F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > AC smells so bad!!!!
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

AC smells so bad!!!!

Anybody - Guys, Girls, whoever - Does anybody have the experience where your AC smells like stinky feet or stinky cheese? I'm embarrassed to say, but even more embarrassed to let anybody get in my car because of the smell. BMW dealer says its a known issue with all BMW's, and not under warranty - I just cannot imagine BMW would say screw everybody that has a smelly car because of our AC? If somebody has had this, or can offer suggestions, please let me know what to do? I sucks that the dealer won't do anything under warranty. I've had bimmers before and did not have this problem, and I've driven the loaners for weeks and never had the problem... so them telling me it's common is BS - are there any ATL after market guys here with shops that could do anything? (pref. in the Gwinnett area). This is just driving me nuts... even air fresher only last maybe a day after circulating through the car... Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Anybody - Guys, Girls, whoever - Does anybody have the experience where your AC smells like stinky feet or stinky cheese? I'm embarrassed to say, but even more embarrassed to let anybody get in my car because of the smell. BMW dealer says its a known issue with all BMW's, and not under warranty - I just cannot imagine BMW would say screw everybody that has a smelly car because of our AC? If somebody has had this, or can offer suggestions, please let me know what to do? I sucks that the dealer won't do anything under warranty. I've had bimmers before and did not have this problem, and I've driven the loaners for weeks and never had the problem... so them telling me it's common is BS - are there any ATL after market guys here with shops that could do anything? (pref. in the Gwinnett area). This is just driving me nuts... even air fresher only last maybe a day after circulating through the car... Thanks in advance...

Had this issue on my old car. It should me mildew built up from the AC system. Theres a spray you can purchase, run it through your ventilation system and it should eliminate the mildew.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTea69 View Post
Had this issue on my old car. It should me mildew built up from the AC system. Theres a spray you can purchase, run it through your ventilation system and it should eliminate the mildew.
Do you remember the name? I bought some can of freshener that was like a bug bomb - left the car running for about 30 min- and it lasted maybe a day before the funk came back...

want to go pick up some BMW exec's and ask them if they want to smell that all the time... I bet they modified the car afterwards to fix the issue - and they don't want to address the issues in the model I have...

ugh... anyway - if you remember the name, I'll buy it... I've tried Lysol but that just burns my eyes and throat :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Never cheese lol but my E90 AC smelled dull for a bit. I put some kind of bomb in it that completely gassed the inside (white-ish smoke) with the AC on full power and then let that run for I think 15 or 20 minutes.. then take it out and let it run some more to vent. It never smelled again after that and I'm talking years here.. I got it from my local detailer guy that also did emergency interior cleaning (like vomit etc) so might want to ask around! Wasn't just a regular freshener definitely not friendly to the lungs.. Never heard of this being a BMW problem before... If it persist after that something may have died in there
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
I think the product you are looking for is called odor bomb.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
jmordoj
Chile
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

You can try Meguiar's Whole Car Air Refresher Odor Eliminator

I friend of mine tried it and works really well

Also, you could rent an ozone machine, that will take care of ANYTHING
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Probably the Meguiers spray--run it in the car for 15 minutes. Works well for about two weeks. Best thing I have done is to leave the settings on Auto. This way the AC is always running even if you have the temp up a little. Helps to dry it out too.
      11-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I had the same issue. The micro cabin air filter had mold on it. The dealer replaced it but it still smelled. I even tried spraying the new filter with Lysol but it didn't work. I took the cover off the blower motor and lightly sprayed it with Lysol. Then I ran the AC for a few minutes. No more stinky feet smell. It's been over a month and still no smell.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven_01 View Post
I had the same issue. The micro cabin air filter had mold on it. The dealer replaced it but it still smelled. I even tried spraying the new filter with Lysol but it didn't work. I took the cover off the blower motor and lightly sprayed it with Lysol. Then I ran the AC for a few minutes. No more stinky feet smell. It's been over a month and still no smell.
How did you get to the blower motor? I've tried spraying Lysol in the outside window area, but it didn't do any good... do you have any directions?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmordoj View Post
You can try Meguiar's Whole Car Air Refresher Odor Eliminator

I friend of mine tried it and works really well

Also, you could rent an ozone machine, that will take care of ANYTHING
oh yeah, I've tried this - matter of fact, the last bimmer I had, it worked great. Lasted for a while. But this one - no go - lasted for about a day, then you had the funk smell mixed with new car scent :-(

that is the thing - it's like when you go to the dealer, they are aware of the issue. I've asked a few techs to see if there were any technotes so I could get it covered - but nobody knows anything. I've tried to get the SA to call BMW and see if they will cover it - and he said that he has tried for so many other customers, and they always say no. that it's the drivers fault for leaving the recirculate on when they get home. Well sorry, I expect the shit to work and not stink when I pay 50 grand for a car...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Probably the Meguiers spray--run it in the car for 15 minutes. Works well for about two weeks. Best thing I have done is to leave the settings on Auto. This way the AC is always running even if you have the temp up a little. Helps to dry it out too.
yeah tried it - and yeah I leave mine on Auto 100% - but I use the manual recirculate - because the "auto recirculate" doesn't really work... it should close off the outside when it "detects" smelly air... but man I live in Atlanta - downtown, and near the airport - you smell exhaust - and even now we have smoke from the wildfires burning - I've tried to use that setting to see how well it works - but it always lets in the outside air regardless of the smell. Or maybe it's me being sensitive? who knows... took me a year to figure out the setting for that anyway - the sales guy at the bimmer place didn't even know - and his manager didn't know. had to get the manual out when I got curious and start reading. anyway, I wish they made that stuff with Lysol or something - would probably do the trick...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
I think the product you are looking for is called odor bomb.
saw that on Amazon the other day - like the stuff posted after you in the can that you detonate in the car... I tried the stuff below your post - maybe I'll try this one... can't hurt...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven_01 View Post
How did you get to the blower motor? I've tried spraying Lysol in the outside window area, but it didn't do any good... do you have any directions?
I don't have a write up but here's the link on how to get to it:
https://bmwvirtuoso.blogspot.com/201...noise.html?m=1

This is where the fresh air is sucked it from the outside. Make sure your recirculate is set to off or the flap will close not letting in fresh air.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

It's not a warranty issue for sure. I'm surprised Global or United no longer offers the service to disinfect the AC. Living in the area myself I've avoided the problem by leaving the system in Auto and somewhere between 70-74 degrees.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
It's not a warranty issue for sure. I'm surprised Global or United no longer offers the service to disinfect the AC. Living in the area myself I've avoided the problem by leaving the system in Auto and somewhere between 70-74 degrees.
well, this is how they approach this... "to be honest, this is a problem with all bmw's. BMW won't touch it, and we can do a service on the car, but it will cost you about $380 and you will need to leave the car. But to be honest, it will only last about 3 months and the smell will return".

So I always just leave because dropping 380 ever 3 months just to make the car smell like it should doesn't sound right. What kills me is I've had Audi, Honda, Nissan, Fords, and non of them have ever had this problem. So I guess it's a matter of me not really understanding why?

I'm going to try what was suggested above tomorrow - take off the fresh air intake cover, see if I can get to the blower, and spray Lysol in there and let it run. If BMW made it easy to access - I probably wouldn't complain as much - but nothing is easy...

so you say you leave yours on auto - does it work for you? any smells come in from exhaust on the road? that is really why I use manual...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl
Quote:
well, this is how they approach this... "to be honest, this is a problem with all bmw's. BMW won't touch it, and we can do a service on the car, but it will cost you about $380 and you will need to leave the car. But to be honest, it will only last about 3 months and the smell will return".

So I always just leave because dropping 380 ever 3 months just to make the car smell like it should doesn't sound right. What kills me is I've had Audi, Honda, Nissan, Fords, and non of them have ever had this problem. So I guess it's a matter of me not really understanding why?

I'm going to try what was suggested above tomorrow - take off the fresh air intake cover, see if I can get to the blower, and spray Lysol in there and let it run. If BMW made it easy to access - I probably wouldn't complain as much - but nothing is easy...

so you say you leave yours on auto - does it work for you? any smells come in from exhaust on the road? that is really why I use manual...
It's not a problem reserved for BMW. From my own experience Benz and VW also have the same issue.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #17
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

BG has several products to help this, as does Einszett:
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/climate-control/
http://www.autogeek.net/auto-air-fresheners.html
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not a problem reserved for BMW. From my own experience Benz and VW also have the same issue.
That is interesting. Wonder if it's a German design that they don't take into account the humidity and such over here? in any event - I did the Lysol treatment yesterday, but didn't account for the extremely strong smell that continues to linger and burn your eyes and throat :-(

anyway, thanks for the reply - it's good to know that it's not just BMW...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try and see how they work.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #20
Craven_01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is interesting. Wonder if it's a German design that they don't take into account the humidity and such over here? in any event - I did the Lysol treatment yesterday, but didn't account for the extremely strong smell that continues to linger and burn your eyes and throat :-(

anyway, thanks for the reply - it's good to know that it's not just BMW...
The Lysol smell should disappear in a day or so. Hopefully stinky smell doesnt not come back. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0