F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW's ridiculous options pricing
Extreme Powerhouse

02-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #23
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
What I want to know is when did BMW start selling an "M340i"? That car isn't supposed to be on the market until the G20 comes out in 2019. A 340i M-Sport is not an "M340i". I'm considering buying that car in 2020 after the 1st-year "bugs" are worked out.

Nonetheless, it's odd about the option packaging for this last year of the F30...but from my experience, the last year of any model BMW seems to have a lot of "options" already packaged into the car. Now they've gone from "lines" to "tiers" and the "options" and "packages" choices are few. Curious as to whether that will carry over into the G2x cars.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

I just want a damn alarm system and with all the features/packages I do have, no alarm...end rant I swear I didn't know it was optional

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #25
interceptor428
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 28i/2015 428 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I just want a damn alarm system and with all the features/packages I do have, no alarm...end rant I swear I didn't know it was optional
I agree. my 428 with m sport has NO ALARM...shame on me for assuming but my goodness
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      02-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Unless the current custom build section on the BMW's US website is wrong, BMW has gone off the deep end along with Audi with trying to force buyers to take expensive option packages in order to get something as basic and desirable as an upgraded audio system.

This is forcing me to seriously consider telling the Germans to FK OFF.

I went to the BMW site and build an M240i and to get a supposed stand-alone HK audio system option, priced at $875, you have to accept the "premium pkg" at an additional $2250. It's really fk'ing stupid.
Given the requirement of getting the prem pkg, then just include the damn HK audio system in the prem pkg and price it at $3125. The end result is the same.

The only customer who will spend less is one who doesn't want at least a decent audio system but wants the Prem Pkg. items.

I have no need for NAV and thus have no need for BMW's Prem Pkg.
I do and always have picked the best audio option I can get.
And, BMW's HK system isn't that great in the first place.
It's decent, but I've heard standard item audio systems in cars that include it in the base price.
Audi does the same BS with their A3/S3.

BMW's pricing for the 3 series Msport is even more stupid-er.
A 330i Msport base with only adding HK audio, which requires paying for $2900 for it plus $875 for the HK audio, results in an MSRP of $49,325.
An M340i Msport base with no added options includes the HK audio system and has an MSRP of $49,500.
For someone like me who has no need for NAV, there is no reason to not get the M340i over a 330i Msport, none.

My 2016 M340i Msport has only added leather, M adaptive suspensino, and HK audio and came in around $51K.
A current 2018 M340i with same features, plus adding the 4/50K Ultimate Care +1, to get the same maintenance as mine, has an MSRP of $52,600.
Not a crazy increase for a 2 model year newer M340i.

But, the options packaging has become really stupid and expensive for the so called "lower priced" 3 series.

Yes, for me, something this seemingly minor ticks me off, because I expect a high quality audio system in a "near luxury" car. The HK audio should be the standard audio system in N.A market, or a true stand alone option as it was.
BMW and Audi are going to lose some of us because of their stupidity and greed, as if it's something new to the Germans.
Suck it up
they know we want their cars
so they rake us over the coals til were done, giveup, fork over the dough for xtras we dont really want nor need
and yet still come out with a smile somehow
yea I forgot that whole fiasco when buying.. now just the enjoying
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #27
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor428 View Post
I agree. my 428 with m sport has NO ALARM...shame on me for assuming but my goodness
Shame on you? More like shame on BMW! This is something that has been standard across the board for how long? It's like saying a damn front airbag is optional or even worse, remote entry! (not keyless GO) I love "showing that feature off" too as it says a LOT about BMW People just laugh when I literally show them there is nothing at all, not even a chirp to confirm I locked it!

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Shame on you? More like shame on BMW! This is something that has been standard across the board for how long? It's like saying a damn front airbag is optional or even worse, remote entry! (not keyless GO) I love "showing that feature off" too as it says a LOT about BMW People just laugh when I literally show them there is nothing at all, not even a chirp to confirm I locked it!
What’s that saying about assuming?
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      02-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #29
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
What’s that saying about assuming?
it's an opinion chill lol

In regards to the alarm, I'm not the only one and am most likely in the majority if you took a poll on all non-owners! Who the hell would think ANY BMW would come without an alarm?

Last edited by jeffc83; 02-21-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #30
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I’d much rather pay $2800 for a ML system than $2800 for a HK System.
Why? Because the Mark Levinson brand is more prestigious than Harman Kardon? Mark Levinson the man himself sold off his company years ago. It’s part of Harman International by the way. Then again it may sound better. I can’t say as I haven’t heard the Lexus system.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #31
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Why? Because the Mark Levinson brand is more prestigious than Harman Kardon? Mark Levinson the man himself sold off his company years ago. It’s part of Harman International by the way. Then again it may sound better. I can’t say as I haven’t heard the Lexus system.
I shot that Mark Levinson system down over and over then I listened to it with open ears...I would pay 2800 for it.

Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4490.00
      02-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #32
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

^

What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      02-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #33
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
I shot that Mark Levinson system down over and over then I listened to it with open ears...I would pay 2800 for it.
Thanks for the info. Must audition.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      03-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
What I want to know is when did BMW start selling an "M340i"? That car isn't supposed to be on the market until the G20 comes out in 2019. A 340i M-Sport is not an "M340i". I'm considering buying that car in 2020 after the 1st-year "bugs" are worked out.

Nonetheless, it's odd about the option packaging for this last year of the F30...but from my experience, the last year of any model BMW seems to have a lot of "options" already packaged into the car. Now they've gone from "lines" to "tiers" and the "options" and "packages" choices are few. Curious as to whether that will carry over into the G2x cars.
Corrected my post to offset your sarcasm and confusion.
However, I'm quite positive that you were not confused as your wrote that rhetorical question.

It was my mistake on putting "M" in front of the 340i, as I had the M240i on my mind, because that model has the same options strategy. I was doing a build in the M240i as an option for my next BMW.
This is not the last year of the current 2.
In last year models BMW typically includes some previous stand alone options, but the price isn't raise. It's incentive to purchase the remaining model year. What they did this time is to effectively bundle and raise the price, thus no incentive imo.

It's an audio upgrade. An $875 upgrade before.
Now, if one wants to the upgraded HK audio, the cost is $3775.
It's ridiculous to offer the HK as an option, when you can't purchase it without getting the Premium Tier package.
Since that is the case, then include the HK audio into that price and call it a day instead of making look like it's a stand alone option.

If BMW wanted to add incentive to customers to buy the last model year, then they should have included the HK audio into the Premium Tier price of $2900, making the HK audio a no cost incentive.

As for the G20 M340i, that will be the comparable new version to the current 340i Msport, BMW simply move the "M" as it won't be a "package" for the G20 for the inline-6 version.

Last edited by RPM90; 03-12-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #35
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

BMW's option tiers are 100% nickel and diming, pure and simple. Nothing else. I like VW's model. There are like 3 trim levels. My wife's Tiguan is the base, base trim, the S - $25k small SUV. Standard it comes with comfort access (kessy as they call it), heated seats, auto dimming mirrors, full power driver seat, split fold down rear seats, automatic headlights, streaming BT touchscreen head unit etc. In 2017, apple car play and all that is standard. This stuff comes on the base model because guess what, this is commonplace tech now, not 'luxury' and everyone wants that shit. ONLY on a BMW site does some schmuck who just dropped $45000 on a small sedan with a 4 cyl engine try to rationalize how he doesn't really need comfort access or heated seats or headlights that don't completely suck, because you know, he's a 'driving enthusiast'. You know how much all those basic options my wife's car came with standard would cost on a BMW, especially an entry level 320? You want a 320i with back seats that fold down, map pockets on the back of the seats (literally astounding this isn't standard), heated, power seats and a few other bells and whistles that come on a base Hyundai Elantra? Guess what, your 320 just pushed over $42000. Total, utter bullshit.

Do like like 3 trims like everyone else (S, SE, SEL) or whatever and each of those come with a grip of stuff and then have some standalone options and call it a da7. The other day I posted that the G20 new 320i is rumored to have 204HP stock, up from the current pathetic 180, and more torque, and that I would consider that as a daily driver. Then I remembered, wait a minute, no I won't, because in BMW world, if you want keyless entry and power seats, suddenly your 320i costs as much as a 328 and there you go. I mean, to go with a 320, you have to be ok with manual seats. Manual fucking seats?! What is this, Syria?! Manual seats, unheated, halogens that are the worst in the business and a steering wheel that doesn't belong on a base level KIA, let a lone a $36000 BMW? Seriously? And BMW loyalists are such lemmings that you'll get guys trying to rationalize how HAPPY they were to pay $36k for a car with manual seats because it... ready for this... SAVES WEIGHT?!

Its like bro, don't buy a godamn 340i and then try and tell me its ok the car doesn't have heated seats because you live in CA and 'never use them anyway', or some such nonsense. If the Chevy Aveo at the airport Hertz has them, then your godamn overpriced Kraut rocket should have them too. And if doesn't, you're getting fleeced.

Hahaha. Insanity. Sheer madness.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #36
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I would be okay with manual seats in a heartbeat. Who needs to hit a button to move it back and forth? Are people really that lazy? As for heated seats..as mentioned, SoCal averages about 72 or so degrees over the year. I need heated seats 'why'? To not use? I'd click the option delete box for both of the above without hesitation if provided.

To me: Best headlight/taillight system
Best stereo
Best braking system. (Didn't go M-brakes but stock actually are quite good)
Best suspension
Biggest engine. (I broke this rule on my 428. Won't do that again)
Best Seats (I have sport seats)

The rest is just fluff. Don't need Nav,heated seats, leather, auto nose wiping system etc.
      03-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #37
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Up here in the great white north, Audi allows you to option some additional airbags in some of their cars for about $500...I don't mind being nickeled and dimed for creature comforts, but it's pretty low when you're doing it for something like airbags.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #38
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
BMW's option tiers are 100% nickel and diming, pure and simple. Nothing else. I like VW's model. There are like 3 trim levels. My wife's Tiguan is the base, base trim, the S - $25k small SUV. Standard it comes with comfort access (kessy as they call it), heated seats, auto dimming mirrors, full power driver seat, split fold down rear seats, automatic headlights, streaming BT touchscreen head unit etc. In 2017, apple car play and all that is standard. This stuff comes on the base model because guess what, this is commonplace tech now, not 'luxury' and everyone wants that shit. ONLY on a BMW site does some schmuck who just dropped $45000 on a small sedan with a 4 cyl engine try to rationalize how he doesn't really need comfort access or heated seats or headlights that don't completely suck, because you know, he's a 'driving enthusiast'. You know how much all those basic options my wife's car came with standard would cost on a BMW, especially an entry level 320? You want a 320i with back seats that fold down, map pockets on the back of the seats (literally astounding this isn't standard), heated, power seats and a few other bells and whistles that come on a base Hyundai Elantra? Guess what, your 320 just pushed over $42000. Total, utter bullshit.

Do like like 3 trims like everyone else (S, SE, SEL) or whatever and each of those come with a grip of stuff and then have some standalone options and call it a da7. The other day I posted that the G20 new 320i is rumored to have 204HP stock, up from the current pathetic 180, and more torque, and that I would consider that as a daily driver. Then I remembered, wait a minute, no I won't, because in BMW world, if you want keyless entry and power seats, suddenly your 320i costs as much as a 328 and there you go. I mean, to go with a 320, you have to be ok with manual seats. Manual fucking seats?! What is this, Syria?! Manual seats, unheated, halogens that are the worst in the business and a steering wheel that doesn't belong on a base level KIA, let a lone a $36000 BMW? Seriously? And BMW loyalists are such lemmings that you'll get guys trying to rationalize how HAPPY they were to pay $36k for a car with manual seats because it... ready for this... SAVES WEIGHT?!

Its like bro, don't buy a godamn 340i and then try and tell me its ok the car doesn't have heated seats because you live in CA and 'never use them anyway', or some such nonsense. If the Chevy Aveo at the airport Hertz has them, then your godamn overpriced Kraut rocket should have them too. And if doesn't, you're getting fleeced.

Manual seats. Reminds me of an old beater truck I drove many years ago. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #39
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post

If you wanna be a baller you're gonna have to do without some options.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:38 AM   #40
TylerMcCraw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30

You guys are insane. I have owned 2 f30's, One with H/K and one without. I will never listen to that base audio again, It SUCKS. H/K is amazing.
      03-13-2018, 01:21 AM   #41
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMcCraw View Post
You guys are insane. I have owned 2 f30's, One with H/K and one without. I will never listen to that base audio again, It SUCKS. H/K is amazing.
Mine has HK, it is standard on 340. It sounded like shit but it was okay after adjusting the equalizer. We also get moon roof and the bigger engine of course as well as comfort access,SAT with paddles shifters, and auto wipers. MY18 M-Sport package is available without an increase in price over sport line or no line (not sure if they even have that on 340). Shadow line costs more than M-Sport which makes no sense I did a poll on here and 45 people said M-sport was better than shadow line and like 3 said they would prefer shadow line. Would be interested to see how many of the shadow line they are moving. We also get the climate control in the back seat, split folding rear seats with pass through (though this setup makes the valet locking system completely irrelevant and easy to defeat), as well as 18" rims are standard. We don't get heated seats though (part of an option package) and like all F30 no sync in the dual zone climate control, no adjustable seatbelt anchors or comfort access on rear doors. Base price is below $50K by BMW standards it's fairly well equipped considering you can get 328i/330i with most of those options and it will cost more than base 340.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ine+OR+M-sport

Last edited by bimmer456; 03-13-2018 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #42
joekreate
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMcCraw View Post
H/K is great. Picked up my 2014 335i about 6 weeks ago (first bimmer, woo!) but I too have already quickly learned how crazy their options packages are.

Even simple things that I actually didn't care about I realized weren't complete, such as my car that supposedly has the 'cold weather package' which is really just heated seats (not steering wheel or mirros). I'm in LA so that wasn't a selling point, but to later find out they actually divy it up that tediously.

Then the whole parking assist vs automatic parking, was under the impression I had that feature but no, just get the little beeps when I'm about to hit things, haha. Just pretty wild how much research you need to do because these cars, especially when used have just been cherry picked to the smallest of details worth of features and assumptions are probably the worst thing you could ever do, even when you're actually reading a feature you're getting, find out the full extent of it because apparently there's 'tiers' of packages as well. Oh well, still loving my new 335, but lesson learned for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #43
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
I would be okay with manual seats in a heartbeat. Who needs to hit a button to move it back and forth? Are people really that lazy? As for heated seats..as mentioned, SoCal averages about 72 or so degrees over the year. I need heated seats 'why'? To not use? I'd click the option delete box for both of the above without hesitation if provided.

Best stereo
Best suspension

The rest is just fluff. Don't need Nav,heated seats, leather, auto nose wiping system etc.
Well said.

I actually prefer to be able to skip paying for options I don't have any interest in. I like my manual seats - more control and a lower seating position. Plus no flimsy motorized thigh support to break like in my 550i. In my 135i, manual seats were a must as they are much better to let kids in and out of the back.

Sunroof, I have had several and just never used them anymore.

I specifically don't want the bumper pimples of parking assist, don't need a backup camera and certainly don't want to pay extra for drivers aids.

I'm cool with a la carte. I know what I want in a car and am happy to be able to option it that way and am patient enough to order and wait for the right car for me.

If they include or package these extra options as standard, you would still be paying for them. Do some of you actually think they are going to take less profit margin on a car with more stuff, nope, that's where most car makers get their highest margin.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #44
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post

Best stereo
Best suspension

Dude, its a 'luxury car'.
But anyway, Proved my point, they got to you and you think its reasonable that a $40-$55000 car doesnt have these basic options. Use them or don't use them but this is basic shit and having to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars extra for them is absurd. I live in SoCal, it is easily in the 40s and 50s many winter mornings and anyway, heated seats feel good driving at night with sunroof (yeah, I have one of those technological marvels too) open. Heated seats rule. Nice on the back too and chicks love them. If you ever have women in your car, they love the heated seats. I mean really, you want the dead blank buttons on your $50k car? Its ridiculous. Center stack with blank, dead plastic buttons cuz you didn't want to spring for tech that comes in a $15k Elantra..

How about we make power windows an option? Why not, some BMW loyalists would pay it. "Yeah, I sprung for the convenience package on my m3 because I didn't want to have to lean over across the passenger side to roll the window up. It was only $2300 but the car still has halogens with reflector housings like my 85 Prelude had in highschool. It was totally worth it though because my adaptive M sport suspension and 400HP engine don't mean shit when I'm sitting in traffic with everyone else, pretty much all of the time."

Basically BMW is like one of these ridiculously priced chain steakhouses like Morton's where everything is a la carte, nothing is exceptional but the food is pretty good, a steak costs $65 and a side of broccoli that was clearly just steamed with zero care or thought for flavor, costs $15. I bring up Morton's because I went there for dinner last night with a friend and it was like $279 for 2 people and my steak was overcooked. That is BMW. Overcooked decent steak with a side of mashed potatoes that costs $20.

And yes, the base audio pretty much blows. I listen to podcasts and talk radio mainly so I don't care much, but yeah... not great

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 03-13-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0