F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > How to make life difficult for somebody
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

How to make life difficult for somebody

Our best friends have moved to a new estate recently and have been having difficulties with one of the neighbours who has fallen out with most of the residents of the street.

She has been sending very explicitly threatening messages to my mates Mrs and has actively been encouraging her kids to scratch cars (the catalyst for the falling out), her husband has attacked one of the other neighbours for telling the kids off for throwing stones at their windows.

They're all a bit scared to really get too involved for fear of more vandalism etc

Thing is I did a bit of digging in fact after a very quick google it turns out she's an award winning and relatively well known author with a large online presence in terms of blogging, Facebook page, twitter, Amazon accounts etc etc and likes to present herself as a model professional, she even does book signings and so on.

My mate is quite keen to make life difficult for her but as anonymously as possible.

Any ideas how to spoil things for her as she literally is ruining their lives, she genuinely doesn't seem bothered one bit about police intervention which I'd have thought given her public profile she'd back off with the threat of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Record some footage, put it up on you tube and link it to the person or sell it to a tabloid if their profile is high enough, to be fair for someone who makes their living in the Public domain, it sounds horrendous that they would risk it all with asbo behaviour
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Sounds like a police matter. Solve the problem properly.

Kangaroo courts, mob justice and tit for tat revenge just bing you down to her level and never end well.
Appreciate 2
Moleeuk40.00
Wills28654.50
      08-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

CCTV and Dash Cams
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post

Kangaroo courts, mob justice and tit for tat revenge just bing you down to her level and never end well.
Well said and definitely the way to go.

Get some evidence and then go to the police. So many crimes end up with no further action due to no evidence.

Other witnesses or even better, visual or voice recordings is the way to go. This will eventually stop their actions.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post

Exactly this, otherwise you're no better than them.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Agree with doing it properly. If she is well known then what they are doing will soon be in the public domain.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
gsxr750k3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 330d EB

Unhappy

She seems the type of person that would enjoy Bullfighting
Appreciate 1
PurpleTT370.50
      08-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Our best friends have moved to a new estate recently and have been having difficulties with one of the neighbours who has fallen out with most of the residents of the street.

She has been sending very explicitly threatening messages to my mates Mrs and has actively been encouraging her kids to scratch cars (the catalyst for the falling out), her husband has attacked one of the other neighbours for telling the kids off for throwing stones at their windows.

They're all a bit scared to really get too involved for fear of more vandalism etc

Thing is I did a bit of digging in fact after a very quick google it turns out she's an award winning and relatively well known author with a large online presence in terms of blogging, Facebook page, twitter, Amazon accounts etc etc and likes to present herself as a model professional, she even does book signings and so on.

My mate is quite keen to make life difficult for her but as anonymously as possible.

Any ideas how to spoil things for her as she literally is ruining their lives, she genuinely doesn't seem bothered one bit about police intervention which I'd have thought given her public profile she'd back off with the threat of it.
What your mate really needs is a psychopath to move in next to this woman and give her some of her own medicine.

Now who do we know that has been in and out a phychiatic hospital, that's recently been released and therefore still madder than a box of frogs.......???
I think Brigand's away on business though....
Appreciate 2
LobB5109.00
      08-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Let the police handle it, especially if she is sending explicitly threatening text messages.
Appreciate 4
      08-14-2017, 12:49 AM   #11
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Agree with the Police route. And if she has been sending threatening text's, use that as evidence and go to police stating they are fearful for their own well being.

Unfortunately any other route is most likely to end up with damage to each others property.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #12
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Name and shame them?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #13
Wolverine
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 420D GC M-Sport

Having had problem neighbours for most of 2016 (they moved out in October '16) and gone through the proper channels to resolve it, I would say that this is the right way to resolve it, however it could take a long time to prove it sufficiently for action by the police.

The number 1 thing to do is make sure your mate collects evidence and documents all of the antisocial behaviour in some sort of ASBO diary. Photos, recordings, videos will all help to back up the case and prove the campaign of behaviour by the neighbour.

Be prepared that when confronted, your mate's neighbour will likely counter claim that you are doing this-and-that (whether or not it has any truthful foundations) and the police will have to investigate these counter claims. As long as your friends are not doing anything to worsen the situation, these will be found to be untrue or unable to be substantiated fairly quickly

The police will then take the appropriate action for the complaint with regard given to the evidence collected by your friend and others (if others are making similar complaints - it would help to have a number of complaints from different neighbours if it is affecting the whole estate).

It's a long old slog sometimes but it is the correct way to go. I know it takes all your might sometimes not to deck the person(s) causing the hassle but if you really want to ruin their day, repeated visits from our friends at the thin blue line will about do it. More so if they have been silly enough to do anything that would get them a one-way ride in the back of a police car.
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2017, 03:50 AM   #14
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Can't your mates deal with it in the Pistonheads manner?

Hammer frozen sausages into the lawn?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 04:36 AM   #15
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post

Ha ha I've already recommended that to him and I've bought him a pack of redbull to throw at them as well!
Appreciate 1
DB118D1023.00
      08-17-2017, 04:39 AM   #16
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

I've recommended my cctv installer to them, they're going on holiday this weekend so will sort it when they get back, personally I'd have it done before I went away but they reckon they haven't got time and it's all settled down the last few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

If they've received explicitly threatening text messages, then that is already enough to make this a police matter.
Even if the police declined to take action (and they are very careful about this these days, because if they don't and the threats then come real, it's the police who get nailed for it), then there is certainly enough for a restraining order. If that gets breached, then it's contempt of court and prison time.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post

Ha ha I've already recommended that to him and I've bought him a pack of redbull to throw at them as well!
What are these all about?
      08-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Save texts, send to police. That's against the law here and I'd be surprised if it's not there too nowadays.

Vigilantism probably isn't the best route to be honest. I agree with the others that suggest the same route with the local authorities. Tempting to do what you're suggesting OP, but it'd only put other neighbours under suspicion from this nutter unfairly y'know?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
What are these all about?
Custard.
      08-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Only issue I would have with police intervention is that the OP has already stated the person isn't bothered by police intervention and is actively encouraging her children to go out and vandalise others cars.

With the greatest of respect to the police- what will they actually do ?? They have enough on their plate and are "bound" by rules and regulations that even the most badic of scrutters will know how to use to their own ends.

In the mean time the situation for your friends will only get worse once reported. They don't seem like the kind of people who will be too bothered about who actually reported them and are more likely to lash out at everyone.

Sometines direct action is the answer.
      08-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #22
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
Only issue I would have with police intervention is that the OP has already stated the person isn't bothered by police intervention and is actively encouraging her children to go out and vandalise others cars.

With the greatest of respect to the police- what will they actually do ?? They have enough on their plate and are "bound" by rules and regulations that even the most badic of scrutters will know how to use to their own ends.

In the mean time the situation for your friends will only get worse once reported. They don't seem like the kind of people who will be too bothered about who actually reported them and are more likely to lash out at everyone.

Sometines direct action is the answer.
As I suggested in my post, if the police declined to take action, then the person can go to court and obtain an injunction - the threatening text would be enough to do so, especially if backed up with other evidence.

If the other party then break an injunction - or encourage others to do so - then it's Contempt of Court, which is highly likely to mean an immediate custodial sentence.
Appreciate 0