F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Retractable license plate
proTUNING Freaks

11-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E70 X5M, 2014 F30 335i M

It would be hilarious if a cop were to pull you over, as you're pulling over you push the button to deliver your plate, the cop comes to a stop, gets out of his car to ask you about your front license plate, you tell him "what are you talking about?", he checks it, and with an expression of confusion---drives away. Haha
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Hmm, somehow gotta find a place to wire it where it'll activate when you park and lock the car...challenge accepted!!!

btw, this is exactly what I needed too! got a ticket the 1st night after my plates came in. I've never drilled holes in my bumpers before and wasn't about to start now!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92er View Post
Hmm, somehow gotta find a place to wire it where it'll activate when you park and lock the car...challenge accepted!!!

btw, this is exactly what I needed too! got a ticket the 1st night after my plates came in. I've never drilled holes in my bumpers before and wasn't about to start now!!
please let us know if you find out how to hardwire this thing to automatically fold and unfold...it would be great if it could do that, best if it folded when the side mirrors unfolded and vice versa

however, i don't think this is possible without modifying the control module...1) the control module only has 3 wires - power, ground, and remote and 2) there are 2 buttons - fold and unfold and 3) you have to hold these buttons down the duration of the folding/unfolding process...so i'm not sure how you would wire this up with just the available wires and differentiate the folding/unfolding signal sent by the remote without hacking that control module
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

way too cool, very neat

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #27
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 435i M-Sport - SB

Older thread revived… PM'd OP regarding install help. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #28
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

PM replied.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #29
livewyr25
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 M Sport

Im having Oneighty install this on my f30 m sport on sat. Still curious about where they are going to mount it. Cutting out some of the grill scares me a little
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #30
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewyr25 View Post
Im having Oneighty install this on my f30 m sport on sat. Still curious about where they are going to mount it. Cutting out some of the grill scares me a little
Snap lots of pics
      03-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #31
bobabimmerlife
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

That's awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #32
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

Parked today on a meeter, walked away and then realized the car has no front plate, so instead I drove in a nearby parking ramp. Probably spent extra $6 over what the meeter be. I need this.

Btw, what is holding the retractor element to the bumper? (long and narrow part with the mechanism) or is that the piece that is secured with the double tape?

Last edited by Zamorskii; 03-24-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #33
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 435Xi M-Sport

The long narrow part is what gets mounted to the bumper. Mine just arrived today from Amazon.com. Will be installing mine this weekend and will post any other tips the I can come up with although the original poster's instructions should be more than adequate for most installations.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #34
livewyr25
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 M Sport

Loving my retractable license plate! It paid for itself yesterday. I was Pulling up to a known spot near me where they do road stops. Saw traffic so i knew there was cops present. Pressed one of the buttons on my rear view mirror. Up comes the license plate.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #35
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Is there some sort of stop to keep it from slapping the bumper when you deploy it? Or does it use the bumper itself? Im just thinking that over time rubbing/hits are going to hurt the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #36
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Is there some sort of stop to keep it from slapping the bumper when you deploy it? Or does it use the bumper itself? Im just thinking that over time rubbing/hits are going to hurt the paint.
they give you 2 small pieces of foam that you can apply over the plastic "bumpers" but you really dont' need them...they don't hit the bumper hard enough to do any sort of damage...they do make a small "thud" but it's nowhere near as bad as it probably sounds on the video i made
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #37
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
they give you 2 small pieces of foam that you can apply over the plastic "bumpers" but you really dont' need them...they don't hit the bumper hard enough to do any sort of damage...they do make a small "thud" but it's nowhere near as bad as it probably sounds on the video i made
Ok. I'd still be worried about rubbing. Road vibrations over time would likely wear on the paint. It would be pretty subtle at first but I'm betting after a year or two you might be in for a surprise provided your drive around with the plate deployed more than retracted.

I fricken love the idea, its brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #38
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Ok. I'd still be worried about rubbing. Road vibrations over time would likely wear on the paint. It would be pretty subtle at first but I'm betting after a year or two you might be in for a surprise provided your drive around with the plate deployed more than retracted.

I fricken love the idea, its brilliant.
yea but that's if you have it out while driving and what would be the point of that? mine is always retracted while driving and only gets to see daylight when i'm parked out on the street or in occasions when i see cops - they can pull you over for not having the front plates

PS - the car's been through Chicago's tough winter this year...rain, snow, carwashes, etc. and the 3M tape has held up...the plate will still barely move out of position...i was highly considering this summer to just go ahead and screw it where you can't see but there's really no point
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #39
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep

Curious if anyone has installed the flip up retractable version on a 4 series M-Sport yet? I bought one and thankfully, before cutting the grill, I double checked and found that the track will end up sticking out by at least an inch past the bumper. Not cool! I'm going to see if I can tilt the track up in the back so it clears the intercooler but I'm afraid that the extreme angle needed will end up keeping the plate from flipping up properly and will leave a big gap along the top edge. Other option is to see if the track can be shortened enough but it's going to be really close even then.

I know that it fits on Rasengan's car but I believe his is a 3 series so there is obviously a difference in bumper clearance between the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #40
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

mine is a 428i M-Sport and the track will stick out past the bumper by a small margin, around an inch or less, highly unnoticeable...obviously, it has to...otherwise, how else would the plate flip out if the track isn't long enough to clear the bumper?

if you watch the video closely, you can see just how far the track sticks out and it's just barely (you can make out a faint whitish line where the track ends)...it's almost as if these things were made specifically for this car because it fits flawlessly
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #41
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep

I know it's asking a lot, but it would really help to have some close up shots of how your track is mounted and how much it sticks out. I have not cut my grill yet because I can't see the track being stable in any way with the 1 1/2" of painted surface on which I can double stick tape it to the under side of the grill opening. There is nothing behind the grill on which to double stick tape anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #42
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1 View Post
Curious if anyone has installed the flip up retractable version on a 4 series M-Sport yet? I bought one and thankfully, before cutting the grill, I double checked and found that the track will end up sticking out by at least an inch past the bumper. Not cool!
I had a similar experience. Took it to a couple places in LA for install on 435i M-Sport and was told by both that the track was more than 1" too long and would be much less discrete than it is in OP's video. Hoping that someone can provide more specific directions for fitment, adjustment, or best case scenario, point me in the direction of someone in LA who has experience with installation -- ONEightyNYC wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped.
      04-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #43
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep

I unfortunately gave up and am sending mine back via Amazon. Pretty bummed about it too. I looked at altering the motor placement so that it would be above the track, effectively shortening it by a little over an inch but without having some serious metal fab & machining skills and equipment, would be afraid that it would not work as planned.

I have decided to go a different direction and make a removable mounting bracket that is bolted to the underside of the center bumper section with thumb screws. Originally looked at using Velcro but it was not stable enough for my taste. Once I get it done, I will post some photos.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #44
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

sorry this took so long...warm weather took a long time to come and having a newborn didn't help either ;P

i decided, since the weather was so nice, to finish up some mods...i installed aluminum pedals, painted my calipers, and i went ahead and made the plate permanent by screwing the bracket in...this thing has paid for itself multiple times now and has saved me so much money in tickets i felt 2 screws under the bumper wouldn't hurt...i was also able to reposition it further inwards than what i originally had and now it's perfectly flush to the bumper...i looked inside and the back end of the bracket rests on top of the intercooler - if you just push it up against the intercooler, then yes, it will simply stick out over 1.5-2 inches

here are some pics of the new install...i'll take pics of where i wired it up

Appreciate 0