F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Dashcam Installation
ARMA SPEED

05-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

Dashcam Installation

Hey all.

I was looking to invest in a blackvue dual channel dash/rear cam for my F31 and had a couple of questions I hope the locals here can answer.

1. Is it easy to install myself? I'm happy to pay for a professional install, but have always been concerned that the installers won't take the due care with the trims etc.
2. I assume they will need to run a fresh circuit from the fusebox to hard wire especially with the battery detection circuit thing which keeps the cameras running after the car is off. Again, back to Q1, is this easy to do?
3. Does anyone here with an F31 (or any hatch style car) have a rear camera, and how does cabling work there?

Finally, does anyone know of any good recommended installers in Brisbane? Happy to pay and happy for it not necessarily be a shop.

Thanks a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Feng,

I installed a dual channel BlackView in my F30 335i and it is pretty simple to do. If you are even moderately careful, you will not damage your trim at all, and the wiring is easily removed at a later date.

The degree of difficulty depends on if you want to run the cameras when parked. To do this you will have to wire the cameras to the battery and to the fuse box in the rear of the car. It involves only one extra wire to the fuse box.

I have posted a video a year or more ago after installation.
I also have a few photos of the wiring installation in the boot that I have put into a PDF. I will need to send this file to your personal email address as this site will not accept such a large file.

Let me know if this will help you.
      05-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the reply Steve. It was actually your thread that got me interested in the BlackVue cameras to start with.

I dug out your thread again as well as had a look around on YouTube and it does look fairly straightforward.

My main areas of concern:

1. F31 Boot - Is there any way to run the cables in the shroud so I don't need to leave a loop of cable to allow the boot to open.
2. Battery/Fusebox mounting: Does the cigarette lighter fuse you use stay on the full time? I thought they have a time out? One of the guys on YouTube (Alex from Blackbox or something) mentioned that he connects to the light fuse? Also, how did you connect to the fuse/battery? Can you help shed a little more info on that via photos (if it's not too much trouble).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
motlking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey feng,

check this out:

I did this on my current car. It is very easy. Just watch a few vids from the channel above and you will see just how easy it is.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks Motlking.

Since posting, I've had a real good look on YouTube, and am pretty confident I can do it myself.

So I think I am going to order and get wiring.

My only concern is the tailgate still trying to identify options for that.

Did you guys buy in AU, or order from Amazon or similar? I have a US source so have any suppliers available. It's almost $100 AUD cheaper in the US which is frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

in other news, I found this VW Golf R thread.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/82...e-dr650gw-2ch/

He pulls apart his trimming on his rear tailgate so I might investigate this.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
reu2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i xDrive Shadowlin

Garage List
2024 X7 M60i  [0.00]
2021 540xi  [0.00]
Make sure you get a Battery Discharge device that is an "Uninterruptible power source". The auto start/stop function can mess with your camera otherwise. I think (and use) the MotoPark Multi Safer, also the same device in the above video. The Blackvue kit will often ship with a Power Magic model, but many BMW F## owners have been very unsatisfied with that model.

As for the hatch, the kit ships with some cable management clips. You basically run the wire out of the trim just above where you're mounting the rear camera using a clip to hold it in place. Then, using another clip on the hatch, clip in the wire leaving just enough wire to allow the tail gate to fully open. You'll have a little loop of wire when the tailgate is closed, and the clips will keep everything in place.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Feng,

I can't help you with the tailgate wiring issue as I have installed my cameras in a sedan. I'm sure you'll work out a neat way to do it.

I have used a Magic Pro with my BlackVue. The system has been installed for more than a year now and I haven't had any problems with the cameras while driving or while parked.

I have used Fuse 162 and it works just fine - no problems to-date. All I did with this is extend the red wire from the Magic Pro, pull the fuse, and wrap the wire around one post. Then re-insert the fuse (its a bit of a tight fit). You can get special fuse connectors/adapters, but I didn't bother. It works fine as is.

The Magic Pro allows you to run the cameras while parked for variable times from 6 hours to infinity. I leave my car parked in the garage while I'm overseas for a month or more at a time and the battery has always been strong enough to start the car when I return to Oz. That is, the Magic Pro works well enough to shut off the power to the cameras when left for an extended period. The only thing that occurs after such a time period is that it takes a while for the battery to fully charge before allowing the Stop/Start to work.

I've attached a PDF file that can walk you through the wiring. I'm assuming the F30 Wagon is similar to the F30 Sedan.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BlackVue and Magic Pro Wiring Installation on F30.pdf (3.87 MB, 2333 views)
      05-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reu2 View Post
Make sure you get a Battery Discharge device that is an "Uninterruptible power source". The auto start/stop function can mess with your camera otherwise. I think (and use) the MotoPark Multi Safer, also the same device in the above video. The Blackvue kit will often ship with a Power Magic model, but many BMW F## owners have been very unsatisfied with that model.

As for the hatch, the kit ships with some cable management clips. You basically run the wire out of the trim just above where you're mounting the rear camera using a clip to hold it in place. Then, using another clip on the hatch, clip in the wire leaving just enough wire to allow the tail gate to fully open. You'll have a little loop of wire when the tailgate is closed, and the clips will keep everything in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Feng,

I can't help you with the tailgate wiring issue as I have installed my cameras in a sedan. I'm sure you'll work out a neat way to do it.

I have used a Magic Pro with my BlackVue. The system has been installed for more than a year now and I haven't had any problems with the cameras while driving or while parked.

I have used Fuse 162 and it works just fine - no problems to-date. All I did with this is extend the red wire from the Magic Pro, pull the fuse, and wrap the wire around one post. Then re-insert the fuse (its a bit of a tight fit). You can get special fuse connectors/adapters, but I didn't bother. It works fine as is.

The Magic Pro allows you to run the cameras while parked for variable times from 6 hours to infinity. I leave my car parked in the garage while I'm overseas for a month or more at a time and the battery has always been strong enough to start the car when I return to Oz. That is, the Magic Pro works well enough to shut off the power to the cameras when left for an extended period. The only thing that occurs after such a time period is that it takes a while for the battery to fully charge before allowing the Stop/Start to work.

I've attached a PDF file that can walk you through the wiring. I'm assuming the F30 Wagon is similar to the F30 Sedan.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Steve
Thanks for the replies guys.

I need to figure out what 'UPS' i get. I've read good things about the Power Magic, but then in the latest video by Alex (BlackBoxMyCar) he comments about a different one.

Regarding the rear, I'm still thinking I might get an exploded view of my rear tail gate so I can try and run it through the rubber so i can hide my cables more than having the slack in the cable. Not a fan of having excess cable if i can help it
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Update on this... I think I'm stuck as to putting the camera on the glass if I want to hide the cables. The only way i can get it through the rubber is if I can take the roof lining off, and even then it'll be a mission to get it on to the glass.

Do you guys know if the 3M adhesive will hold on the textured plastic? That may even be a better place to mount it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feng View Post
He pulls apart his trimming on his rear tailgate so I might investigate this.
I'm considering mounting it on the roof not the tailgate - need to check camera angles...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I'm considering mounting it on the roof not the tailgate - need to check camera angles...
where abouts on the roof lining would you mount it though? It's furry.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #13
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328I M-SPORT

Hi,
Got the Blackvue 650 2ch from Autoone for $399 also go buy a fuse tap from jaycar so

you dont have to wrap the wire around the fuse causing a tight fit it helps.

Im in Korea with the wife to see family and friends. Going to a blackbox stores fitters

telling me Blackvue is the least popular here because of to many software problems

and other things MANDO is a good Blackbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
desastar
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hi I'm a newbie in Perth. I wish I had the skills to do these things. Is there an installer someone can recommend in Perth? I need to also retrofit a reverse camera.
Sorry to jump in like this :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desastar View Post
Hi I'm a newbie in Perth. I wish I had the skills to do these things. Is there an installer someone can recommend in Perth? I need to also retrofit a reverse camera.
Hi,
As your in beautiful Perth call 62675167 www.autoblackbox.com.au they are located in Osbourne Prk they can help you as i call them from Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #16
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feng View Post
where abouts on the roof lining would you mount it though? It's furry.
Place it on the back window
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAV-F30 View Post
Place it on the back window
log cable run to account for rear tailgate which is what I'm trying to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #18
desastar
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Gav-F30, thanks for that!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #19
silencer2008
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by desastar View Post
I got my dashcam installed by the auto electrician recommended by Radars Direct. Been 5 months now, wired straight to battery with no issues.
      05-18-2015, 05:30 AM   #20
Ian_F30
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I didn't bother with a direct to battery connection. I hid my wires and ran the power to socket under the glove-box. Easy
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:48 AM   #21
Mecanix957
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW335i

Hello.

I haven recently purchased a blackvue 6502ch dash cam unit, and had it installed by an auto electrician. I didn't want wires or cables in the cabin for little hands to play with or get tangled in.

It works fine, but the auto elec, did decide for some reason to install the front camera unit on the right hand side of the rear vision mirror... Meaning the lens is hard up on the right side of the mirror.

And the result is that the left side of the recorded vision, is cut off by the mirror, giving ~40 % reduction in the overall coverage, on the left hand front side of the view, but a blacked out view...not satisfactory at all, but not the end of the world either
They will rectify it on Friday this week for me.

My comment or question is... Does anyone have any suggestion as to where the optimal position is on the windscreen for the front camera unit, given the front rear vision mirror has rain sensor etc.

If I put the camera below the rear vision mirror's sensor coverage area ...it will end up being virtually sitting in the middle of the glass , to avoid blocking the sensors, and won't be up high .. Or out of sight so to speak.
It's not an option.
Any suggestions, advice as to a better working location?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #22
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Directly below the connected drive thing was where I was going to mount mine. I feel it won't obstruct the ambient light sensor which controls the anti-dazzle. I prefer the camera lens centralised. Rain sensor is up the top where the connected drive thing is afaik.
Appreciate 0