F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > If I knew then, what I know now, I'd have picked a different spec
Extreme Powerhouse

11-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Yeah my old man's got it on his 530GT and says it's now his "must have" option on his next car. Seems most people have the same reaction. I just couldn't get it in the spec and price. I blew my budget already
Yup I know that feeling, I blew my budget then recklessly added on HK and HUD afterwards :/ Feel a bit guilty for over-spending what I initially aimed for, but you only live once. Plus my girlfriend thinks HK came with the car and HUD was £200. Lol
      11-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Oh well played sir, well played. We're supposed to be saving for a house so I just couldn't pull the trigger in the end. It's bad enough me having such an expensive toy but I haven't bought anything else for ages

Still. I don't wanna sound churlish rueing the things I don't have. I shall celebrate all the epic toys I do have and ... dammit I just wanna go outside and stroke it again. but it's cold
      11-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You did well to get it 'approved' at all when saving for a house then, so well played also

Its first night will likely be spent frozen over if it's anything like it is here (Leeds); -3, bloody freezing!
      11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Yeah same here (not that far south in Donington - J24). This morning was the first time since last winter I had to use a scraper on the car
      11-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #27
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I would expect speed limit display to be standard in combo with HUD
For me it wasn't necessary. When I was speaking to the dealer about it he was saying the car he had tried with it didn't always show the correct speed limit. Not good when he went past a speed camera van Although that wasn't enough to convince me against it, it did make me think and in that extra thinking time my order was locked and no more changes could be made anyway.

Thinking about it now in the cold light of day with the car parked outside, it doesn't feel like I'm missing out on too much. My normal commute I know the speed limits and for those couple of times a week when I go off this beaten path the speed limits are all well signed. Besides, having a display tell me I can do 60 when you're crawling along in a traffic jam wouldn't help

I have no regrets and in the 3 months I've had the car I can't say I'd thought about it until this thread. I have no regrets, I could have added more but there's nothing I would consider necessary to me
      11-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #28
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
The Speed Limit display isn't infallible, sometimes the satnav data is wrong or it can't read a sign, but I'd say it is accurate about 95% of the time plus it's handy when it picks up variable/temporary speed limit signs. Having it there in the HUD next to your speed is handy constant reminder, but it's no substitute for paying proper attention to signs and your surroundings. Would I spec it on my next car? Possibly not - if I were ordering a new F30 now I'd definitely spec the HUD but would probably ditch Speed Limit Display and put the money towards adaptive suspension or HK instead.

PS - this standard sound system is really starting to grate. Radio/talk/etc. is fine, but with a lot of music you just lose all the detail. Best analogy I can think of is if you were to order a plate of assorted ice creams. With HK (I imagine) you can enjoy all the individual flavours. The standard system is like mixing all the different scoops together into a beige sludge! It's ice cream Jim, but not as we know it...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #29
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I left a couple of options off my F30 that I had on my E91.

Electric memory seats are cool but £900+ and I'm the only one that drives the car. Not really worth it for the odd occasion the seat is moved. And on contract hire it's considered to be an option that adds next to nothing at resale so you pay through the nose every month.

Comfort Access was great for getting in the car but particularly dumb when locking I thought. Might as well use a key to lock it for how convenient it was.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Interesting topic.

I went through the options list on the F31 and I just couldn't stomach the final cost. Came to over £47k. Many of the good toys are just luxuries, not essential but good to have. It is what got me looking again at nearly new high specced 5-series.

That allowed me to get all the toys, virtually for free, as we know most options don't enhance the nearly new value by much.

I'm a private buyer not tied to a budget or tax implications. So I was able to get the car I really wanted, all the toys I'd have specced, without breaking the bank, (far less than the new F31 cost). Or reaching that 'bulking feeling' where I would start writing off the options, as I couldn't (in my own mind) justify them as necessary.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #31
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
The HUD was the one thing I really wanted but didn't get. Next car ... next car ...
HUD....is that like a zimmer frame for your eyeballs?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #32
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Speed Limit Display? I think it is very useful indeed.
In the HUD it is close to your line of sight and therefore a constant reminder to keep close to the speed limit.
I find it pretty accurate and therefore tend to mostly rely on what it is telling me.
It is quite surprising how many B class roads in SE England can be quite wide or remote from houses yet still have a 30 or 40 mph limit.
Unless one is always belting up and down motorways, I say the SLD is very useful and would for sure have it again on my next motor!
The HUD display? Quite superb! A must!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Arrrr, the old HUD debate popping up again.
      11-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
Brrrrrr.
Why the hell didn't I pick heated seats ?????????

Chilled leather on the buttocks at 5am is not a friend.
Bless. You'll have terrible constipation from Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia.