F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Android Avin 10.25 rear camera install
proTUNING Freaks

10-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #23
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanrith View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I recently purchased a 2013 320i xDrive. I'm trying to add a no-name aftermarket OEM integrated backup camera and am having some trouble figuring out how to power up the camera. I have a red and black wire and am looking to connect it to the right side reverse light but am not sure which wires to splice and I'm not sure it will be enough power to power up the camera.

I've attached a photo of a similar camera that I'm working with.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

--Chanrith
Happy to help if I can. Look for the two wires going to your backup light, usually on the passenger side. There should be brown (ground) and red, or black with a red stripe, or a couple of other options. Brown is ground.. so tap your black to the brown ground, and the red to the other.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
Chanrith
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Happy to help if I can. Look for the two wires going to your backup light, usually on the passenger side. There should be brown (ground) and red, or black with a red stripe, or a couple of other options. Brown is ground.. so tap your black to the brown ground, and the red to the other.
Awesome, I will try it out. Attached is an image of the connector for the right rear taillight. I've found brown, now gotta figure out where red goes as I only need the camera to turn on when in reverse. Thanks so much for your help with this.

Green #1 = ?
Brown #2 = Ground
Yellow #3 = ?
Blue #4 = ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #25
philb1972
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30 Auto Sedan MY13

Hi,

Can you repost the pictures in the first post? All I can see is a place holder "Photobucket please update your account....." (or am I doing something wrong?)

Also can you confirm there is no coding (I am wondering why that is)?

Thanks,

Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #26
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanrith View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I recently purchased a 2013 320i xDrive. I'm trying to add a no-name aftermarket OEM integrated backup camera and am having some trouble figuring out how to power up the camera. I have a red and black wire and am looking to connect it to the right side reverse light but am not sure which wires to splice and I'm not sure it will be enough power to power up the camera.

I've attached a photo of a similar camera that I'm working with.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

--Chanrith
I don't know why everyone is saying to use the backup light for this. Initially I tapped my light and tried to run the cam directly from it. This doesn't supply enough current to run the camera directly.. maybe earlier posters were suggesting to use it as the trigger for the relay? Ultimately I ended up testing the cam wire coming from my avin unit (purchased three weeks ago) and it works just fine. Just connect the red wire on the power cord to the red wire from the head unit and the black wire to a chassis ground.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Do I connect the red wire to the AVIN Camera +12V wire or the Camera Detect wire?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:38 AM   #28
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDon92 View Post
Do I connect the red wire to the AVIN Camera +12V wire or the Camera Detect wire?
12v
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #29
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Photos are busted.. can you update so they can be visible again? Thanks!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #30
BCBMWF30
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #31
xl3vax
Rep
Drives: 428i BMW

AVIN rear camera

When you turn the steering wheel, do the green and red lines on the screen curve accordingly or are they static?
In my screen they stay still... what do I need to do to make them connected to the steering wheel?

I just finished installing my gen2 10.25 screen and I connected the camera:
I just connected the red cable REAR CAMERA from the screen and the RCA yellow from the screen to the camera wire. It works.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #32
Pacsniper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Looking for any form of help to install the Backup camera. If only the pictures were still there
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #33
mynameisname
Private
Rep
Drives: FBO F30 328i, Lexus LC500

I got the wireless 2.4ghz camera with transmitters. I don't know which wire in the car's harness is for the reverse camera. The video cable that I was provided with the camera has a blue wire that needs to tap into the reverse camera wire in the car. Anyone know where this is (what color)?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #34
Atibbs2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i f30

WiFi transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisname View Post
I got the wireless 2.4ghz camera with transmitters. I don't know which wire in the car's harness is for the reverse camera. The video cable that I was provided with the camera has a blue wire that needs to tap into the reverse camera wire in the car. Anyone know where this is (what color)?
I bought the WiFi transmitter as well did you figure out what wire it is
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #35
mynameisname
Private
Rep
Drives: FBO F30 328i, Lexus LC500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atibbs2009 View Post
I bought the WiFi transmitter as well did you figure out what wire it is
just decided to hardwire it and run the wires through. instructions were really lacking clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #36
richard_yii
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 SERIES 320D

Can someone help me please. I bought the after market reverse camera and connected it.

In the image you will see the 2 red wires, that's the camera wire connected to the 12V reverse camera light. I used a DIGITAL MULTIMETER to find out the correct wire.

However when I put the car in reverse. The camera connections is very very temperamental, its comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off. I believe the camera is not getting enough power to it. How did people fix this is this?

I have this little box, I believe it's a relay box, However I have no idea on how to use it.

This image is my reverse camera with all the wires. The only thing missing is the relay.

Pictures and links will be useful please. Thanks

Last edited by richard_yii; 10-20-2019 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #37
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

The easiest way to connect a third party backup camera to an Android unit:
1. Connect the yellow video cable to the Android box, and to the camera in the other end.
2. Connect the red wire sticking out from the video cable, to the red Camera (+12v) wire on the Android unit, and the other end to the red camera power cable.

This is usually all it takes. Ground is supplied through the video cable.

Now, if this doesn't work, then you could try this: Ground the black cable from the camera power harness.

If still no success, you might need to use the Detect (DET) wire from the Android box: Find the +12v cable in the backup light harness, and run a cable from it to the Detect wire. In this last case, there might not be any power from the Android Camera +12v cable either, so you will need to find another power source. Only in this case is a relay needed.

Last edited by Mjam; 10-23-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #38
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
The easiest way to connect a third party backup camera to an Android unit:
1. Connect the yellow video cable to the Android box, and to the camera in the other end.
2. Connect the red wire sticking out from the video cable, to the red Camera (+12v) wire on the Android unit, and the other end to the red camera power cable.

This is usually all it takes. Ground is supplied through the video cable.

Now, if this doesn't work, then you could try this: Ground the black cable from the camera power harness.

If still no success, you might need to use the Detect (DET) wire from the Android box: Find the +12v cable in the backup light harness, and run a cable from it to the Detect wire. In this last case, there might not be any power from the Android Camera +12v cable either, so you will need to find another power source. Only in this case is a relay needed.
Pretty much this is the way to connect it on 99% of Android units including CarPlay boxes, now I made a pretty rough diagram using the picture posted to explain how everything should be connected.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #39
ozumct
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 420d Gran Coupé (F36)

Where to find the +12v power supply for reverse light on BMW F36?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #40
Ant-F31
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Afternoon All,

I have just retofitted which looks like a kit extremely similar to this.

For some strange reason when i put the car into reverse (manual) and the rear view camera activates - the rear parking sensor image which should push over to the right hand side of the screen (split screen is on and works normally) just vanishes and the right side of the screen is left black.

if i click the options button i can see that opens behind the camera screen if that makes sense (almost like the camera screen is an overlay).

The first time i tested this everything worked fine and i could see both the parking sensor screen (on the right) and the rear view camera (on the left). No idea why all of a sudden its not splitting correctly when the camera is active.

Sensors still work fine.

Has anyone experienced this or know a fix? Its a 8.8inch screen in a F31 - NBT with satnav.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #41
Ant-F31
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I managed to fix this problem.

Turns out i had DIP switch 1 and 3 on but was using a non OEM camera. This made it not work right. turning DIP switch 1 to the off position fixed everything.

If anyone else has similar issues or fits this themselves, this guide i have just found was perfect.

https://incartec.blob.core.windows.n...20(BM-908).pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #42
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Pretty much this is the way to connect it on 99% of Android units including CarPlay boxes, now I made a pretty rough diagram using the picture posted to explain how everything should be connected.

I wired my ANDREAM MMI Unit like this and my camera doesn't go off, nor can I access my idrive or MMI unit. I tried different wiring connections and none work. Only the way you described.
DO I need to try different dip switch settings? I have HU-Entry with 6.5 inch screen. Andream MMI unit and their after market camera which looks identical to the picture you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:03 PM   #43
Yousuf7
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySmoooth View Post
I wired my ANDREAM MMI Unit like this and my camera doesn't go off, nor can I access my idrive or MMI unit. I tried different wiring connections and none work. Only the way you described.
DO I need to try different dip switch settings? I have HU-Entry with 6.5 inch screen. Andream MMI unit and their after market camera which looks identical to the picture you posted.
I'm having the same issue, I believe I have a back/reverse detect purple cable, which may need to be tapped in to the reverse led
Appreciate 0