F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension: knocking sounds over minor bumps
Studio RSR

11-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #221
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Cotswolds BMW refuse to acknowledge a fix or offer a software update under warranty The fight is not over.
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #222
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobeesnac View Post
Cotswolds BMW refuse to acknowledge a fix or offer a software update under warranty The fight is not over.
My car is being upgraded the week after next. I'll see if I can get the service manager to let me know the QE reference number.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 02:14 AM   #223
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobeesnac View Post
My car is being upgraded the week after next. I'll see if I can get the service manager to let me know the QE reference number.
Would be appreciated, thanks.
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 12:20 AM   #224
shajufx
Forex Trader
India
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2828 View Post
.....they agreed to carry out a full software update anyway and I'm very happy to report that the noise is gone. This wiped out the couple of coding changes I'd done so I'll need to redo these (e.g. auto stop/start remembers the last setting.....
Wow, I always thought it would be a hardware related solution ! Surprising to hear the software update and the result. Wondering how to convince these guys to do the same here in India ! Any specific software update version or number would have been really helpful
      11-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #225
Brownrocket
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435dx

The PUMA measure number is GB 62569674-04. We've done a few recently and it has cured the noise. It does sound bizarre how a test module can cure what sounds like a mechanical clunking noise, but it's worked on the car's we've had in recently.
      11-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #226
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownrocket View Post
The PUMA measure number is GB 62569674-04. We've done a few recently and it has cured the noise. It does sound bizarre how a test module can cure what sounds like a mechanical clunking noise, but it's worked on the car's we've had in recently.
My noise is more like a hard ball - baseball weight - knocking around inside a plastic box. Not a clunk. Do you think I am barking up the wrong tree with the adaptive dampers being the source?

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #227
Brownrocket
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
My noise is more like a hard ball - baseball weight - knocking around inside a plastic box. Not a clunk. Do you think I am barking up the wrong tree with the adaptive dampers being the source?
I just spoke to a couple of the techs, we had an M135i with 2VF and the sound was a lot more noticeable. Just showed him this post, he said it was loud so it sounds similar to your issue.

That's all I'm allowed to show you from the PUMA measure. If the car is in the 3 year new car warranty your local dealer can programme the car under warranty. If not it's still worth speaking to them about the sound.
      11-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #228
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownrocket View Post
I just spoke to a couple of the techs, we had an M135i with 2VF and the sound was a lot more noticeable. Just showed him this post, he said it was loud so it sounds similar to your issue.

That's all I'm allowed to show you from the PUMA measure. If the car is in the 3 year new car warranty your local dealer can programme the car under warranty. If not it's still worth speaking to them about the sound.
Great, thanks for the info. It's a 3.5 year old AUC so will have to see how that plays out.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #229
Brownrocket
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info. It's a 3.5 year old AUC so will have to see how that plays out.
Well you could speak to your local service department about the issue. If you've got a good history with dealers and BMW you can speak to them about potential Goodwill. BMW might contribute to the cost. There are no parts required for the re-programme and some dealers have a flat rate for coding so it may not be too expensive.
If the coding doesn't solve it the next step would most likely be a shock and damper, but we've never had to replace one yet.
      11-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #230
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

1966-TR4: maybe a drive to the Reading garage even if you are required to pay for the programming, At least they seem like a good garage from peoples reviews.

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #231
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Interesting thread this. Last year I switched over to winters, non-RFTs on 18s from my normal RFTs on 19s and the knocking started. I was convinced that my aftermarket exhaust was the problem and had it checked out and after some fettling it seemed to have disappeared but I wasn't wholly convinced. It's knocked a few times since (now back on 19s) but it's so inconsistent that I just never bothered to take it to a dealer but now that it's a recognised problem I'll see what they say. Thing is, I could swear it was coming from the back and not the front..
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #232
lobeydosser
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d auto active suspension

My 320D on adaptive is 3 years old in December and went in for end of warranty check/brake fluid change and MOT, so I took the chance to moan (again) about the clunking noise that they'd failed to fix at the first service.

I had explained about the soft/firmware fix mentioned here but, on getting the car back, the service dept said they had no knowledge of it, had checked with BMW and were told there is no such QE. However they said they'd raise the issue again with BMW. I later sent the service advisor an email incorporating various quotes from this thread showing that the fix was real.

Yesterday I got a call saying that BMW had authorised the replacement of the steering rack!
I emailed again quoting the post above where the PuMA number is shown, but I have had no response.
I also pointed out that a software upgrade was, presumably, cheaper, easier and definitely less disruptive than swapping racks.

Could it be that there is more value in terms of earnings for the dealer in doing a day's mechanical work than an hour's coding?

Mmmmmm......
      11-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #233
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I spoke to Paul Schilder (Workshop Controller) at Elms again today - he said that it's not an official QE, but an Advisory - still official though.

The Service Manager assured me it's a QE, so clearly there's a crossed wire somewhere in BMW.

Paul mentioned that a couple of Forum members had been in touch with him, one of which is having a new steering rack fitted.

Mine's going in for the software patch in a couple of weeks. Will report back.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #234
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

my 4week old f31 with adaptive seems to be doing this...not the best start! will hod off bit longer before doing anything
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #235
lobeydosser
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d auto active suspension

So to follow up on my post above.

Got the car back after brake fluid/end of warranty/MOT work (and before replacement of steering rack) and the knocking had gone. Drove about 120 miles and still no knocking.
The service advisor at no time acknowledged my emails or made any reference to software fixes, but I did find the OBD port left open when I got the car back.
Maybe that was something to do with brake fluid renewal, rather than a software update, who knows?

However I decided that getting a free (updated?) steering rack that had 30,000 miles less than the old one was a good thing, so I let them do the replacement rack. Again there was no mention from the Service Advisor of my emails to them about the S/ware fix.

Whatever the reason, the car is now silent at the front end, as it should have been from new, so I'm a happy camper.

One other change that I have noticed is that the suspension no longer bottoms out after coming off speed humps.
(even at speeds between 10 and 15 mph in comfort mode I used to switch to sport to stiffen the damping through an area of speed bumps).
I doubt that has anything to do with the new rack and has everything to do with damper response. Maybe a wee sneaky s/ware update was done after all!

I also noticed just how much I used to drive around bumps and potholes to avoid that damned clunking noise! Now I can sail over them.....
      12-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #236
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine has just had the damper software patch applied and the dealer called yesterday to advise that the clonking noise has gone. I won't know for sure until I take it around my local speed bumps test route.

He's also acknowledged the low speed hesitancy and shunt from the AT and is going to get it hooked up for a full BMW Germany diagnostic and PUMA. The possibility of new actuators / clutch pack / entire gearbox were all mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:32 AM   #237
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Watesy

No separate clutchpacks on the version of ZF 8sp AT fitted to n55 AFAIK. Lock up is an integral feature of torque converter.

BP
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #238
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Watesy

No separate clutchpacks on the version of ZF 8sp AT fitted to n55 AFAIK. Lock up is an integral feature of torque converter.

BP
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 03:34 AM   #239
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Mine has just had the damper software patch applied and the dealer called yesterday to advise that the clonking noise has gone. I won't know for sure until I take it around my local speed bumps test route.
Interested to know if SW patch has cured yr clonk, esp as you have modded suspension.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #240
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interested to know if SW patch has cured yr clonk, esp as you have modded suspension.
I haven't got the car back from the dealer yet, but will post an update when I can.

Would be very happy if the noise is gone for good.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #241
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't got the car back from the dealer yet, but will post an update when I can.

Would be very happy if the noise is gone for good.
Watsey - any update on the suspension now you have the car back? Think I might try to get my car updated next time it's in, if this fox seems to be working for all. Not sure how much it will cost but would hope an update won't be crazy money - say £100?!
      12-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #242
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Wow. this is interesting. I have had a sound that I have been trying to find for a month now and your description is exactly what my description has been to the SA. I had the dealer put the clamp fix on an AC hose and nothing. But, the dampers? I will bring this thread to their attention.