 3?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
By SmartView HD you mean a modified Apple TV 3?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Is the USB a standard connector or a proprietary one? In other words, can I use it to power any USB gadget (5V 1A) or just the modified Apple TV?

Last edited by MarkoSK; 10-11-2016 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Added more details
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Do you have any BimmerTech associates in Atlanta and how much would a rear view camera set up plus install cost on a F30 335i with no PDC?

PM box is clear, if needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Is the USB a standard connector or a proprietary one? In other words, can I use it to power any USB gadget (5V 1A) or just the modified Apple TV?
Standard connector.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu View Post
Do you have any BimmerTech associates in Atlanta and how much would a rear view camera set up plus install cost on a F30 335i with no PDC?

PM box is clear, if needed.
We have an installer in Tyrone, GA

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/dealers

You will to contact installer for installation quote.

For pricing please enter your VIN here http://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/

Last edited by Nelson@BimmerTech; 10-11-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Patrys, did you guys actually upgrade the cameras or just the interface?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
sirch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Is it plausible to add on a thermal camera for night vision driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpaden View Post
Is it plausible to add on a thermal camera for night vision driving?
As long as the thermal camera has the RCA yellow output, then you can hook it up with the MMI.
By thermal camera, do you mean Flir? Have you found any with the price tag less than $2k?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
sirch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
As long as the thermal camera has the RCA yellow output, then you can hook it up with the MMI.
By thermal camera, do you mean Flir? Have you found any with the price tag less than $2k?
FLIR thermal imaging night vision camera for a 99-03 Cadillac Deville, camera sells for under $200-$500 via eBay, might even be lower if using car-parts.com, you can connect the camera to any tv/head unit that has a typical yellow RCA wire input. On the camera there are 6 pins, 2 not used, 2 power, and 2 for picture, common upgrade on other cars to head unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpaden View Post
FLIR thermal imaging night vision camera for a 99-03 Cadillac Deville, camera sells for under $200-$500 via eBay, might even be lower if using car-parts.com, you can connect the camera to any tv/head unit that has a typical yellow RCA wire input. On the camera there are 6 pins, 2 not used, 2 power, and 2 for picture, common upgrade on other cars to head unit.
The resolution is bad
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 02:37 AM   #15
jcartagena
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

Does this auto enable front cam feature only work with a BimmerTech camera or all cams? Is the multimedia unit only looking for a video input from the front cam?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcartagena View Post
Does this auto enable front cam feature only work with a BimmerTech camera or all cams? Is the multimedia unit only looking for a video input from the front cam?
It's a feature of our new MMI not the front camera itself so it can be used with a 3rd party front camera too.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

How hard is it to install the MMI HD unit? Do I need to splice any cables, i.e. for the 12V power?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
How hard is it to install the MMI HD unit? Do I need to splice any cables, i.e. for the 12V power?
It's plug and play
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #19
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info. One more question - on a 8" screen, does the MMI output 1080p or a lower resolution (given the input is 1080p)?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 04:14 AM   #20
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One more question - on a 8" screen, does the MMI output 1080p or a lower resolution (given the input is 1080p)?
The MMI will give you 1080p but what you will see is the max resolution of your screen. You can't see more than your screen can display.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
hanselfransel
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Installed today bimmertech mmi kit on f82
Rear cam works, but front cam display in hid says "no hdmi signal", and if you push f8 twice it say no av signal.
If i switch front cam to rear cam connectors cam works.
So where should be the problem, the frontcam have no hdmi connector so don t understand
why this message pop up.
Dip switch 7 is on rest off
And i can t reach the bimmertech service menue maybe i can change some settings, i have no remote control ordered because no need.

Any hints?

PS: have no manual till now , request vial mail was sent

Last edited by hanselfransel; 11-21-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #22
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Hi,

I'm Maciej from tech support. I'm in the process of preparing instructions specifically for your installation - they will be ready in less than 24hrs.

But since you have already completed the installation I will cover the basics here.

DIP switch settings for your installation: #2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 should be set to ON. All others should be set to OFF.

The RCA cable from the front camera must be connected to the RCA socket F-CAM or F-IN on the RCA harness connected to the MMI AV harness. Likewise the power supply plug from the front camera must be connected to the corresponding front camera power supply socket also to be found on the same AV harness.

To engage the front camera you will first have to turn it on in the MMI modules factory menu. Accessing this menu is done for example by entering one of MMI modules additional inputs like HDMI by pressing MENU on your iDrive controller for 3s (a black screen will appear if you do not have an HDMI signal source plugged into the MMI – which is fine) and then pressing and holding the iDrive controllers BACK button for 3s. The menu will appear. In it navigate to Function → FCAM ENABLE and select YES.

If your vehicle has an iDrive controller with arrows in 4 directions it is preferred to set the iDrive TYPE setting in the MMI factory menu to HIGH. By default it is set to LOW. This setting changes which iDrive controller arrows are responsible for selecting the front view camera. In LOW the front camera will be engaged by quickly tapping the iDrive controller to the side in the 3 o'clock direction. In HIGH it will be engaged by quickly tapping the iDrive controller forward in the 12 o'clock direction which is more intuitive. Disengaging the front camera is done the same way as engaging it.

The factory menu disappears on its own after a few seconds. To exit the HDMI input and return to the regular iDrive menu quickly press the MENU button on the iDrive controller.

Make sure the front camera picture is unobstructed by the grille and not upside down. If the camera works fine you can now secure the camera cable with cable ties to prevent it from moving around. After the cable is in its final location seal the hole you made in the grommet with black silicone. Proceed to reassemble all of the trim pieces.

Once again - you will receive complete instructions tomorrow.

Fcam TIME is also an interesting setting that causes the front cam to engage automatically for a preset amount of seconds when you put your car in D gear .
Attached Images

Appreciate 1