F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car suddenly shut off on Freeway
ARMA SPEED

04-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #23
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

For the record, you CAN go from drive to neutral and vice-versa while moving by simply moving the shifter. You DO NOT have to push the brake to do so. This is a safety feature that has been around for years on automatics. Tested yesterday on the highway - pushed the gearshift into neutral than back to drive. Reverse and park are electronically locked out to keep from accidentally destroying your transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #24
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
You young whippersnappers and your new fangled "automatics"
+1. Also, why do you guys keep buying these things? Issues are endless. Glad youre ok OP.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by c98928 View Post
Wait a minute.

I usually put the gear to N at red lights, but when I want start going again, I have to firmly brake before I can put it in D.

Does it behave differently while in motion and complete stop?
First of all, why the hell would you do that? Secondly I can't recall if you have to have brake when stopped to go from N > D, but you might. All I know is that you do NOT need to brake (much less come to a complete stop) to go from N > D when you're at speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Alright. Just got a phone call from SA.

They couldn't find any fault code, couldn't replicate problem. So he has to let it go. This is the worst outcome I could hope for. I feel like I am now a guinea pig. So wait and see if it happens again?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Insist on a PUMA case...

This definitely cries out to be elevated. We're now all guinea pigs!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #28
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Yesterday I was cruising at 70mph in the fast lane. Traffic had finally opened after some stop&go. I noticed a message on the dash saying something about "transmission not in drive" or something similar to that. I can't remember the exact wording now. I immediately looked at the shift knob which was in neutral. I realized I was in trouble.

I tried to shift out of neutral to drive. Nothing.
I tried to shift it to DS mode. Nothing. It was actually locked.
I tried throttle gently. Nothing.

My car was losing speed rapidly and I had to maneuver to the shoulder on the right which is 3 lanes away. Trust me that was no fun because the car was basically paralyzed and cars behind me were speeding up. Luckily some guy realized what I was doing and let me pull over. I called BMW Assist immediately just to be connected to emergency. I restarted the car, put it in drive and drove away.

All happened to fast. The car is now at Crevier BMW and hopefully I get a good foreman that cares. I need an answer. I've lost my trust in this vehicle. Something like this should NOT have happen. What do you guys think?
Happened to me last week going to Masters. Was merging at 90 mph and car went in to limp mode. Error message was drive train failure. Car was shaking like crazy and wouldn't excelerate past 60. I almost caused a massive accident. This was the third time I have had issue with car. Year old and 35-40 days in the shop. I currently have a 335 AH3. I am getting a new car tomorrow. Dealer has no idea how to fix. Yes I got a trade assist but it's still costing me a lot of money to trade.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Wait a minute.

I usually put the gear to N at red lights, but when I want start going again, I have to firmly brake before I can put it in D.

Does it behave differently while in motion and complete stop?
Why are you putting the trans to N at red lights?

Do yourself a favor and leave the trans in D so you can move quickly if/when you need to.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker82 View Post
Happened to me last week going to Masters. Was merging at 90 mph and car went in to limp mode. Error message was drive train failure. Car was shaking like crazy and wouldn't excelerate past 60. I almost caused a massive accident. This was the third time I have had issue with car. Year old and 35-40 days in the shop. I currently have a 335 AH3. I am getting a new car tomorrow. Dealer has no idea how to fix. Yes I got a trade assist but it's still costing me a lot of money to trade.
I assume you are not getting another BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #31
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

I am trying to find the exactly error message I received on the dash. I was something similar to "Transmission not in drive"

Is there a list of all error messages? I can't find it in the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #32
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

There is a thread with similar gear selector issues while driving, on the X1 forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #33
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Why are you putting the trans to N at red lights?

Do yourself a favor and leave the trans in D so you can move quickly if/when you need to.
Really, why are you putting the car into neutral at lights?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #34
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I assume you are not getting another BMW?
Yea you would think so. LOL.... I got a loaded 335 m sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #35
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Yup...

My E92 M3 coupe has been a digital nightmare - radio wouldn't work on cold mornings, CELs, limp homes, weird DCT messages - and we have no lemon laws in Canada. So what do I order? A 435i xDrive 8AT w/ MPPK etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #36
mech888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i & 335i

These cars really are getting entirely too sophisticated... Another reason to keep my n54 e90 forever. Also more reason to have my dealer code the auto start stop on my f30 to never!
2011 328i Gone
2009 335i Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

This was a fix from the November 12 TSB no?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #38
c98928
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
First of all, why the hell would you do that? Secondly I can't recall if you have to have brake when stopped to go from N > D, but you might. All I know is that you do NOT need to brake (much less come to a complete stop) to go from N > D when you're at speed.
Well because I can take my foot off the brake at lights?

I always thought that's the correct thing to do! Now you guys make me think...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #39
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435iMSport, MPPK, LSD, MPE

"The problem's plain to see...too much technology"...Extended Warranty!!!
I love the 8AT, cameras and all, but I got 7 yrs 100k miles because SOMETHING is going to break!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech888 View Post
These cars really are getting entirely too sophisticated... Another reason to keep my n54 e90 forever. Also more reason to have my dealer code the auto start stop on my f30 to never!
Sophisticated in the sense of overly complicated and removed from simplicity, cause it's not fully refined nor highly developed if it can cause harm.

It's not very "sophisticated" when your car becomes uncontrollable because the overly complex computer system decides to take control away from the driver on the most basic yet extremely important controls.
Where the f**k are the redundant fail safe protocols?

Since the computer knows your car is moving, as it can read the sensors for rolling tires, then it should know NOT to take the trans out of gear or cut throttle control, nor any nonsense where vehicle control is removed from the driver.

Put a cable back into the throttle so it can default to mechanical control if/when the computer decides full throttle is what is needed, or no throttle is what is needed when what you need is completely the opposite.
This is one reason why I'm dreading manufacturers going to brake-by-wire.
At least the electric assist steering still has a mechanical link so we can still steer if the computer or assist system goes bonkers at 90 mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #41
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well because I can take my foot off the brake at lights?

I always thought that's the correct thing to do! Now you guys make me think...
With a manual trans many drivers will put the trans in neutral once they come to a complete stop.
Some argue that you should always be in gear so you can move out of the way quicker if you need to.
Others argue that leaving the trans in gear while your foot has the clutch pedal in wears the throw out bearing quicker.
There seems to be no consensus on this.

When I drive an MT I do both but it depends on the situation.
If it's a stop sign I'll leave it in gear. On long lights or train stops I'll do neutral.

With an AT I see no reason to take it out of gear, just hold the brake pedal lightly.
It's your choice, but my opinion is that it's fine to leave it in gear at any length temporary stop.

ASS will shut your engine off, but you have to keep holding the brake pedal in. If you take your foot off the brake the engine will start.
I think with the MT and ASS, the engine shuts off at a stop and you still have to hold the brake. Once you push in the clutch the engine fires up.
With this method you leave the trans in gear, and when you press in the clutch you're already in gear and you can move.

So the only reason you go from D to N is because it's too much to hold the brake pedal in?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #42
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
With a manual trans many drivers will put the trans in neutral once they come to a complete stop.
Some argue that you should always be in gear so you can move out of the way quicker if you need to.
Others argue that leaving the trans in gear while your foot has the clutch pedal in wears the throw out bearing quicker.
There seems to be no consensus on this.

When I drive an MT I do both but it depends on the situation.
If it's a stop sign I'll leave it in gear. On long lights or train stops I'll do neutral.

With an AT I see no reason to take it out of gear, just hold the brake pedal lightly.
It's your choice, but my opinion is that it's fine to leave it in gear at any length temporary stop.

ASS will shut your engine off, but you have to keep holding the brake pedal in. If you take your foot off the brake the engine will start.
I think with the MT and ASS, the engine shuts off at a stop and you still have to hold the brake. Once you push in the clutch the engine fires up.
With this method you leave the trans in gear, and when you press in the clutch you're already in gear and you can move.

So the only reason you go from D to N is because it's too much to hold the brake pedal in?
Seriously... Plus you still have to hold the brake unless you are on a completely flat surface....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #43
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

FYI once the ASS kicks in (puts car in standby mode) you can put the car in park and it will stay in standby mode, therefore you can take your foot off the pedal. Once you put it back in drive, the car will start again and you can go on..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #44
Senhorcheeks435
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435 GC

Garage List
2015 Bmw 435  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Alright. Just got a phone call from SA.

They couldn't find any fault code, couldn't replicate problem. So he has to let it go. This is the worst outcome I could hope for. I feel like I am now a guinea pig. So wait and see if it happens again?
This just happened to me today and don’t know where to start
Appreciate 0