F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > The mystery of the missing comfort access key fob - help me, hive mind
ARMA SPEED

12-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

The mystery of the missing comfort access key fob - help me, hive mind

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I can't find my key to my wife's F30, but somehow the car still defaulted to "my" settings when we got in this morning. What's up with that?

We were running late out the door this morning, and I couldn't locate it, so we just ran with her keys. I stood by the trunk with bags to load, and she unlocked by touching the passenger side door handle. When I came to sit in the driver's seat I found it already in my seating position (I'm 6'3", wife is 5"1, it's a bit noticeable). My radio presets. My perspective view on the nav at .25 mile zoom (she prefers north view at .5 miles). SUPER WEIRD.

When we parked I tore our bags apart looking for my key, convinced it was in there somewhere -- or else how could my settings have come up? No luck. When we went back to the car next, we approached with together, and she had to open it again. Same thing -- all my preferences.

Then we did an experiment and kept her keys away from the car, and approached it. Couldn't open it. Came back and used her key to open it, and BOOM everything goes back to her settings. Seating position, radio channel, nav settings... everything. I still can't find my key, and now I've lost my radio stations.

I'm sure my key will turn up someplace, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone can explain the behavior I've described here. I've checked the trunk, under the floormats and under the front seats. I've checked every cubby, cupholder, nook and cranny imaginable. My key is not there, I am confident in that. So what the hell?
      12-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

What would be happening if your key were actually in the car or the trunk? In principle, the car shouldn't lock with an active key inside, but maybe it got in there somehow when the other key was active. As an experiment, I'd open the car, take the key you actually have out and away, and see if the car acts as if a key is inside. If it doesn't, then I guess the missing key is not there, and there is some other explanation for it adopting your settings when the car was opened with your wife's key.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Did you check your pocket?

Maybe your key is sitting in the garage close to where you parked your car. That could explain why it worked when you left, but not later.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoupeInsanity View Post
I can't find my key to my wife's F30, but somehow the car still defaulted to "my" settings when we got in this morning. What's up with that?

I'm sure my key will turn up someplace, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone can explain the behavior I've described here.
Occam's razor.

We know BMW's electronics are not that great - we are not talking about Far East electronics here.
Appreciate 0