F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CIC/NBT/Update confusion...
Studio RSR

12-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
CIC/NBT/Update confusion...

Right so apologies for another new thread but after ready g threads about NBT and CIC and software updates and map updates I thought I cant be the only one confused...

So trying to clear up different versions of nav in the iDrive to make it simple... Ish

And gain info from you experts on here on it all;

So mine (attached) is CIC (I think) not NBT, and as far as I am aware you can't 'upgrade' from CIC to NBT as its completely different hardware?

Also what is the actual difference for the end user?

Does that make sense?

Anyone else care to share pictures of their iDrive nav system to clarify further?

Thanks

Last edited by Sladester100; 12-16-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Stupid picture...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

All maps called PREMIUM are for the CIC ProNav. The NBT maps are called NEXT (see image).

The hardware differences are bigger internal hdd (not by much), faster cpu and graphics by nvidia, built-in combox and some new functionality like eyes free (siri integration). Also the interface has had a minor refresh.

You can retrofit the NBT, but from I can see it's not worth the hassle i.e. Your not getting a massive amount for the work involved. Your biggest challenge would be routing the cables from the combox back to the NBT, since it has the combox built-in. I've read that some of the radio connections are spliced together on the CIC (could be wrong). Having said that you can overcome a lot of it by using external components. Also the iDrive screen could be reused.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1