F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Key not detected
proTUNING Freaks

07-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
That's true, it should pop the trunk automatically if it detects the key in there, it doesn't.
CA does that, but standard access doesn't. I had the Nissan equivalent of CA in my last car, and it wouldn't let you close the trunk with the key inside. I tried to often enough that it was a concern at first with the BMW, but the reason I did it was always that I had the key in my golf bag, didn't bother to take it out of the bag to open the trunk, then tossed the bag into the trunk with the key still in the bag. With the BMW standard access I've become so used to pushing the button on the fob to open the car that I've never forgotten to take the key out of my golf bag, and I immediately open the car doors before opening the trunk, lest I have a brain fart and somehow toss the fob into the trunk instead of my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Update: I was mistaken earlier, my trunk latch doesn't open when I'm close to the car with the fob, I have to unlock the car first, so the trunk works just like the doors. The un-locking mechanism doesn't work via proximity, only via pushing the fob button. That's why it will let you lock the key in the trunk, and likely in the car up front, because the car doesn't detect the key. With Comfort Access the car is constantly scanning for the key, so it knows when it's in the trunk. That's probably how thieves are using RFI scanners to steal cars, because that signal is always there to be received by a scanner.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:55 AM   #25
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

I know I'm super late with this, but I was cleaning out my garage today and found my aftermarket brighter LED puddle lights I had in my doors before I changed them out to the (not OEM) BMW emblem projector lights. Well I put them back in and VOILA! Comfort access and PSS work perfectly now lol. Been dealing with this shit for almost 2 years now ?

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:28 AM   #26
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
I know I'm super late with this, but I was cleaning out my garage today and found my aftermarket brighter LED puddle lights I had in my doors before I changed them out to the BMW emblem projector lights. Well I put them back in and VOILA! Comfort access and PSS work perfectly now lol. Been dealing with this shit for almost 2 years now ?
Why would after market led puddle lights solve the problem and oem lights be the cause? Makes no sense. :
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:32 AM   #27
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know I'm super late with this, but I was cleaning out my garage today and found my aftermarket brighter LED puddle lights I had in my doors before I changed them out to the BMW emblem projector lights. Well I put them back in and VOILA! Comfort access and PSS work perfectly now lol. Been dealing with this shit for almost 2 years now ?
Why would after market led puddle lights solve the problem and oem lights be the cause? Makes no sense. :
They weren't the OEM, it was the cheap aftermarket ones that project the BMW emblem on the ground that only two wires. My OEM and aftermarket bright LED puddle lights work fine though, and they use the OEM plug.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #28
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M sport

Quote:
They weren't the OEM, it was the cheap aftermarket ones that project the BMW emblem on the ground that only two wires. My OEM and aftermarket bright LED puddle lights work fine though, and they use the OEM plug.

I've been having exact issue where the key not detected has popped up several times and i have to hold they key to the steering column to start the car. Now that i think of it, it has also been happening ever since i got my Ebay BMW LOGO door lights for like $5
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 02:33 AM   #29
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenkid22 View Post
Quote:

I've been having exact issue where the key not detected has popped up several times and i have to hold they key to the steering column to start the car. Now that i think of it, it has also been happening ever since i got my Ebay BMW LOGO door lights for like $5
Yea toss em dude. I paid like $25 for mine but it's not worth the hassle/embarrassment. I'd much rather have my comfort access work 100% of the time than 15% of the time.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #30
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M sport

Quote:
Yea toss em dude. I paid like $25 for mine but it's not worth the hassle/embarrassment. I'd much rather have my comfort access work 100% of the time than 15% of the time.

Mine has gotten better over the last few days with the ebay Door logos still in there

Is there any explanation of why this even happens? Projectors messing with the frequency?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #31
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If it's in the trunk it won't detect it with standard access, allowing you to lock the fob in the trunk and not being able to get into the car. That's really odd, since I can unlock it from a range of at least 200 feet, and if I have the fob in my pocket I can open the trunk by touching the lid handle switch even if the doors are locked. The system does have its quirks.
I have been chasing this exact problem since I got my car about a year ago. To make it even more interesting, I see more issues on the drivers side than if I walk up on the passenger side.

I have had my dealership look into it a bunch of times, replaced the batteries in both remotes several times, and even the dealership did so as well.

Latest theory is that the sensor in the drivers door is banged up somehow. The dealership spent some quality time with my car just before warranty expired, and this is one of the issues I insisted needed to be fixed prior to expiration. What they found, and I believe them, is that they believe the sensor is partially damaged somehow. In my case, (I am the 2nd owner) the first owner clearly did a bunch of audio changes (subs are woah strong, big amp in the trunk, and I am GUESSING they changed all the door speakers) and they say the sensor looks physically dinged up in the door. That someone did "aftermarket" changes and wires in the door for the speakers and looks like they hit the sensor or something.

Of ALL the things I have done now to my car, I haven't taken the door cards off yet to see what they did (and inspect the speakers etc) but will be doing so soon. I bought a new sensor as well, to swap it out when I get there to see if it fixes the issue. The sensor was like.. $60 I think, and is about the size of small pack of gum.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #32
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I know I'm super late with this, but I was cleaning out my garage today and found my aftermarket brighter LED puddle lights I had in my doors before I changed them out to the (not OEM) BMW emblem projector lights. Well I put them back in and VOILA! Comfort access and PSS work perfectly now lol. Been dealing with this shit for almost 2 years now ?
I'm actually going to give this a shot. Fingers crossed!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #33
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Update: I removed the projector lights and everything is working as it should now

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #34
drewkelly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive, 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
Update: I removed the projector lights and everything is working as it should now
Quote:
I'm having the EXACT same problem! Just installed LED logo lights and I'm getting "Key Not Detected" errors.

Has anyone tried using ferrite beads to filter out interference from the new LED lights?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #35
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkelly View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm having the EXACT same problem! Just installed LED logo lights and I'm getting "Key Not Detected" errors.

Has anyone tried using ferrite beads to filter out interference from the new LED lights?
Nope, just take it out it's garbage

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #36
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkelly View Post
I have logo lights and no problems. I can't think of why this would happen, it's not like LEDs are RFI sources. But the lights I got are these, which are more expensive than most, and have an aluminum body, which might shield any RFI that they create.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still, the original BMW puddle lamps are all plastic. Very odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #37
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

I have the same problem where the key fob is not detected when starting the car. I don't have any lighting mods nor do I have comfort access. It sometimes doesn't lock/unlock the doors straight away and I have put a brand new battery in. Sometimes when I hold it up to the steering column it takes 5-10 presses to get it started. Any ideas what to try?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #38
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
I have the same problem where the key fob is not detected when starting the car. I don't have any lighting mods nor do I have comfort access. It sometimes doesn't lock/unlock the doors straight away and I have put a brand new battery in. Sometimes when I hold it up to the steering column it takes 5-10 presses to get it started. Any ideas what to try?
Bring it to the dealer is it under warranty? They key fob battery is covered under maintenance so they can swap a new one for you fur free to see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #39
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Quote:
Bring it to the dealer is it under warranty? They key fob battery is covered under maintenance so they can swap a new one for you fur free to see if that works.
It is yeah I'll need to get it booked in only problem is there seems to be a 200 week waiting list
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #40
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is yeah I'll need to get it booked in only problem is there seems to be a 200 week waiting list
Maybe try a different dealer. Not sure how it works in the U.K. though.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #41
cybertom777
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Key error messages Key not present

Thanks to this forum.... I kept getting Key not present error message when i closed my doors. It was intermittent and I had no idea how or why this starting happening. After reading the posts here.... i realised it was approximately when when i fitted the cheap BMW logo lights from ebay. It didn't happen initially but gradually the error msgs kept coming. I Replaced them with the original BMW lights this morning and hey presto...No error codes when i close the doors. Thanks peeps.....
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #42
mikesx4911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I have been having this issue and also have the projector lights. Did anyone just try coding this out? This seems like a very stupid issue to have for just some door lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #43
AZ-M007
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Key Fob is not working in BMW F30, 2014 335xi.

I have same issue, messages are coming that my key fob is not detected, I changed my key fob battery but no luck, Just wanna mention that I have updated my projector lights. last night my car was not starting and the temperature was zero degree. and it was messaging that key fob not detected until I take out my key from pocket and put close to push button. Its seems stupid but lets change the projector lights and see if it work.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #44
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Since I got my F30 I've been using the one key. I recently took out the second key which looks brand new (normal once is battered and bruised) and it will lock/unlock the car but when I get in to start it, the message "key not detected" comes up. I then put it up to the side of the steering column and it says "key detected, ok to start engine". If I turn off the engine, it won't start up again without going through the same steps.

I don't have this issue with the other key which always remains in my pocket after I unlock the car (no comfort access) or anything like it. I have no mods at all, let alone with regard to lights etc. The battery in the key is brand new too.

Hoping someone can help with this.
Appreciate 0