F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mod Friendly
Extreme Powerhouse

07-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Mod Friendly

Ok, so I've been driving a bimmer for the last 5 years. It's been a wonderful experience - especially when I can code a car or add aftermarket performance that doesn't blow the car up... but now that I have a newer car (2013) that has a full warranty and is a CPO - I've noticed that I'm a bit reluctant to install any aftermarket stuff... example - I want to get the BMW tuner (stage 1), but I read post about cars having problems and warranty being voided because the dealer uploaded data to BMW NA and they said it was tampered with... so that lead me to wonder... why do we not have a sticky section of BMW MOD friendly dealers and people who work there? I'm sure there are a lot of guys on this forum that are BMW mechanics, sales, managers, etc - that work for great dealerships. I personally live in Atlanta, but I'm not sure if my dealers (United Roswell / United Gwinnett) are mod friendly? Wouldn't it be great to have contacts at your local dealer that you trust with your car and that you trust will not rat you out on a mod - but keep you in line making sure the car isn't being abused... so that if it was, they could warn you of the limits you shouldn't go? Anyway, it's a thought and just wondering if anybody has tried to do this? Is it feasible? Or should people like me just stay away from mod's? (I am coming from a 2008 335 that had a COBB tuner and that thing was FAST.... now I'm in a 4cyl that I know has more power than what it's giving me... and I hear great things about BMS - and Dinan doesn't seem to care much about getting a tune out for the N20's... maybe because it will cost a friggen arm and a leg?). Thanks for looking...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Great idea but im not sure how BMWNA would handle that.
I would not think they would not be happy with one of their dealership turning a blind eye to aftermarket mods when BMW are trying to sell their own Performance Packages.

Phone number 702-494-9435

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 07-17-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

I would try to establish a relationship with your local SA. Sometimes if the SA is a enthusiast, he can help find the right tech that will be willing to work on your car and not just prone to think that your electronics don't work because you tuned your car.

In any case if a dealership tries to deny you a warranty claim, it is on them to prove that your mods or what you did caused the failure.
      07-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

^^ best bet.

G/L OP
      07-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Making a list on here is a horrible idea. We all know BMW dealers and likely employees at BMWNA read these forums. Calling out a dealer by name has the potential to get them in trouble if they are not following BMW policy in regards to mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Making a list on here is a horrible idea. We all know BMW dealers and likely employees at BMWNA read these forums. Calling out a dealer by name has the potential to get them in trouble if they are not following BMW policy in regards to mods.
Has nothing to to with BMW's "policy in regards to mods" as the policy is no different than Chevy and Nissan in my examples above (or any make). All manufacturer's policies when it comes to mods and warranties are the same. It just depends on who you're dealing with and how they've catered their business for their demographic. No one at these dealerships is breaking any rules, so they have nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
It's demographics along with the nature of the cars themselves. As much as people on forums want to believe they're representative of a bigger piece of BMW owners...they're not. The number of people who mod these cars is relatively very low to other models with an enthusiast base. I see upwards of 50 F30s a day...they're driven by people who won't know what "F30" means. They're also prone to many issues even bone stock, so a "mod-friendly" dealership will just be under a shitstorm from BMW.

Contrary to this, the service departments for both the Chevy and Nissan dealerships where I take the Z06 and GTR are run by guys who have fully built and race their own cars, have a very strong online/community presence, and really, really know what they're doing. People from hundreds of miles away chose these dealerships because of that. Luckily for me, this Nissan dealer is local but this Chevy dealer is about 85 miles away. They don't bat an eyelash at servicing or performing routine warranty work on cars with built engines, not to mention installing any part you can imagine. But here, it boils down to demographics. The relative percentage of Z06 or GTR owners who mod their cars is relatively very high compared to anything else.
+1
      07-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Ok, so I've been driving a bimmer for the last 5 years. It's been a wonderful experience - especially when I can code a car or add aftermarket performance that doesn't blow the car up... but now that I have a newer car (2013) that has a full warranty and is a CPO - I've noticed that I'm a bit reluctant to install any aftermarket stuff... example - I want to get the BMW tuner (stage 1), but I read post about cars having problems and warranty being voided because the dealer uploaded data to BMW NA and they said it was tampered with... so that lead me to wonder... why do we not have a sticky section of BMW MOD friendly dealers and people who work there? I'm sure there are a lot of guys on this forum that are BMW mechanics, sales, managers, etc - that work for great dealerships. I personally live in Atlanta, but I'm not sure if my dealers (United Roswell / United Gwinnett) are mod friendly? Wouldn't it be great to have contacts at your local dealer that you trust with your car and that you trust will not rat you out on a mod - but keep you in line making sure the car isn't being abused... so that if it was, they could warn you of the limits you shouldn't go? Anyway, it's a thought and just wondering if anybody has tried to do this? Is it feasible? Or should people like me just stay away from mod's? (I am coming from a 2008 335 that had a COBB tuner and that thing was FAST.... now I'm in a 4cyl that I know has more power than what it's giving me... and I hear great things about BMS - and Dinan doesn't seem to care much about getting a tune out for the N20's... maybe because it will cost a friggen arm and a leg?). Thanks for looking...
I won't get into my issues with Gwinnett BMW. My only bad experience purchasing a car was from them and I have owned many new cars in my life.

I purchased my current 328 from Global. Very mod friendly SA. I bring my car in as is without any concerns. My SA even has a special tech assigned to my car that always works on my car and has that experience. If you want the info send me a pm.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
I would try to establish a relationship with your local SA. Sometimes if the SA is a enthusiast, he can help find the right tech that will be willing to work on your car and not just prone to think that your electronics don't work because you tuned your car.
+1 on that.

When I bought my F30, my SA was first teasing my usual salesman (since I didn't bought it from him), then told me when are you going to install the JB4, it really brings the car to life.

Didn't install it on the 1st 335i for the same reason mentioned (warranty and CPO).

He told me that if I decide to install it, I shouldn't bother removing it for service, they're used to this mod.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)

Last edited by 335i_4D; 07-21-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All,

First off - Thank you very much for your time in replying. After reading the first post and seeing everybody's comments - it's understandable why we really do not have this list. It is however nice to see that some of you do have very good SA's and Tech's to where you can worry less. For me - I purchase BMW because the car has a lot of capabilities that most cars typically do not have. I can code the car to do things that make me happier (yet do not break the car). I can tune the car to get additional hp that makes me a happier BMW owner. In the old days, owning a BMW was status... it was great... now you see everybody has a BMW - and what sets you apart from the rest of the mass produced cars? So I tune, I add new stuff, and I try not to over do it... but at the same time, some post here scare the hell out of me because I'm driving a 56k 4 Cyl car and I just want a little more juice out of it... and don't want some tech that is having a bad day to screw me over and mark in the system that I have a tune... anyway, all the advice here is great and much appreciated... I just need to get my tune, enjoy life, and I guess hope for the best... Hopefully the BMS tune is easy to install...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Look for dealers that sell Dinan or other aftermarket products, make friends with the SA and see what advice they give.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

As I was saying about the GTR community/dealers...this was put on by my local dealership today. 60 or so cars, 10 of which make over 1000 HP, endless food, prize raffles, etc. All courtesy of the service department.

Last edited by FC4; 03-25-2017 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
As I was saying about the GTR community/dealers...this was put on by my local dealership today. 60 or so cars, 10 of which make over 1000 HP, endless food, prize raffles, etc. All courtesy of the service department.
That is a sweet looking ride... I never really looked into that model... how is the engine, hp, and interior?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...how is the engine...
Excellent.

Quote:
...hp...
545 from the factory. Can be modified to 2000+.

Quote:
...interior?
Layout, style, and ergonomics are all great.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Jweeziefosheezy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Does he still work there

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline View Post
I won't get into my issues with Gwinnett BMW. My only bad experience purchasing a car was from them and I have owned many new cars in my life.

I purchased my current 328 from Global. Very mod friendly SA. I bring my car in as is without any concerns. My SA even has a special tech assigned to my car that always works on my car and has that experience. If you want the info send me a pm.

Looking to see if you still have the inside lone on a mod friendly SA so I don't have to strip my car
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Just remove the stage 1 before the visit. It takes like 5 minutes. The pain in the ass is when you have to remove the jb4, intake, and downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Great idea but im not sure how BMWNA would handle that.
I would not think they would not be happy with one of their dealership turning a blind eye to aftermarket mods when BMW are trying to sell their own Performance Packages.

Yeah..I have little doubt that a quick google search by BMWNA could find this list and put a bullseye on quite a number of people/places/cars...
      07-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Yeah..I have little doubt that a quick google search by BMWNA could find this list and put a bullseye on quite a number of people/places/cars...
Well, first, they would have to compile and track user names to cars. Maybe if they partnered with the NSA....

Second, these types of lists are NOT new, every VW and Audi forum I have ever been on has such lists, in one form or another.

I think your fears are over blown there.

At best they could contact the dealership and ask some questions, but without specific work orders and car to reference.........and again, dealers are doing nothing wrong. We're not talking about blowing your turbo and getting warranty coverage when you're tuned. Mod friendly means a dealership I can put an exhaust, intake and tune on and NOT get hassled for warranty coverage when my wheel bearing goes out, or my water pump starts leaking.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I'm just saying they could watch the warranty work more closely if they know which proclaim themselves to be mod friendly. Given the fact that they watch the 'flash' count on the OBDII port, I think some concern is warranted.....