F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Warranty question
GetBMWParts

11-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive

Warranty question

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2013 328i xdrive. I had traded in my old 2006 325xi and couldn't have been happier. Today, I was washing my car and decided to clean the engine too. I poped the hood and to my horror, oil was splattered everywhere. My heart instantly broke. That's exactly why I traded the e90... The oil filter housing gasket had failed and coated everything with oil... Now my f30 is in the same shape within 3 weeks of owning it. Pulleys and everything has oil on them. Being as how I bought the car used, I don't know if the warranty will cover this, if I can buy the extended warranty being the second owner.. Ugh. I live 90 miles to the dealership, I plan to call tomorrow... What should I expect from them? Will I pay out of pocket for the repair and labor?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

As long as the car is under the full warranty still, they should cover all parts and labor without issue. This sounds like a mechanical failure, so you shouldn't have to jump through hoops at your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Should be 100% covered, as long as your within you 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

That's great news. I'm at 30k miles right now, so I'll make an appointment tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's the gasket, or worse.. But I've had to fight red tape on a jeeps warranty once upon a time, so hopefully this will be smooth sailing. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Wait. You're oil filter housing sprung a leak on your E90 and you decided to trade in the car instead of fixing it?

The only time I've seen a leak like that is if the gasket on the oil cap was not installed correctly.

The oil housing leak is usually very slow.

Q: what product are you using to clean the engine bay? Did you use this product before the leak started on the E90? What about the F30?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

No, i traded my E90 after fixing the OFHG and replacing pulleys/belt/Eccentric Shaft Position Sensor/cleaning vanos. The car still didn't feel right, so instead of paying bmw close to 2 grand for their 'tune-up'.. I just used that as a down payment on a low-mile 2013 with warranty... by low-mile, i mean 100k less than my e90 lol

Oil cap is fine. I checked the oil filter cap and its seated correctly.

A: "Detailer's Pro Series Engine Degreaser" from amazon. I always use towels/plastic bags to cover stuff and i only use enough product or water in a spray bottle to get it clean. I'm not pressure washing my engine bay all willy-nilly lol Besides, i haven't cleaned my new cars engine. I cleaned up some of the oil with paper shop towels, to see if it comes back and try to find where its coming from exactly.. But i don't plan to do much until its fixed, and if BMW leaves it dirty, then i shall clean it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZDestroyer View Post
No, i traded my E90 after fixing the OFHG and replacing pulleys/belt/Eccentric Shaft Position Sensor/cleaning vanos. The car still didn't feel right, so instead of paying bmw close to 2 grand for their 'tune-up'.. I just used that as a down payment on a low-mile 2013 with warranty... by low-mile, i mean 100k less than my e90 lol

Oil cap is fine. I checked the oil filter cap and its seated correctly.

A: "Detailer's Pro Series Engine Degreaser" from amazon. I always use towels/plastic bags to cover stuff and i only use enough product or water in a spray bottle to get it clean. I'm not pressure washing my engine bay all willy-nilly lol Besides, i haven't cleaned my new cars engine. I cleaned up some of the oil with paper shop towels, to see if it comes back and try to find where its coming from exactly.. But i don't plan to do much until its fixed, and if BMW leaves it dirty, then i shall clean it.
Driving the car into an inground pool is the most effective method to getting that engine bay spotless.
Appreciate 0