F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrading subs in F30 HK system
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Upgrading subs in F30 HK system

I'm on the verge of getting the combox retrofit done on my f30 and I've been evaluating the HK system in my car over the last 3 weeks I've had it.

While I hate using EQs, after taking an RTA to the HK system, it's sounding a lot better than it did at default settings. I also disabled Logic 7, which while doing a good job bringing out ambient details in songs, tends to add a bit too much midrange for my taste.

The dual subs in the HK system are OK - they don't distort or anything. But they can get boomy if you turn them too much.

What I'd like is better quality bass <100Hz. I think RPM90's suggestion of swapping the woofers sounds promising. While my bass head days are behind me, I got used to the thump of a sealed 12" Rockford sub in my Mazda3's system.

I know a dedicated amp would be ideal, but I suspect the HK amp is enough. Couple of general questions though...

1 - Anyone know the impedance for the HK woofers? Are they 4 ohms?
2 - Would the HK sub enclosures be classified as vented or sealed?

Otherwise ... I see some Rockford Punch Stage 3 8" shallow mount subs that look pretty nice.

Anyway - if you guys have any feedback, would be great.

Thanks,

Praz
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
While I hate using EQs, after taking an RTA to the HK system, it's sounding a lot better than it did at default settings. I also disabled Logic 7, which while doing a good job bringing out ambient details in songs, tends to add a bit too much midrange for my taste.
Praz
Sorry I cant help you, but can you share your EQ settings? I listen to electronic music and I want less sub 80hz. It's just too boomy... My temp solution is: pull the bass slider almost all the way down and increase the EQ 100 hz slider up. I am not sure if it really helps but I think it got a litte bit better...

Its a shame that the EQ doesn't support sub 100 hrz!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Well that's the thing right - it looks like the sub is crossed over @ 100Hz, so aside from lowering the gain, not a lot you can w/ the subs. Sure I'll take a look at my EQ settings and post back - though keep in mind that it's kinda subjective if you like it or not
Appreciate 0