F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Spark plugs F30 335i
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
floor_it
Private First Class
floor_it's Avatar
32
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Spark plugs F30 335i

Hey everyone,

Got a flat tire the other day, and when I took the car in the dealership says my spark plugs are due. So I'm sure many of us know the stealerships want around $450 to replace them, then they want to do your oil change and eventually get your bill to around $600,000,000.

Put simply, I'd like to know if anyone can post a video/or instructions on how to change the plugs for a 2014 335i. I hear it's a simple process, so I'd rather not pay $400.

So here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know how to change the spark plugs, and how often do you typically change your spark plugs?

2) What exactly will I require as far as tools go?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
2014 335i | 6 MT | M-Sport | X-Drive | MPE | Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Orion4
Captain
United_States
176
Rep
893
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

see this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...55+Spark+plugs

It's fairly simple as long as you take your time. the thread includes directions from the Bentley manual.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
GTBrandon
Lieutenant
GTBrandon's Avatar
United_States
188
Rep
571
Posts

Drives: F34 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 335xi GT  [5.00]
All you need is the spark plug socket, which in many cases is included in tool sets.

As for changing them, it is quite simple after you get all the wires and plastics out of the way, here is a video from youtube that should be helpful. I would most definitely do it yourself as the plugs will cost you around $70 and labor maybe an hour max.

__________________
GT stands for Giant Trunk, right?
www.youtube.com/Channel/UCJdwA05Tsz3WHJFBHXWi9JA

Frank Smith ECU Flash, VRSF DP, CTP FMIC, FTP CP, and K&N Drop-In
Appreciate 1
kevinjt117.00

      04-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
mr_kay's Avatar
118
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
All you need is the spark plug socket, which in many cases is included in tool sets.

As for changing them, it is quite simple after you get all the wires and plastics out of the way, here is a video from youtube that should be helpful. I would most definitely do it yourself as the plugs will cost you around $70 and labor maybe an hour max.

Yup, it's even easier on the F series because theres no wire tray above the engine or intake. You will need a thin wallet spark plug socket though, they're made specifically for N series motors. And you'll have to move the strut tower out of the way to get to the back 2 plugs. Really easy.
Appreciate 1
Polo08816893.50

      04-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
232
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (3)

I have a detailed tutorial up on my blog if you need very detailed step by step instructions.

http://badbread.com/2013-f30-335i-sp...-instructions/

The dealership quoted me the same price, the change isn't hard at all but does take some time.
__________________
They are spelled BRAKES not breaks!!!! Did my post help? If so, hit that appreciate button.
Visit my blog for lots of random, nerdy BMW posts and DIY's. Latest articles: CTS Chargepipe Install, The long awaited Dyno post!, and Let's Learn to Log
Best: 1/4 mile, 12.89s@107.5MPH (youtube) ... 0-60@4.73s on Dragy
336 WHP, 414 ft/lbs. on my little PWG
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
233
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrajput View Post
Hey everyone,

Got a flat tire the other day, and when I took the car in the dealership says my spark plugs are due. So I'm sure many of us know the stealerships want around $450 to replace them, then they want to do your oil change and eventually get your bill to around $600,000,000.

Put simply, I'd like to know if anyone can post a video/or instructions on how to change the plugs for a 2014 335i. I hear it's a simple process, so I'd rather not pay $400.

So here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know how to change the spark plugs, and how often do you typically change your spark plugs?

2) What exactly will I require as far as tools go?

Thanks in advance!
Change every 60k. This will prolong the life of your could
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3119
Rep
5,262
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
All you need is the spark plug socket, which in many cases is included in tool sets.

As for changing them, it is quite simple after you get all the wires and plastics out of the way, here is a video from youtube that should be helpful. I would most definitely do it yourself as the plugs will cost you around $70 and labor maybe an hour max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
I have a detailed tutorial up on my blog if you need very detailed step by step instructions.

http://badbread.com/2013-f30-335i-sp...-instructions/

The dealership quoted me the same price, the change isn't hard at all but does take some time.

I replaced them on my e90 which I found to be surprisingly easy--from bad breads blog the F30 looks to be a few more steps. But, still this engine is so much easier than a transverse V6. Make sure you have the socket( I ordered from BMS) and proper Torx socket.
__________________
2013 335i Msport Black sapphire/Coral red. JB4. VRSF DP, ER CP, Dinan Shockware. VRSF 12mm/15mm spacers. Cobra dashcam. Various codings.
Last car: 2011 335i Msport. JB4. Vrsf CP
Appreciate 1
badbread232.00

      04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
232
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I replaced them on my e90 which I found to be surprisingly easy--from bad breads blog the F30 looks to be a few more steps. But, still this engine is so much easier than a transverse V6. Make sure you have the socket( I ordered from BMS) and proper Torx socket.
Yea, it's due to the rear two plugs being covered by... covers. It's easy as heck once they are out of the way.
__________________
They are spelled BRAKES not breaks!!!! Did my post help? If so, hit that appreciate button.
Visit my blog for lots of random, nerdy BMW posts and DIY's. Latest articles: CTS Chargepipe Install, The long awaited Dyno post!, and Let's Learn to Log
Best: 1/4 mile, 12.89s@107.5MPH (youtube) ... 0-60@4.73s on Dragy
336 WHP, 414 ft/lbs. on my little PWG
Appreciate 1
jgoens3119.00

      04-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
mattpete13
Private First Class
24
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: e91
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SE MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
I have a detailed tutorial up on my blog if you need very detailed step by step instructions.

http://badbread.com/2013-f30-335i-sp...-instructions/

The dealership quoted me the same price, the change isn't hard at all but does take some time.
this is great write up, thanks bad bread

so is everyone doing plugs at 60k?
I just passed 60 in my 2013
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
bimmer456
Colonel
863
Rep
2,747
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

You can also bring it to an independent mechanic if it's only $70 worth of Bosch spark plugs you can buy at auto zone. They probably won't charge you $450 if you're jittery about DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #11
floor_it
Private First Class
floor_it's Avatar
32
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Thank you all for your input. I will be taking it to a shop for installation. I'll be buying the part separately. Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #12
floor_it
Private First Class
floor_it's Avatar
32
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor_it View Post
Thank you all for your input. I will be taking it to a shop for installation. I'll be buying the part separately. Thanks again everyone!
Wow I donít normally quote myself but I actually ended up doing them myself!

Costed about $200 with parts/tools and it was indeed a very simple process. The back two plugs are a little harder to work on but nonetheless an easy process, as long as you have the right tools
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #13
silverm0623
Private
11
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2013 335iH
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Central Coast, CA

iTrader: (1)

About how much should a spark plug job reasonably cost on an N55 from an Indy shop (if I provide my own plugs)?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
John in VA
Captain
194
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: '13 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverm0623 View Post
About how much should a spark plug job reasonably cost on an N55 from an Indy shop (if I provide my own plugs)?
Very few shops will allow you to bring parts. If there is a problem it will be your problem, and they'd rather not have the liability. It also allows them to make a few bucks on the parts. If you have a good local shop, let them do the entire job. if you're trying to save money or learn to work on your own car, there are plenty of threads covering the job as well as YouTube videos.
Good luck!
__________________
_______________________________________________
2013 BMW 328i xDrive in Orion Silver/Venetian Beige - Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation System
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #15
jokers
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: f30
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: mia

iTrader: (1)

I did mine last week

I followed this video
Appreciate 2
1QuikWS6788.50

      01-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #16
silverm0623
Private
11
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2013 335iH
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Central Coast, CA

iTrader: (1)

but say I did not want to do it myself, what would a reasonable price at an Indy shop in Southern California be? Hour of labor + Parts?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
Orion4
Captain
United_States
176
Rep
893
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

It will depend on the labor rates in CA (pretty high, I imagine). Here in Melbourne, FL the Dealer charges $30.80 p/plug which is about $196 w/tax. Dealer labor rate is $125. Figure they will probably charge 1.5 to 2.0 hrs of labor. (They go by the labor flat rate book for a jobs regardless how long it takes, unless complications occur). A decent BMW Indy labor rate around here is about $80-$90 with 1 hr of labor and he can get the plugs for about $20 from an autoparts store or his distributor for less. https://www.fcpeuro.com/ sell them for around $10 ea.

So a dealer here will probably charge between $350-$400. An Indy between $200-$275.

Doing it yourself with plugs from someone like FCP Euro and 1 hr of your labor less than $100.
(Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary depending on your driving style and the phase of the Moon)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
silverm0623
Private
11
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2013 335iH
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Central Coast, CA

iTrader: (1)

awesome thanks for the estimate!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #19
floor_it
Private First Class
floor_it's Avatar
32
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers View Post
I did mine last week

I followed this video
This video is great, thanks for posting! I could't find much on the F30 4/335's with those back two plugs but this answers most of the questions I had for next time.
__________________
2014 335i | 6 MT | M-Sport | X-Drive | MPE | Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red

Last edited by floor_it; 02-25-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
akgambino
Second Lieutenant
80
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers View Post
I did mine last week

I followed this video
Thank you so much for posting this video and thanks to whoever made the video! Why would anyone remove the strut bar and replace the strut bolts, seems pretty straightforward all u need is the right length extension to get that back plug out, I was all set to have to take the strut bar off up until seeing this video!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #21
Orion4
Captain
United_States
176
Rep
893
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

The issues with the strut bar bolts are BMW considers them a "single use" stretch bolt. The F30 Bentley Manual also reflects that. In reality, the local dealer only replaces them if they appear damaged. i reused mine on my first plug change, but will probably replace them on the next one as a "piece of mind" item.

Regarding the back 2 plugs, on my 13 335 N55, you need a universal adapter to get the correct angle on the back plug(s). The problem, in my case with a 3/8" drive set, is the plug is not centered in the shield so you are offset just enough that I could not get the socket seated on the plug. The universal was needed or if you have a 1/4" drive set you have have enough clearance to get sufficient access.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
akgambino
Second Lieutenant
80
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
The issues with the strut bar bolts are BMW considers them a "single use" stretch bolt. The F30 Bentley Manual also reflects that. In reality, the local dealer only replaces them if they appear damaged. i reused mine on my first plug change, but will probably replace them on the next one as a "piece of mind" item.

Regarding the back 2 plugs, on my 13 335 N55, you need a universal adapter to get the correct angle on the back plug(s). The problem, in my case with a 3/8" drive set, is the plug is not centered in the shield so you are offset just enough that I could not get the socket seated on the plug. The universal was needed or if you have a 1/4" drive set you have have enough clearance to get sufficient access.
You mean without removing the strut brace?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
diy 3 series f30, maintainence, spark plug change

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST