F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Janne's M Performane Power Kit (MPPK) 335i N55 installation - F34 GT
proTUNING Freaks

05-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #67
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F34, 335iX GT M Sport

Garage List
Hello everyone, just trying to see if anyone has experienced a CEL at high speeds. Please let me know if have been able to drive at speeds of 230 km/h and higher and have received the CEL. Thanks in advance. Listed below is an event log concerning my CEL.

28 Oct 2013 (Bill of Sales) – Vehicle purchased 2014 BMW (F34) 335i GT

04 Nov 2013 – Car picked up at BMW Karl + Co. GmbH & Co. KG, Mainz

14 Jan 2014 – BMW M Performance Power Kit installed at BMW Karl + Co. GmbH & Co. KG, Mainz

28 Jan 2014 – Check Engine Light (CEL) came on and I made an appointment to have it looked at. At the end of the first day that the CEL came on, it disappeared. I canceled my appointment the next day thinking maybe it was just the temperature being too cold. The break in period was observed; I did not drive the car aggressively and drove approximately 2000 km already.

6 Feb 2014 – (First Visit) CEL came back on, I made another appointment to have it looked at. The day I had my appointment to have the CEL looked at, it disappeared. When I arrived at the BMW Dealership, I told the BMW associate that the CEL was gone again. The dealership kept my car overnight to run tests on it. The next day I picked the car up, they had performed a reset and the CEL was gone. I was not told what errors were found if any.

2nd week of February – CEL came back on, appointment made with BMW.

18 Feb 2014 – (Second Visit) returned the car to BMW for service of CEL warning. Car was again reset and the CEL was gone, I was not told what errors were detected.

22 Feb 2014 – CEL came back on, after the car was parked for approximately eight hours, the CEL was gone. I contacted BMW on Monday, 24 Feb for another visit.

13 Mar 2014 – (Third Visit) returned my car again to BMW for the CEL warning being on again. I told the BMW associate that I have read in some forums that it might have to do with the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Power Kit conflicting with each other. They ran tests again and they also contacted BMW Munich. I also told them that the CEL seems to only come on when I am at higher speeds between 200 – 230 km/h. I picked my car back up again; CEL again is reset and gone.

25 Mar 2014 – (Fourth Visit) returned my car again for the CEL issue. Car was at the dealership for two days. They had asked me to bring the original Air Filter Box; they installed the original Air Filter Box back onto the car. I was told that this is what BMW Munich told them to do. I was told that if the check engine light came on again to reschedule for another appointment.

1 Apr 2014 – On my way to work, the CEL came back on. Again it came on at higher speeds; I was travelling between 200-240 km/h. I have contacted the BMW Dealership again; the associate is informing the mechanic which is supposed to contact BMW Munich. I am awaiting instructions from the BMW Dealership for another appointment.

22 April 2014 – Dropped off my car to the BMW Dealership. I was told to bring the MPPK Air Filter Box. They were given new software to install into my car by BMW Munich.

24 April 2014 – Picked up my car, new software installed and MPPK Air Filter Box was reinstalled. At a glance, first thing I saw that was different was that the Sports Display was now showing 320HP/320 ft lb Torque, back to its original state when I first bought my car. After the initial install of the MPPK, the Sports Display was displaying 400HP/400 ft lb Torque. I was told to let the BMW Dealership know if the CEL came back on.

02 May 2014 – I stopped by the BMW Dealership to provide a status update on my car. The CEL has not come back on. I did tell the BMW associate that I did feel less power. When I push on full throttle on the gas, I noticed that the Sport Display would show the torque barely reaching the 300 ft lb of torque. The original ft lb of torque is 300, with the MPPK; it is suppose to be at 332 lbs of torque.

I was also not able to go pass 245 km/h as I did before. I purchased my car with the option that removed the speed limiter (option 840), my top speed is suppose to be 250 km/h. I have reached speeds passing 245 km/h before.

I also had to add 2 quarts (approximately 2 liters) of oil yesterday. This seemed weird since I just had an oil change exactly one month and one day ago, the car was at 19,333km. So adding 2 quarts to a car that recently had an oil change in less than 6000km seemed weird. Waiting on BMW for what’s next.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #68
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrdr
Hello everyone, just trying to see if anyone has experienced a CEL at high speeds. Please let me know if have been able to drive at speeds of 230 km/h and higher and have received the CEL. Thanks in advance. Listed below is an event log concerning my CEL.

28 Oct 2013 (Bill of Sales) – Vehicle purchased 2014 BMW (F34) 335i GT

04 Nov 2013 – Car picked up at BMW Karl + Co. GmbH & Co. KG, Mainz

14 Jan 2014 – BMW M Performance Power Kit installed at BMW Karl + Co. GmbH & Co. KG, Mainz

28 Jan 2014 – Check Engine Light (CEL) came on and I made an appointment to have it looked at. At the end of the first day that the CEL came on, it disappeared. I canceled my appointment the next day thinking maybe it was just the temperature being too cold. The break in period was observed; I did not drive the car aggressively and drove approximately 2000 km already.

6 Feb 2014 – (First Visit) CEL came back on, I made another appointment to have it looked at. The day I had my appointment to have the CEL looked at, it disappeared. When I arrived at the BMW Dealership, I told the BMW associate that the CEL was gone again. The dealership kept my car overnight to run tests on it. The next day I picked the car up, they had performed a reset and the CEL was gone. I was not told what errors were found if any.

2nd week of February – CEL came back on, appointment made with BMW.

18 Feb 2014 – (Second Visit) returned the car to BMW for service of CEL warning. Car was again reset and the CEL was gone, I was not told what errors were detected.

22 Feb 2014 – CEL came back on, after the car was parked for approximately eight hours, the CEL was gone. I contacted BMW on Monday, 24 Feb for another visit.

13 Mar 2014 – (Third Visit) returned my car again to BMW for the CEL warning being on again. I told the BMW associate that I have read in some forums that it might have to do with the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Power Kit conflicting with each other. They ran tests again and they also contacted BMW Munich. I also told them that the CEL seems to only come on when I am at higher speeds between 200 – 230 km/h. I picked my car back up again; CEL again is reset and gone.

25 Mar 2014 – (Fourth Visit) returned my car again for the CEL issue. Car was at the dealership for two days. They had asked me to bring the original Air Filter Box; they installed the original Air Filter Box back onto the car. I was told that this is what BMW Munich told them to do. I was told that if the check engine light came on again to reschedule for another appointment.

1 Apr 2014 – On my way to work, the CEL came back on. Again it came on at higher speeds; I was travelling between 200-240 km/h. I have contacted the BMW Dealership again; the associate is informing the mechanic which is supposed to contact BMW Munich. I am awaiting instructions from the BMW Dealership for another appointment.

22 April 2014 – Dropped off my car to the BMW Dealership. I was told to bring the MPPK Air Filter Box. They were given new software to install into my car by BMW Munich.

24 April 2014 – Picked up my car, new software installed and MPPK Air Filter Box was reinstalled. At a glance, first thing I saw that was different was that the Sports Display was now showing 320HP/320 ft lb Torque, back to its original state when I first bought my car. After the initial install of the MPPK, the Sports Display was displaying 400HP/400 ft lb Torque. I was told to let the BMW Dealership know if the CEL came back on.

02 May 2014 – I stopped by the BMW Dealership to provide a status update on my car. The CEL has not come back on. I did tell the BMW associate that I did feel less power. When I push on full throttle on the gas, I noticed that the Sport Display would show the torque barely reaching the 300 ft lb of torque. The original ft lb of torque is 300, with the MPPK; it is suppose to be at 332 lbs of torque.

I was also not able to go pass 245 km/h as I did before. I purchased my car with the option that removed the speed limiter (option 840), my top speed is suppose to be 250 km/h. I have reached speeds passing 245 km/h before.

I also had to add 2 quarts (approximately 2 liters) of oil yesterday. This seemed weird since I just had an oil change exactly one month and one day ago, the car was at 19,333km. So adding 2 quarts to a car that recently had an oil change in less than 6000km seemed weird. Waiting on BMW for what’s next.
Did you put this same post on every thread mentioning MPPK?
      05-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #69
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Yes, trying to get it out there. Sorry about that but sometimes BMW drivers tend to read threads concerning their BMW Models only.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #70
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Bump to get an update!
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #71
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D5S 2018

Hi
I did get a CEL when cruising at 120 km/h at the motorway a couple of weeks ago.
The CEL disapeared after one day. There was no change in how the car behaved, so I kept on driving. When I returned from my vacation I drove to the dealer and asked him read the error codes. And at the time I got my CEL there was an error inidcatating to much airflow in the mass air flow sensor. If it happens again they will replace the mass air flow sensor........

The strange thing is I was just cruising with very small amount of throttle.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #72
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Thanks.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #73
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

i wonder if this is a GT related issue?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #74
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
i wonder if this is a GT related issue?
don't think so, I've got a 2014 335 with ppk and I've had a number of cel's.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #75
thx217
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' 335iX GT + MPPK

My(15' 335i+MPPK) CEL lit up today while driving at normal(70-80miles) speed. I'm currently at 1750 miles. Will take the car to the service department to see what's going on. I don't feel anything weird while driving the car with the CEL on. Hopefully it's just the stupid sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #76
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx217 View Post
My(15' 335i+MPPK) CEL lit up today while driving at normal(70-80miles) speed. I'm currently at 1750 miles. Will take the car to the service department to see what's going on. I don't feel anything weird while driving the car with the CEL on. Hopefully it's just the stupid sensor issue.
Seems to be the same issue I had.
Please report the result.

/Janne
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #77
thx217
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdtjant View Post
Seems to be the same issue I had.
Please report the result.

/Janne
The CEL disappeared this afternoon when started it up. Weird.

I drove it around in sport mode for about 30mins or so to see if it pops up again, it didn't. It's most likely sensor related issue as another own mentioned.

I'll bring it in if it lit up again and will update.

Did you ever got your fixed?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #78
thx217
Private
Rep

So I sent the car in for some check up today, not because of the CEL though. But they did took a look at the CEL issue that I had(hasn't happen since) and they couldn't find anything wrong and I was told that there's a MPPK update coming in March and it will "probably" address some issues...not too happy about the answer but that all they can do for now...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #79
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I sent the car in for some check up today, not because of the CEL though. But they did took a look at the CEL issue that I had(hasn't happen since) and they couldn't find anything wrong and I was told that there's a MPPK update coming in March and it will "probably" address some issues...not too happy about the answer but that all they can do for now...
Very interested in the March update. I just got the PPK for my wife's 335gt (Feb 06 2015) and it didn't really feel like what I have experienced in past PPK cars. It is now finally coming on after about 100 miles. Do you see the full advertised torque on the sport guage. I do with regards to HP but not the TQ. Also the throttle is not as sensitive in sport mode as other PPK cars I have had. Maybe it's a GT thing.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #80
thx217
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Very interested in the March update. I just got the PPK for my wife's 335gt (Feb 06 2015) and it didn't really feel like what I have experienced in past PPK cars. It is now finally coming on after about 100 miles. Do you see the full advertised torque on the sport guage. I do with regards to HP but not the TQ. Also the throttle is not as sensitive in sport mode as other PPK cars I have had. Maybe it's a GT thing.
Can't say it's a GT thing or not as this is my first bimmer but I guess comparing to other models, GT is surely on the heavy side and that could explain what you are experiencing. I too looking forward to see what the update can do. I'm happy with they way it drives currently. It seems like the N55 on the GTs tends to perform better as it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #81
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can't say it's a GT thing or not as this is my first bimmer but I guess comparing to other models, GT is surely on the heavy side and that could explain what you are experiencing. I too looking forward to see what the update can do. I'm happy with they way it drives currently. It seems like the N55 on the GTs tends to perform better as it goes.
My wifes car is finally awake (90%). The shop foreman looked into the March update and it is for issue related when using the coasting function in ECO pro mode.

It took my wifes car about 600 miles or so, to really wake up. Also I have learned how to drive the car a bit differently to get that low-end torque / thrust I like. I now maintain the car in D rather than DS (lever shifted to the left). This maintains a higher gear and allows additional load on the engine and hence higher TQ levels at lower RPMs and speeds. In my opinion, it seems that the throttle and shift programs are not as well calibrated for the GT with MPPK as they are for a lighter car such as the sedan. But at the end of the day it seems that it is a nice upgrade.

I compared the behavior to my M235 and of course the 600 lbs less weight to move around is truly appreciated. The M235 can easily handle the additional load without having to drop a gear as often. And the throttle and shift points are calibrated with this in mind.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #82
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

This is nothing, Its the MAF being stupid. I had this happen in extreme cold and high winds at highway speeds. Also why the hell did Joyrdr not ask for the code explanation after like the third time? This will reset itself once the MAF resets itself in a full drive cycle. The cold and the wind may screw up the MAF sensor as its not used to it. Either way if this happens alot just get a code reader and clearer, or a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #83
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The CEL disappeared this afternoon when started it up. Weird.

I drove it around in sport mode for about 30mins or so to see if it pops up again, it didn't. It's most likely sensor related issue as another own mentioned.

I'll bring it in if it lit up again and will update.

Did you ever got your fixed?
No, have not had any issues since last October....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #84
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster
This is nothing, Its the MAF being stupid. I had this happen in extreme cold and high winds at highway speeds. Also why the hell did Joyrdr not ask for the code explanation after like the third time? This will reset itself once the MAF resets itself in a full drive cycle. The cold and the wind may screw up the MAF sensor as its not used to it. Either way if this happens alot just get a code reader and clearer, or a JB4.
They wouldn't give it to me, just kept saying they were figuring it out. After another software flash/update the CEL Has not come back on and runs fine now

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>

Appreciate 0