F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Considering a 335i GT but surprised by the lack of adoption
ARMA SPEED

05-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
greydout
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4

Considering a 335i GT but surprised by the lack of adoption

I'm currently driving a 2014 Audi S4. I have a 3 year old girl and probably about to have another kid. My wife wants us to have a car more family oriented and having 2 cars in San Francisco doesn't make much sense. So, I've been shopping around and have looked at the Cayenne, Macan, SQ5, X5, and X6. Last weekend I stumbled across the 335 GT and was kind of blown away by the amount of utility I can get while still having a "car." I rarely see them on the road and wonder why?

I'm not seeing a ton of aftermarket mods for this car, am I missing something? Anyone get the Dinan tune? Are there any other tunes out there? Is Dinan the one recommended?

How about exhaust mods? I haven't seen many. Looks like Supersprint makes one.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

The 3-series GT is an amazing car, and we are starting to see more on the streets as more people realise how versatile it is.

I think a lot of people shy away from it because of the reputation the 5-GT had. Never even gave the 3-GT a chance. And for some reason, it seems like anything resembling a "hatch", "hatchback", "wagon", etc. automatically gets the cold shoulder by a lot of Americans, while they are usually embraced by Europeans.

I love my GT. I'd urge you to give it a good look.

As far as mods go, yes, we are getting little love from BMW. The M-Performance tune is available for the N55 engine (335i model), but you also have choices from other runners, including Dinan, who is the only non-OEM tuner BMW recognizes, and doesn't void warranty.

I think other mods are slowly trickling out, and others are starting to make some aftermarket mood for the GT as they become more popular.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

HI - is there an equivalent to Dinan for the UK (who are BMW warranty recognised)?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
greydout
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4

Is there much of a performance difference before the M-Performance and Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep

Sorry, can't tell you... they both publish conservative numbers, and I only have a Dinan tunes 328iX.... not the 335i.

And the M-Perf tune for the N20 engine is available in Europe but not in North America... go figure.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #6
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784 View Post
Sorry, can't tell you... they both publish conservative numbers, and I only have a Dinan tunes 328iX.... not the 335i.

And the M-Perf tune for the N20 engine is available in Europe but not in North America... go figure.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I have the MPPK and it is on the mild side on this car... It adds mostly top end power. Here in the states its a bit of a waste. The Jb4 is nice and easy to install (stage 1). Gives better low end grunt.

We love the 335GT. I would recommend Msport, DHP - dynamic handling package and Msport brakes. With those items this car is a great family car as well as afun mountain carver. It really handles nice for its size when you are in Sport mode. We have the 19in wheels as well.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

If you get the DHP, I highly recommend Dinan Shockware if you want it to ride like a BMW (unless you plan to drive in sport mode all the time).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My 328GT is a totally stock base model. It may not ride and handle like an upgraded model, but it still rides and handled better than any other car I've ever owned, and I really wouldn't want the ride any more firm than it is. If I wanted something that handles the road better than it does I wouldn't have bought the GT in the first place, I'd have bought a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My 328GT is a totally stock base model. It may not ride and handle like an upgraded model, but it still rides and handled better than any other car I've ever owned, and I really wouldn't want the ride any more firm than it is. If I wanted something that handles the road better than it does I wouldn't have bought the GT in the first place, I'd have bought a Z4.
Do you have the DHP? If not, your ride is almost certainly a bit more firm than stock DHP in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
My local dealer can't keep up with demand. They have stopped putting them in the showroom - just leave it on the way in. People stop look and say hey it is a car with the space of an SUV and a higher seating position. Sold!

In the last month I have had two X3 (E83) owners ask me about it and say that they will replace their SUVs with a GT.

Unfortunately they are in low supply in Canada, and there is no advertising...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Do you have the DHP?
No.
Quote:
If not, your ride is almost certainly a bit more firm than stock DHP in comfort mode.
Whatever. I'm quite satisfied with it as it is. Juts like all of the rest of the features of the car I find the ride to be in the Goldilocks Zone: it's just right. Not too hard, not too soft.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 01:40 AM   #13
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
If you get the DHP, I highly recommend Dinan Shockware if you want it to ride like a BMW (unless you plan to drive in sport mode all the time).
I now have shockwave, and I love it... Changed the way the car handles completely. Feels much more planned, stable, but comfortable still. A whole different beast.

Of course, yes, if I wanted a more performance oriented car, I may have gotten a 3, waited for a 4, or even saved up for an M-car. But the fact of the matter is, that I need a car with versatility - cargo space for utility, rear leg room for family and baby car seat, but I still want it to be fun to drive.

Just because I got a heavier, larger car, doesn't mean I don't want to have fun either. I wish I had the resources and the parking space to have more than 2 cars in the family (mine and wife's), but I don't, and a tuned GT ticks most of my boxes.

(Do I have slight buyers remorse for not going 335iX GT instead? Maybe... But I'm loving my car anyhow, and that's what matters to me right now.)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
I now have shockwave, and I love it... Changed the way the car handles completely. Feels much more planned, stable, but comfortable still. A whole different beast.

Of course, yes, if I wanted a more performance oriented car, I may have gotten a 3, waited for a 4, or even saved up for an M-car. But the fact of the matter is, that I need a car with versatility - cargo space for utility, rear leg room for family and baby car seat, but I still want it to be fun to drive.

Just because I got a heavier, larger car, doesn't mean I don't want to have fun either. I wish I had the resources and the parking space to have more than 2 cars in the family (mine and wife's), but I don't, and a tuned GT ticks most of my boxes.

(Do I have slight buyers remorse for not going 335iX GT instead? Maybe... But I'm loving my car anyhow, and that's what matters to me right now.)
Hey bud. I'm picking up my 335 GT tomorrow. Any update on the shockware since May. You're still loving it! I heard Eco pro/comfort is 15% stiffer with the shockware, in that case is it still a comfortable drive? Mind you I'll have the staggered summer 19's on mine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0