F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MT vs AT
Extreme Powerhouse

10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
ThatEgyptianKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Smile MT vs AT

So since I'm in NJ. And have to deal with hurricane Sandy I got a little bored and thought why not start a vs. discussion on transmission. Especially because I'm not sure what I even want on my car yet.

So let the arguing(discussing) begin. Which do you prefer? Which is your favorite. Upsides? Downsides? Which shifts faster/slower?

I personally want my first car manual it gives tht connected feel to the car but because I'm young I like that speed factor and am a little obsessed with the faster 0-60 with the AT plus I think the MT might suck during traffic
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

I'm not a fan of manual. There are benefit to throttle control, but I like the convenience of two hands on the wheel with the auto, especially as the wheel can control more than just steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
jeffd0901
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

FWIW, I've driven manuals for the last 20+ years pretty exclusively (two 993's, E39 M5, Clubman S, and two mid-80's vintage Carreras)... I have a ~15-mile one way commute that can be stop-and-go at times and have tired as well with the "surging" of manuals while in traffic (in particular for my passengers).

That said, I was torn when looking at the F30... the first one I drove was a manual Alpine White Sport Line and I really liked it. Then I drove a Sport-Auto (w/ paddle shifters) and fell in love... in "Sport" or "Sport +" mode the tranny shifts lightening quick and is EXTREMELY responsive when the throttle is mashed. It is so engaging that I rarely even use the paddles, although it is nice to have the option.

Just my $.02, but I was sold from my first drive and haven't looked back since.
      10-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
love BMW manuals, IMO it doesnt get any better then a performance car with a stick.
i have DCT now i love this auto but i would trade it for a manual any day.

performance wise new autos car do better then manual in most cases but fun to drive definitely goes to manual

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

i see this thread... but i am not going to respond to it...

because this subject has been beaten to death a hundred times over now.

the conclusion is:

The Co-existence between Automatic and Manual will exist for as long as we still have oil to fuel our cars...

neither one will make the other go away...

I am sorry for your boredom due to Sandy coming??

Living in the Sun shiny and moon light cool breeze southwest coast, we yearn for at least one or two full day of continuous rain a year...

If Sandy was coming here, i would be so happy to stay home and wait for her!

Having said that, Hope she doesn't knock on your door too hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
BMoutlaW
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Girls dig a guy with a manual common knowledge its something you can teach them if they dont already know how to drive one. Also if the 0-60 is a big factor for you just get an n20 tune from bms or any other tune out there which will take care of that problem for you. Speaking as a 23 year old who occasionally goes clubbing its what the girls like. I love bmw because of the way they drive mt or at but if you want that extra sex appeal i'd go with the 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

This thread is going to make me want to punch my computer screen. I can just tell already.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I've only ever driven manuals for 20 years and finally BMW has offered an auto box worth buying in the 8AT. It's streets ahead of anything I've ever driven before. The changes are as good as a VAG DSG on the way up and vastly superior on the way down and infinitely better than any double-clutch gearbox I've driven in stop start traffic.

I figure it this way for myself: if I bought a manual, for 95% of my driving, I'd be wishing I had the auto and for the other 5%, the auto is now good enough for me not to care.

10-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Went with the manual. Grew up on them and need that interaction...maybe it reminds me of being 14 years old driving on those KY back roads? There are many + to the auto but I'm not that old or lazy yet (no offense) and I drive in Brussels stop and go all the time...worth it still. Other than pickup trucks I will always go with the manual...if they don't sell it in a manual I ain't buying it. I would've paid more for it. It's your $ so do what makes you happy, gets you paid or gets you laid.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh yeah, and if you want the grown-up engine, the manual isn't even an option because the torque would pull it to pieces

It's no coincidence that no performance cars, or even race cars for that matter, come with manuals any more. Tech moves on and we benefit from it
      10-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
ThatEgyptianKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

So. I think so far it's (im going to use sport auto)
Manual: fun driving,extra sex appeal,a little less performance
Auto: a lil higher performance and a plus in stop and go traffic and somewhat of a manual when you want it

Btw using the two videos in another thread (MY 2013 0-60) the manual is only .2 sec slower in a 0-60 and the manual had all seasons while the auto had summers so I don't think the performance is really that much of a difference
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
jeffd0901
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
This thread is going to make me want to punch my computer screen. I can just tell already.
Hilarious... I was just thinking the same thing.
      10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatEgyptianKid View Post
So. I think so far it's (im going to use sport auto)
Manual: fun driving,extra sex appeal,a little less performance
Auto: a lil higher performance and a plus in stop and go traffic and somewhat of a manual when you want it

Btw using the two videos in another thread (MY 2013 0-60) the manual is only .2 sec slower in a 0-60 and the manual had all seasons while the auto had summers so I don't think the performance is really that much of a difference
Since you don't seem to be trolling (intro and thread title would definitely suggest so), here's a simple breakdown for you:

a) If you are buying "Jack of all trades, master of none" which means it will spend 95+% of time in a daily commute AND you are not old ... throw a coin and go with what it says. If you ARE old (where old doesn't necessarily mean years number, just a general state of mind), get AT.

b) If you are buying a weekend toy or a car that will spend many more miles on pleasure rather than mundane duties ... get MT

It's that simple. Really.
      10-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
LOL!

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
b) If you are buying a weekend toy or a car that will spend many more miles on pleasure rather than mundane duties ... get MT

If you are buying a weekend toy or a car that will spend many more miles on pleasure rather than mundane duties ... get a sports car like a Cayman or something.

Honestly though, who buys a 3 series as a toy? It's a commuter, not a sports car.
      10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Oh yeah, and if you want the grown-up engine, the manual isn't even an option because the torque would pull it to pieces

It's no coincidence that no performance cars, or even race cars for that matter, come with manuals any more. Tech moves on and we benefit from it
Yes tech moves on. The MT has an auto hold when you are on an incline and take your foot off the brake.
      10-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoutlaW View Post
Girls dig a guy with a manual common knowledge its something you can teach them if they dont already know how to drive one. Also if the 0-60 is a big factor for you just get an n20 tune from bms or any other tune out there which will take care of that problem for you. Speaking as a 23 year old who occasionally goes clubbing its what the girls like. I love bmw because of the way they drive mt or at but if you want that extra sex appeal i'd go with the 6 speed.
So basically, your advice is that owning a car with manual transmission will directly result in more shagging?
      10-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
Since you don't seem to be trolling (intro and thread title would definitely suggest so), here's a simple breakdown for you:

a) If you are buying "Jack of all trades, master of none" which means it will spend 95+% of time in a daily commute AND you are not old ... throw a coin and go with what it says. If you ARE old (where old doesn't necessarily mean years number, just a general state of mind), get AT.

the manual does probalby have a tiny bit more sex appeal. i grew up in LA and live there now, where like 98% of people drive auto but its at least noteable if someone has one.

then again its probably not worth it. i can drive a manual, but not what i'd call great, plus its probably not worth it in traffic. that said the other issue is "well if you are drunk, we cant even drive you home" , so there is that DUI risk if no one you know can drive manual.

that said, point B doesnt work since the 3 series really isnt a weekend toy. if i was buying a weekend mx-5 or something i'd get a manual 100 times out of 100 though. or i guess for more moneyed people a elise / cayman etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Manuals help keep you from getting carjacked. Boom.

That just happened.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
So basically, your advice is that owning a car with manual transmission will directly result in more shagging?
Perhaps when you are 17.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
jeffd0901
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
I've actually found that shenanigans in a vehicle are more readily had without a pesky manual shifter getting in the way... but then again I'm old and likely not nearly as nimble as the young bucks posting here.
      10-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Been driving manual for 11 years and recently got rid of my last manual car so i've been on autos for a few months and its killing me. Sure at time its nice to have a auto, But having a manual is that much better. Plus my wife wants a manual also which is awesome. Can't wait for it to come in, when i test drove the 8speed auto sure it was nice and shift very fast almost felt VW DSG fast but it bored me. Every person is different its hard to read a review and go off that, Just pick one in 3 years if you dont like it then you know what to get next.