F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Adam's Wheel Cleaner review --- No need for Sonax anymore!
Studio RSR

04-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Adam's Wheel Cleaner review --- No need for Sonax anymore!

Just wanted to do a little post on wheel cleaner. Obviously wheel cleaner is something we all go thru a lot of and it is pretty expensive. I wanted to see how to get the best bang for my buck and I think I've found it with Adam's.

Sonax is $99 for 5l (1.32 gallons)
Adam's is $59 for 1 gallon

This means the price per gallon for adams is $59 and the sonax is $75.
I can tell you without a doubt that the Adam's cleans just as well IF NOT BETTER THAN the Sonax, and all while saving some money. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you guys.

The pics will speak for themselves but the Adam's cleaner clings very well, removes a lot of break dust even without agitation, and with it, it leaves a beautiful brand new looking wheel.

Here are some pics:

Foam Clinging (Sonax was always very runny):

After some agitation:

Cleaned and Tire Dressed with Adam's Super VRT:

Last edited by smithf80; 04-21-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

I love Adam's Wheel Cleaner and bought a gallon of it shortly after I tried it out the first time. It works great!

The only minor issue with it is that awful smell...ick! Even after I wash the wheels, rinse them, wash the car, rinse the car, and then pull it in the garage to dry and detail, I can still smell a bit of that wheel cleaner odor. Not a big deal at all, but it's the only Adam's product that doesn't have a bad smell. Heck, their Detail Spray smells good enough to drink!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK92 View Post
I love Adam's Wheel Cleaner and bought a gallon of it shortly after I tried it out the first time. It works great!

The only minor issue with it is that awful smell...ick! Even after I wash the wheels, rinse them, wash the car, rinse the car, and then pull it in the garage to dry and detail, I can still smell a bit of that wheel cleaner odor. Not a big deal at all, but it's the only Adam's product that doesn't have a bad smell. Heck, their Detail Spray smells good enough to drink!
Honestly I think it still smells better than Sonax.
      04-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I still find Chemical Guys Diablo wheel gel my preferred option. Sonax and this Adam's product definitely does more of the work for you. It is cool to watch the chemical reaction and see how much it gets off the wheel. However...the amount of product required per wheel is significant. Then you still need to get in there and scrub the wheel to get off all the dirt and brake dust. These products probably get of 80% of the dirt purely with out scrubbing where as Diablo maybe gets rid of 40% of the dirt on its own.

I found I used 1/3 a bottle of Sonax cleaning my wheels. I used a LOT of product each wash. Diablo you dilute it 3-to-1. The amount you spray on each wheel way less then the amount of Sonax I used. So you take your bottle of Diablo and right away it dilutes so it gives you 3 times as much product. You use WAY less product per wheel. I find I get really long use out of one bottle of Diablo. Either way...Sonax/Adam or Diablo you HAVE to get in there with a brush and scrub so I find the Diablo is a WAY more economical product.

Happy Cleaning!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I still find Chemical Guys Diablo wheel gel my preferred option. Sonax and this Adam's product definitely does more of the work for you. It is cool to watch the chemical reaction and see how much it gets off the wheel. However...the amount of product required per wheel is significant. Then you still need to get in there and scrub the wheel to get off all the dirt and brake dust. These products probably get of 80% of the dirt purely with out scrubbing where as Diablo maybe gets rid of 40% of the dirt on its own.

I found I used 1/3 a bottle of Sonax cleaning my wheels. I used a LOT of product each wash. Diablo you dilute it 3-to-1. The amount you spray on each wheel way less then the amount of Sonax I used. So you take your bottle of Diablo and right away it dilutes so it gives you 3 times as much product. You use WAY less product per wheel. I find I get really long use out of one bottle of Diablo. Either way...Sonax/Adam or Diablo you HAVE to get in there with a brush and scrub so I find the Diablo is a WAY more economical product.

Happy Cleaning!
I agree and use Diablo Gel most often. I also have P21S Gel for when the gunk is thick like after a few rain storms.

Also have some Sonax Full-Effect, which is great, but as you said, takes too much per application.

When you perform weekly washes, it is smarter to buy wheel cleaner by the gallon. The Adam's is great also, but no matter which you use, buy a gallon.

The Diablo bottle lasts me over 2 months, sometimes 3. I just squeeze 5 times in a spray bottle then fill with water. I use the SpeedMaster brush, then a cheap microfiber cloth to finish and dry.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0