F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "Right" use of ECO PRO
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
While some of what you say may be true. It still comes down to where you're living. City does not mean the same for all of us on here. I live in NY which off the cuff would suggest to most that we live in NYC (Manhattan). But I live on LI which is the suburbs. While it is not the city, it does have the extreme traffic conditions that cause plenty of stop and go. I do not consider myself an aggressive driver at all (sometimes maybe). But there are driving modes and options in the car so, why not choose the option you like most for your particular driving. Like I had stated earlier in this post, I do not care for the very sluggish throttle response that I experience in Eco Pro for my around town driving.

That is not to suggest that I need to be weaving in and out of traffic but I do enjoy driving this car and feeling that burst every now and again. I use and benefit from Eco Pro when I drive on the highways and on trips. I love saving some money and fuel is expensive but if I wanted to wring out every last penny on every fill up, I would not have bought this car and would have opted for a Prius. IMHO, it is up to each individual to decide which driving modes suit their particular needs. It doesn't make you an aggressive or gas wasting driver it just makes you a driver who appreciates the shear driving joy and full potential of his/her BMW. BMW's slogan is, "The ultimate driving machine" isn't that why most of us bought these cars anyway.
I observe two different issues being discussed here and probably being reflected in the whole topic. One is ECO PRO in the driving context of which driving situation we prefer to use ECO PRO, the other is in which driving situations ECO PRO has the greatest fuel efficiency gains.

I agree the two may not match up. But clearly it is in the city/urban context where ECO PRO offers the greatest fuel savings. That is backed up with data. I do believe on the highway ECO PRO encourages a more relaxed driving style and that is where the fuel savings will come from, more than some 'magical' engine mapping that gives better fuel efficiency, as opposed to being in comfort or sport mode at the same engine rpm/road speed.

The softer throttle mapping contributes to reducing one of the aggressiveness factors involved in highway driving. But the guy in sport mode using the same acceleration/deceleration rates (and in the same gear and cruising speed) won't be using any more fuel, as each mode still has the same wheel work.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
While some of what you say may be true. It still comes down to where you're living. City does not mean the same for all of us on here. I live in NY which off the cuff would suggest to most that we live in NYC (Manhattan). But I live on LI which is the suburbs. While it is not the city, it does have the extreme traffic conditions that cause plenty of stop and go. I do not consider myself an aggressive driver at all (sometimes maybe). But there are driving modes and options in the car so, why not choose the option you like most for your particular driving. Like I had stated earlier in this post, I do not care for the very sluggish throttle response that I experience in Eco Pro for my around town driving.

That is not to suggest that I need to be weaving in and out of traffic but I do enjoy driving this car and feeling that burst every now and again. I use and benefit from Eco Pro when I drive on the highways and on trips. I love saving some money and fuel is expensive but if I wanted to wring out every last penny on every fill up, I would not have bought this car and would have opted for a Prius. IMHO, it is up to each individual to decide which driving modes suit their particular needs. It doesn't make you an aggressive or gas wasting driver it just makes you a driver who appreciates the shear driving joy and full potential of his/her BMW. BMW's slogan is, "The ultimate driving machine" isn't that why most of us bought these cars anyway.
I observe two different issues being discussed here and probably being reflected in the whole topic. One is ECO PRO in the driving context of which driving situation we prefer to use ECO PRO, the other is in which driving situations ECO PRO has the greatest fuel efficiency gains.

I agree the two may not match up. But clearly it is in the city/urban context where ECO PRO offers the greatest fuel savings. That is backed up with data. I do believe on the highway ECO PRO encourages a more relaxed driving style and that is where the fuel savings will come from, more than some 'magical' engine mapping that gives better fuel efficiency, as opposed to being in comfort or sport mode at the same engine rpm/road speed.

The softer throttle mapping contributes to reducing one of the aggressiveness factors involved in highway driving. But the guy in sport mode using the same acceleration/deceleration rates (and in the same gear and cruising speed) won't be using any more fuel, as each mode still has the same wheel work.

HighlandPete
+1

Eco pro will take out any form of aggressiveness from your normal driving. It influences me to drive slowly and the car accelerates very slowly, like a corrolla. This is good because that's exactly how I want to feel. To make myself even feel better I set up the Eco pro graphs and watch each of them all beating my average fuel consumption as much as halving it.

Comfort is my normal driving mode, sport is for when I want to have fun, a complete opposite of Eco pro, I turn on my sport displays at that stage.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Estoril Blue II 328 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
+1

I was going to post something similar.

The common view seems to be that on the highway there is the greatest benefit, it shows it is changing the user driving style. There is more going on with the driver than the potential to save gas at a constant cruising speed. I suggest drivers are just not willing to adjust the same in city driving, because that is where the greatest gas savings would take place. Studies clearly show it is city driving and aggressive factors that use/waste most fuel, so ECO PRO in urban/city conditions has the greatest potential for any savings.

The 'sluggish' throttle response is sort of enforcing smoothness on a lot of drivers, that improves the economy. Plus I detect (and from my own experience with ECO PRO) there is a tendency to drive a bit slower (even if only a couple of mph) to see what we can get on the highway.

HighlandPete

I wouldn't say the increased fuel economy at highway speeds in ECO pro mode is a 'view' as much as it is my experience.

True, I don't want to change my driving habits while using ECO pro in the city to accelerate slower mainly because living in NY if you do that you're more than likely to get your ass ran over.

So in my experience, I do see the greatest gains in MPG in using ECO Pro mode on the highway verses the city's stop and go traffic, were other owners in more rural areas might see the gains you so noted.

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggity317 View Post
I wouldn't say the increased fuel economy at highway speeds in ECO pro mode is a 'view' as much as it is my experience.

True, I don't want to change my driving habits while using ECO pro in the city to accelerate slower mainly because living in NY if you do that you're more than likely to get your ass ran over.

So in my experience, I do see the greatest gains in MPG in using ECO Pro mode on the highway verses the city's stop and go traffic, were other owners in more rural areas might see the gains you so noted.
I understand it is your experience, but in the context of the OP's question it isn't where the most gains can be experienced. It is clear you have chosen not to change your driving style in urban settings to suit Eco Pro, but have chosen to do so in highway driving. Fair comment and others are clearly doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traabil View Post
Under what driving conditions will you get the best value of ECO PRO? I'm thinking urban with much stop and go, but I haven't read anything official on this

Petrol heads will have me excused
So in that context, it is a view/experience which many are expressing, due to choice of where to use Eco Pro. If you want the most savings in fuel consumption, then in urban settings is where the facts support the biggest savings are possible. That is the 'official' data supported view/experience from studies, as I alluded to in my earlier posting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I find that economy pro is great for highway between 60-70mph.

Around town is fine too.

But it's been quite warm and muggy recently, and it's horrible to sit in stop and go with EcoPro because of the impact on the AC (it blows less air). So I would say keep it in comfort then.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
gent
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d F30

i am in Bangkok, Thailand where the road as if it is the big Parking lot in the morning as well as in the evenining. I am always turn "auto start on/off"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
massoh
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 - 316i 2013

The Eco Pro for me is "on" at the highway trips when having my family, comfort is my default at the daily driving to/from work at city crowded streets, when Sport is my prefered one when i wanna feel i'm driving a Bimmer
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xit2050 View Post

Come over to Europe if you want to talk expensive.
^True story. Drove from Munich to Frankfurt on my ED and I nearly ran through a tank of gas that cost about 75 Euros ($97 USD) IIRC. Always kept under 4000rpm due to break-in, going between 90-120mph on the autobahn. I kept it in sport because I wanted the option to overtake someone or move out of the way in a hurry (folks in Europe consider you slow doing 90mph). I would assume under the same driving conditions in Eco Pro I'd be getting similar results, it'll just take a little longer to get up to those speeds.
Appreciate 0