F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 320i allignment issues?
GetBMWParts

07-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
qwik320
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i M Sport package

320i allignment issues?

Forum and BMW owner Rookie.. hopefully this post will not sound to dumb.

I have a 2015 320i with M sport package.. has about 4k miles on it. I purchased it as "used" program car in March when it had about 2k miles on it.

Im not sure If im just noticing it or if its a new issue, but I have a slight pull to the right if my hands leave the wheel. It will drift straight for about 2 seconds and then start a drift to the right. I booked an apt. at the BMW service and was told (without them driving it or inspecting it) that a slight pull to the right is "bmw standard design" and would not service the vehicle.

Im thinking this is not an accurate statement.. but wanted to ask the forum for advice on this one.

Few extra details:

Tire pressure is 32 lbs on all 4 tires. The right sides may be down a few tenths, but not sure thats enough to cause the drift.. unless there is a tread issue going on.

Had to add air to all 4 tires after owning it for 4 weeks. All 4 tires reported very low 27 to 28 lbs. one morning.. couldnt even get into sport mode becasue of the run flat tire warnings.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Halsifer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwik320 View Post
Forum and BMW owner Rookie.. hopefully this post will not sound to dumb.

I have a 2015 320i with M sport package.. has about 4k miles on it. I purchased it as "used" program car in March when it had about 2k miles on it.

Im not sure If im just noticing it or if its a new issue, but I have a slight pull to the right if my hands leave the wheel. It will drift straight for about 2 seconds and then start a drift to the right. I booked an apt. at the BMW service and was told (without them driving it or inspecting it) that a slight pull to the right is "bmw standard design" and would not service the vehicle.

Im thinking this is not an accurate statement.. but wanted to ask the forum for advice on this one.

Few extra details:

Tire pressure is 32 lbs on all 4 tires. The right sides may be down a few tenths, but not sure thats enough to cause the drift.. unless there is a tread issue going on.

Had to add air to all 4 tires after owning it for 4 weeks. All 4 tires reported very low 27 to 28 lbs. one morning.. couldnt even get into sport mode becasue of the run flat tire warnings.

Thanks for the help!
Inaccurate statement, I do believe a pull to the right is not standard BMW design, or any vehicle design for that matter. You are likely out of alignment. It can happen at anytime with any vehicle just by road imperfections. Your vehicle should be aligned. Alignments are typically not provided under warranty or maintenance. So you could have a BMW dealership perform this for a likely very high price, or any tire shop that you may trust.

If all 4 tires were low on pressure evenly, it's likely because of whether. Either that, or someone is evilly letting air out of your tires on a very even and sophisticated level. It's very unlikely that it's because of a leak or alignment.
2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
They may have been only running at 29-30 pounds, and on a colder than normal morning went low enough to trip the warning. Ask Tom Brady.
Slight pull to the right is normal if the road is highly crowned, but it should not pull on a flat surface. See what happens on a multi-lane highway when you're in the left lane.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

I didn't know they offered the M Sport package as a factory option on the 320. I had to retrofit mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
I didn't know they offered the M Sport package as a factory option on the 320. I had to retrofit mine.
It's not available on the X Drive.

A pull in any direction is not normal. I hate when dealers and service centers perpetuate this myth. Just by looking at your alignment printout(general not specific), usually all four corners are square. There is nothing in the factory specs that indicate a pull to a predetermined side. If this is their response, escalate the issue with BMW NA. Also have them check the tires for Radial pull.

Radial pull occurs during the manufacturing process. While the radial ply's are being applied, they weren't straight. Resulting in a pull when installed on a car. So have them check the tires by swapping sides to see if the pull changes direction.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
It's just the Sport package. You get the M Sport Steering Wheel, M Sport Suspension, Matte Chrome Exterior Trim, Anthracite headliner, Sport Seats, and 18" wheels.

But you don't get the M Sport Aerodynamic Body Kit...
2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
qwik320
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone for the advice / thoughts. I assumed I was dealing with someone who was trying to clear their busy morning calendar. Hope its not a tire issue (but fear it might be)... I think I'd rather pay for an alignment!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
qwik320
Registered
Rep

Quote:
My fault.. its not true M package.. just Sport package with M Trimmings..

Where did you get your retrofit kit and what all did you mod? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My fault.. its not true M package.. just Sport package with M Trimmings..

Where did you get your retrofit kit and what all did you mod? Thx!
I bought a used bumper through the forum and all the other parts through getbmwparts, IIRC. Bumper was EBII so I had to repaint to MG and buy all the pieces needed to attach it to the car.

Sport package here too - I really think the 320 with navigation and sport package is one of the best deals! I think the xDrive AND RWD sport package rims look great! Somewhere in there they even bundled in ambient lighting for the exterior door handles and several places in the interior! My only wish would have been to find one with no moonroof.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #10
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
I bought a used bumper through the forum and all the other parts through getbmwparts, IIRC. Bumper was EBII so I had to repaint to MG and buy all the pieces needed to attach it to the car.

Sport package here too - I really think the 320 with navigation and sport package is one of the best deals! I think the xDrive AND RWD sport package rims look great! Somewhere in there they even bundled in ambient lighting for the exterior door handles and several places in the interior! My only wish would have been to find one with no moonroof.
+1. Looks like the 320i sport wheels are coming in as the light weight performance option on the new ZHP and 340i.

I just wish We could get msport bumpers in America.

What exactly did you need for your 320 to get the Msport front bumper? I'm really contemplating this swap even though it's a lease. I'll just keep my old bumper and swap it back on.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
qwik320
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
+1. Looks like the 320i sport wheels are coming in as the light weight performance option on the new ZHP and 340i.

What exactly did you need for your 320 to get the Msport front bumper? I'm really contemplating this swap even though it's a lease. I'll just keep my old bumper and swap it back on.
I found this link for an ebay post. Has M front clip, side rockers, and M bumper.. only thing I wish it had was a rear diffuser with cutouts for dual exhaust. Might be too good to be true.. Im assuming you have to run it through a paint shop and but fittings to attach it. And not sure on the front HeadLamps either.. I know the M front is different in that they extend to the front Grille.. where as Mine do not. May have to replace head lamps too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-15-BMW-3-...25.m3641.l6368
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #12
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post

Lease here too, although I'm seriously considering buying out at the end of it. I enjoy the car that much. It's great to toss into corners in the hills on weekends, and easily a 30-35+ mpg car on weekdays during my 70-80 mile a day commute. Pretty roomy interior and trunk too.

I know I can get a much better deal just turning the car in and looking for a comparable CPO, but there's the whole one owner thing and the fact that it's pretty much configured exactly as I want it. (Only change would be to retrofit to the projector HID lights with halos if I were to keep it).

I kept the old bumper, it's taking up space in my garage. If I turn the car back in and they notice the bumper I'll swap it back on before the turn in date. I'll take a look at my invoice from the swap if I can find it and look up all the parts. It's been detailed on this forum though which is where I pulled up all the parts I needed.
Appreciate 0