F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport vs Sport+ question
Studio RSR

02-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Yes I think drivetrain is always checked or you can turn it off for suspension and steering. Either way sport plus has better throttle response.
Is this a new feature with the 340i? Was not the case, either as indicated in the chart posted earlier, or other users experience.

I know if I drive my 535i in Sport mode with the drivetrain unchecked, when I toggle to Sport+, there is change to the gearbox and throttle response. But that is not particularly a Sport+ feature. Drivetrain checked and the throttle response doesn't change moving to Sport+, as it is already more sensitive in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #46
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Is this a new feature with the 340i? Was not the case, either as indicated in the chart posted earlier, or other users experience.

I know if I drive my 535i in Sport mode with the drivetrain unchecked, when I toggle to Sport+, there is change to the gearbox and throttle response. But that is not particularly a Sport+ feature. Drivetrain checked and the throttle response doesn't change moving to Sport+, as it is already more sensitive in Sport mode.
I swear they are the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I think drivetrain is always checked or you can turn it off for suspension and steering. Either way sport plus has better throttle response.

Yes it is more sensitive in sport mode than comfort and more sensitive still in sport +. It may be different on the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Yes it is more sensitive in sport mode than comfort and more sensitive still in sport +. It may be different on the 5 series.
5-series has followed (like the original F3x models), the BMW formula that Sport+ doesn't change the throttle mapping, over Sport.

BMW state, when describing the introduction of modes:

Quote:
The “Sport” and “Sport+” modes also differ in terms of the coordination of one specific dynamic driving system: the Dynamic Stability Control.
So it must be a new feature, to have an additional throttle map, (over and above the Sport throttle mapping) for Sport+.

Seems from the comments, that 3-series owners are not all in agreement on this additional throttle mapping.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #49
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
5-series has followed (like the original F3x models), the BMW formula that Sport+ doesn't change the throttle mapping, over Sport.

Quote:
The “Sport” and “Sport+” modes also differ in terms of the coordination of one specific dynamic driving system: the Dynamic Stability Control.
So it must be a new feature, to have an additional throttle map, (over and above the Sport throttle mapping) for Sport+.

Seems from the comments, that 3-series owners are not all in agreement on this additional throttle mapping.
Yes we even had this discussion at a car meet and me and one other guy stated that sport plus was noticeably more aggressive throttle and shift mapping versus sport but one other person saying it was just dialing back stability control.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #50
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
So sport plus will somewhat still try and save you if the rear starts coming around?
You need to hold the DCT button in for 10+seconds to kill DSC. You will get a major size pictograph on you panel to warn its off. In all the modes its on to some extent. Only thing sport + will do is reduce the traction control to the most you can get without taking out DCT.

Sport + will also cut off the kick down switch & will hold max RPM in the gears

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #51
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Quote:
I see others saying it just dials back stability control, I don't know maybe there's some variation depending on which model you have but even folks with my car are saying that. My experience is there's a significant difference between the modes.
I think that's because most of us saying that are in cars with manual, if you look at the chart in this post http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=19 you'll see there's no difference in shift points with AT, just that launch control is enabled (unless you're in manual mode of course).

I think similar to what I was saying earlier, you're just finding more "pull" with Sport+ as it puts power down "more directly", with less interference from electronics when there's grip to be found.
I dunno I feel more lag in sport. It's not just the transmission. Interesting though.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #52
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yes we even had this discussion at a car meet and me and one other guy stated that sport plus was noticeably more aggressive throttle and shift mapping versus sport but one other person saying it was just dialing back stability control.
I test drive the 4 series for BMW before it came out. They flew an engineer in from Germany and had BMW driving instructors. They all said it only affects the stability control by relaxing it more.

This additional shifting and throttle changes are all in your head. End thread.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      02-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #53
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Quote:
Good to know. I've heard this about Sport + stability control. Wish you could have the throttle response of sport + with full traction control. Sometimes I use sport+ just at launch and then switch to sport, but may need to use sport while in the rain, and shift with paddles.
You can... leave it in 'sport' mode... same throttle mapping as sport+ but with dsc still active (as highlandpete has said above)

Seems to be a lot of confusion over what the settings actually do! I'm in a manual so 'sport' tightens up the steering & sharpens throttle response (I can't drive without these improvements) and 'sport+' simply removes some traction assistance (in auto tranny cars it changes shift settings I believe, but not being an auto man I'm not entirely sure)
No sport plus has still better throttle response than sport. Also higher shift points although this can actually slow you down depending on how much throttle you're applying. I sometimes launch with sport plus and then switch it off after launch as the shifting may be better in sport at part throttle. I see others saying it just dials back stability control, I don't know maybe there's some variation depending on which model you have but even folks with my car are saying that. My experience is there's a significant difference between the modes.
Placebo

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #54
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
No sport plus has still better throttle response than sport. Also higher shift points although this can actually slow you down depending on how much throttle you're applying. I sometimes launch with sport plus and then switch it off after launch as the shifting may be better in sport at part throttle. I see others saying it just dials back stability control, I don't know maybe there's some variation depending on which model you have but even folks with my car are saying that. My experience is there's a significant difference between the modes.
Not in the manual it doesn't! My guess is that you auto guys are feeling a better initial pick up because the auto box reacts quicker in sport+... throttle is absolutely identical in a manual and is pretty near perfect. I test drove a sport auto and even in sport mode there was an apparent throttle delay which is not present in the manual... I assume sport+ attempts to eliminate that delay in an auto!!

Last edited by nozydog; 02-18-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
eluded3039.50
      02-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #55
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

See my post immediately above, I think this may answer this eternal question! But I'm sure someone will still tell me I'm wrong!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #56
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Placebo
This. I've tried all three settings and notice nothing different about shift points nor throttle mapping in sport vs sport+. Comfort, on the other hand, has drastic changes to the throttle mapping.

According to BMW literature (assuming it's 100% correct), Sport+ is nothing more than sport mode with traction control enabled. It dials back stability control in favor of a little more wheel slippage.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #57
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
This. I've tried all three settings and notice nothing different about shift points nor throttle mapping in sport vs sport+. Comfort, on the other hand, has drastic changes to the throttle mapping.

According to BMW literature (assuming it's 100% correct), Sport+ is nothing more than sport mode with traction control enabled. It dials back stability control in favor of a little more wheel slippage.
+1 an awful lot of people seem to be imagining a difference which simply isn't there!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #58
S.BMW23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I personally changed the setting on sport mode to just affect the chassis versuses on sport plus where both chassis and transmission are are effected.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      02-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #59
AudiA4
Major
Rep

I think the MAIN point here is that NO ONE should be driving around on the street in Sport+ mode. No one, because ALL it does is reduce functionality of stability control that should only be reserved for the track. NOTHING MORE folks! Sheeesh.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 3
nozydog465.00
Wires1645.50
Bbb34730.50
      02-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #60
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I think the MAIN point here is that NO ONE should be driving around on the street in Sport+ mode. No one, because ALL it does is reduce functionality of stability control that should only be reserved for the track. NOTHING MORE folks! Sheeesh.
I agree with you mate! Also I feel sport and sport+ throttle response feels about the same...placebo effect for people saying there is a difference?
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      02-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #61
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
On the track I would fully disabled sport+. It is highly unpredictable compared to how predictable the chassis is with all the electronics turned off.
Appreciate 3
AudiA4647.50
Wires1645.50
Bbb34730.50
      02-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #62
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
On the track I would fully disabled sport+. It is highly unpredictable compared to how predictable the chassis is with all the electronics turned off.
I'd agree with you on that. During the BMW driving class, one of the driving instructors (who was doing hot laps in my car when I sat shot gun), ran my E90 into a couple of tight back and forth turns. The car decided his crazy antics weren't safe, and went into full throttle cur and recovery mode.

We took that corner on 3 wheels, he almost filled his pants and asked for the ^%^&*^$%$&&*&&^* nanny features to be turned off.
Appreciate 1
eluded3039.50
      02-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #63
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

as part of a forum meet in the uk a year or 2 ago?. We were meeting Steinbauer engineers to have our cars rolled and tested as part of their tune. On the live drive the technician commented that the 435d he had just been in was in sport auto and the gears didnt feel as snappy as my 335d which was in sport+ manual.

he knew his stuff so since this I am sure sport+ has quicker gear changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #64
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
as part of a forum meet in the uk a year or 2 ago?. We were meeting Steinbauer engineers to have our cars rolled and tested as part of their tune. On the live drive the technician commented that the 435d he had just been in was in sport auto and the gears didnt feel as snappy as my 335d which was in sport+ manual.

he knew his stuff so since this I am sure sport+ has quicker gear changes.
Yeah...um...no.

Appreciate 1
Blubaron791434.50
      02-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #65
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
...NO ONE should be driving around on the street in Sport+ mode. No one, because ALL it does is reduce functionality of stability control that should only be reserved for the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Exactly this !!! Couldn't agree more.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make all along. It's not so much owners not being able to handle RWD car with no assist, it's unpredictability of the assist in Sport+ that makes it tricky and somewhat dangerous. Especially true if roads aren't dry.
Appreciate 0