F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > My nav sucks. Anyone else?
GetBMWParts

09-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
DR.Nefario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dakar Yellow M3

My nav sucks. Anyone else?

I had it say 350+ miles for something >50miles away. Nav was taking me upstate and back lol. Almost everytime it gives me some crazy distance or takes me on the worst possible route. A few times I knew the general area I was going to and would have to drive 90% of the way there and update the nav again before it was correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJF30 View Post
I had it say 350+ miles for something >50miles away. Nav was taking me upstate and back lol. Almost everytime it gives me some crazy distance or takes me on the worst possible route. A few times I knew the general area I was going to and would have to drive 90% of the way there and update the nav again before it was correct.
Mine works fine but also depends on your nav setting. I think default nav setting is eco mode but I changed mine to fastest plus to work with the RTTM. so directs you around traffic
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJF30 View Post
Mine has been very accurate in terms of routing so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Mine has been very accurate in terms of routing so far.
Always accurate and routes are efficient.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
DR.Nefario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dakar Yellow M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Mine works fine but also depends on your nav setting. I think default nav setting is eco mode but I changed mine to fastest plus to work with the RTTM. so directs you around traffic
I didn't realize it was defaulted to eco mode. I'll try changing it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
CurlyFatAngry
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: his BMW as much as he can !

It's crap when it comes to routes ... takes my through the worst traffic when I'm close to highways !!

Also bugged by the fact that maps don't show street names properly or at all sometimes. Even major streets, it's like a plate of spaghetti without a single label
'08 Jet Black E92 328xi, Premium, Sport, iPod, Black Grille, GP Thunder, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
hhuberla
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive (Sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFatAngry View Post
It's crap when it comes to routes ... takes my through the worst traffic when I'm close to highways !!
A lot of nav systems have this problem. This happens because there is, for example, traffic data saying that there is a little traffic on the highway, so the nav looks for other routes. Problem is that a lot of minor roads don't have any traffic data available, so the nav interprets that as no traffic. I've been directe4d to a slow road that runs parallel to I90 which was gridlocked. Imagine my frustration when the highway comes into view and everyone is cruising along at 50mph.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
I had used mine on a trip and it bypassed every exit and then route me back to it. My dealer is going to help me out on the update shortly. I would just rather use my Garmin with the lifetime map updates. A lot less costly and it never has steered me wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
dzaborn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i GC

Can you set the Nav to always route shortest distance (as to not account for traffic data)?

Also, do you get free map/data updates from BMW for the life of your car or lease or do they have to be purchased?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
Can you set the Nav to always route shortest distance (as to not account for traffic data)?

Also, do you get free map/data updates from BMW for the life of your car or lease or do they have to be purchased?
You have different Nav option from fastest to eco route. you can disable the traffic data too.

dont know about free updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
rbe
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, Corvette C5

I like having instructions and speed limit info on the HUD. However, my BMW nav does strange things. I take freeways to the airport. I know the way, just like to use it to see how I am doing on time. When I transition from one freeway to the next, the voice and the screen says to go south. The HUD shows north, which is correct. When I go north the directions continue correctly, it doesn't tell me to make a U turn. I don't know why the screen and HUD show different info. It does that consistently. I have also had it tell me to turn left when I know right turn is correct. Same thing, I turn right and then it continues with the correct instructions.

Also my Garman shows exact replicas of freeway signs at junctions, but the BMW nav just shows a sign that is not a copy of what the sign actually looks like. As was mentioned before, the Garman speaks street names. The Garman cost $179 with bluetooth, free lifetime map updates and real time traffic info. BMW could have done better.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe View Post
I like having instructions and speed limit info on the HUD. However, my BMW nav does strange things. I take freeways to the airport. I know the way, just like to use it to see how I am doing on time. When I transition from one freeway to the next, the voice and the screen says to go south. The HUD shows north, which is correct. When I go north the directions continue correctly, it doesn't tell me to make a U turn. I don't know why the screen and HUD show different info. It does that consistently. I have also had it tell me to turn left when I know right turn is correct. Same thing, I turn right and then it continues with the correct instructions.

Also my Garman shows exact replicas of freeway signs at junctions, but the BMW nav just shows a sign that is not a copy of what the sign actually looks like. As was mentioned before, the Garman speaks street names. The Garman cost $179 with bluetooth, free lifetime map updates and real time traffic info. BMW could have done better.

Perhaps this is why BMW is in the process of rolling out a new nav!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
weixp386
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i & 2011 318i

I agree... The current nav sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

I had this same issues for a short time but figured it out. Check your route preferences. One time I wanted to find a way to get from one end of D.C. the the other without taking the highway. So, I selected the avoid highways option. Worked fine. BUT, I forgot that I left it on. So, the next time I had to use it and preferred the highway, it kept telling me to get off the highway. You can avoid highways and tolls. There's also fastest and shortest routes. You have to make sure you get the right mix for the trip you are planning or you will probably be taken where you don't want to go. I think the NAV is fine in that eventually, you'll get to your destination. But the nav just gives you 4 different ways to get there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Updates

The updates are not free. I believe around 300 dollars. You can look on the BMW accessories section to make sure. Spend that on a Garmin and the car almost drives itself. I found out when I talked to my dealer about the price. When I bought the car, I didn't want to deal with the CD updates. I have a Garmin with lifetime updates, so the Nav system wasn't a big thrill to me. My CA was understanding the updates were free. I bought one of the first F30s on the lot, so I don't blame him for sure. The dealership has been great. They make up for a lot of stuff BMW doesn't take care of.
Appreciate 0