F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Maybe I should have got the Adaptive Sport Suspension... :(
GetBMWParts

01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #45
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
No and I also don't have a diesel.
Oh dear. You're missing out on two counts.
      01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Oh dear. You're missing out on two counts.
Don't tell me you have the Auto tranny too. LOL
      01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #47
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't tell me you have the Auto tranny too. LOL
'Course I do as auto is standard! A manual tranny will fall to bits with the high torque levels.

Now, is there anything else but an 8-speed sporting tranny to speedily and seamlessly shift a high torque 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel BMW with style towards the horizon? For me, not.

My first auto and I'll never, ever go manual again. I even have paddles which I love to bits. It's everything for a modern motoring experience. I just cannot go back to a clunking manual tranny. So last Tuesday.

Oh, ETTO.
      01-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #48
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Between which two settings? Sport and Comfort are very different on my car.
Sport and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #49
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
'Course I do! Is there anything else but an 8-speed sporting tranny to speedily and seamlessly shift a high torque 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel BMW with style towards the horizon? For me not.

My first auto and I'll never, ever go manual again. I even have paddles which I love to bits. It's everything for a modern motoring experience. I just cannot go back to a clunking manual tranny. So last Tuesday.

Oh, ETTO.
Amen Brother!
      01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #50
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Amen Brother!
Amen to thee too my BMW Brother!
May the light of Heaven shine upon us!
      01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #51
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Although I have nothing negative to say about Adaptive suspension, I wish I hadn't ordered it. There isn't a huge difference between the two settings, and I prefer Sport setting in just about all situations.
Well I stand corrected. To me I can tell big time but then again I push my car hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #52
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Well I stand corrected. To me I can tell big time but then again I push my car hard.
So do I that's exactly why I like it on SPORT all the time, so the comfort setting is useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #53
Id
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
'Course I do as auto is standard! A manual tranny will fall to bits with the high torque levels.

Now, is there anything else but an 8-speed sporting tranny to speedily and seamlessly shift a high torque 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel BMW with style towards the horizon? For me, not.

Oh, ETTO.
I'm struggling with this choice at the mo.

I have a manual Golf R so resisted the DSG lure but now I'm not so sure...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #54
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
So do I that's exactly why I like it on SPORT all the time, so the comfort setting is useless.
This.

Exactly why i didnt get adaptive. That and I knew i would be swapping the suspension out with the performance suspension, for me there wasn't a point.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #55
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Remember that adaptive - in Sport mode - is stiffer and more controlled than the normal M Sport suspension, so even if you don't use the Comfort mode, having the Adaptive in Sport will still give you better performance.

I was also expecting a bigger difference between the two modes, I was hoping Comfort would be even softer than it is; but overall I'm pretty happy with the two modes, and I'm glad I got it.
      02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #56
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Remember that adaptive - in Sport mode - is stiffer and more controlled than the normal M Sport suspension, so even if you don't use the Comfort mode, having the Adaptive in Sport will still give you better performance.

I was also expecting a bigger difference between the two modes, I was hoping Comfort would be even softer than it is; but overall I'm pretty happy with the two modes, and I'm glad I got it.
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.

BTW how much is the Performance Suspension?
      02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #57
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.

About 1500 plus install. I really like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #58
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
About 1500 plus install. I really like it.
Very tempting. Does the Dealer have to do it? edit: and what's a good price for the install?
      02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #59
rado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:

Pretty tough to get data considering the increase in stiffness is due to the valving in the shock, not the springs. You could pull a front and rear shock each from a "sport" and adaptive sport model, mount each (in turn) in a shock dyno, and somehow rig the electronic valve adjustment for the "adaptive" shocks (any volunteers ), but even then all you would get is the damping curves for static valve settings, whereas the shock valving is continuously adjusted when in use. Back-to-back drives on the same course with all else same (including tires) is the most practical way to compare, but of course that's subjective.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #60
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very tempting. Does the Dealer have to do it? edit: and what's a good price for the install?
An independent can install but that might affect your warranty with regard to suspension. Probably not a big deal. It's a standard spring and shock swap. BMW suggests 8hours install time in their material. So a dealer cost could be 1000-2000 to install. 500 or so for an independent
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #61
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:

You don't need raw data. Drive both and go with what you like. I drove a Sportline, M Sport, and then a Modern with Adaptive. The Adaptive to me feels stiffer in Sport then the other two. Beside that and the Quick Ratio steering to me is much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #62
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

'Passive M Sport Suspension' lowers the ride height by 10 mm and has a harder ride than 'Passive Standard Suspension'. With the former, the car rolls less when cornering and feels more sporty and planted.

'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' has the same 10 mm lowered ride height as 'Passive M Sport Suspension'.

'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' in 'Comfort Mode' has a smoother ride than 'Passive Standard Suspension'. The car rolls less when cornering thereby feeling more sporty and planted.

'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' in 'Sport Mode' has a harder ride than 'Passive M Sport Suspension'. The car rolls less when cornering with the former and feels more sporty and planted.

There is a difference between 'Comfort Mode' and 'Sport Mode', but it is not excessive. 'Comfort Mode' provides a less jarring ride and is my preferred setting on our terrible UK roads.

IMO, 'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' provides the driver with a win-win situation.

My car runs on 18" wheels.
      02-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #63
Bman925
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
Seen it? You seem to have it!! I just picked mine back up 10 minutes ago. Love it! Looks like you got the whole kit. I'd like to check out that rear diffuser.

Sorry to be a bit off topic but what color is your car? It looks too dark of a blue to be estoril but maybe its the light thats reflecting in an odd way. :P
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #64
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

I can tell a good difference between comfort and sport setting. After test driving a sportline 335i I was a little disappointed in the cars suspension in hard cornering and transistion response. I felt as though it did not handle as well as my e92 sport package. Driving an m adaptive car changed that opinion completely. The sport setting brought the handling back to what I expected while maintaining a much smoother ride than my e92. It is the best of both worlds. At first it will fool you into believing the suspension is soft because it is so smooth but once you start pushing hard in the corners you realize it is still the same great performer. I would not have bought the car without m adaptive. I respect that some might not feel this way as their daily drives might not involve twisty mountain roads as mine does. Our 335is kind of a stripper in that it only has m sport,heated seats,dynamic handling and maual transmission, but it still drives like a world class automobile.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #65
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman925 View Post
Sorry to be a bit off topic but what color is your car? It looks too dark of a blue to be estoril but maybe its the light thats reflecting in an odd way. :P
Congratulations! The most off topic post ever!
Adjust your computer screen. THAT IS EBII.
      02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #66
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
I can tell a good difference between comfort and sport setting. After test driving a sportline 335i I was a little disappointed in the cars suspension in hard cornering and transistion response. I felt as though it did not handle as well as my e92 sport package. Driving an m adaptive car changed that opinion completely. The sport setting brought the handling back to what I expected while maintaining a much smoother ride than my e92. It is the best of both worlds. At first it will fool you into believing the suspension is soft because it is so smooth but once you start pushing hard in the corners you realize it is still the same great performer. I would not have bought the car without m adaptive. I respect that some might not feel this way as their daily drives might not involve twisty mountain roads as mine does. Our 335is kind of a stripper in that it only has m sport,heated seats,dynamic handling and maual transmission, but it still drives like a world class automobile.
Nicely put. I agree with you wholeheartedly. M Sport Adaptive Suspension rules. Just love it to bits.