F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > AC turning on everytime I start the car!
ARMA SPEED

09-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
josb0513
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBroady View Post
That shouldn't be a problem. Afaik runs the AC on battery power most of the time and the battery only gets charged when it absolutly has to, or when there is enough extra power available (braking, decellerating, crusing). The generator usually is of during accelerations and the startup of the engine.

This is supposed to be part of the efficient dynamics BMW has introduced a while back.
Thank you guys. Well noted!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
So is there any proven way to prevent the HVAC system from turning on everytime you start the car?

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^^^^bump^^^^

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by josb0513
Hello everyone.

It's time for me to ask this question myself.

Everytime I start my car, it automatically turns on my AC to a set temperature. Doesn't matter whether I have it on "off" before I turn off the car it always comes back on when I get back in the car.

After reading many different posts some are saying that it's standard, and some said it's to do with my key fob. Something about my key fob remembering my profile & style.

I believe it's something to do with my key fob as well since 2 of my key fob turns on AC at two different settings.

Now my question is how do I reset or override it so I can start my car without having to physically turn off the AC everytime I get in my car.

I've tried playing with seat position memory setting. I click on "m" and set it on "1" as well as "2" with AC off. But next morning AC came back on. Then I've tried it on my spare fob, nothing changed.

Help please
Oh, the irony! I am willing to bet that if I designed a system to turn off the AC on all BMWs whenever it is not needed that my design would save 5x the energy, pollution, and maintenance as ASS.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
That is standard on every car I've ever driven.
My 335i does NOT do this.

Also, I never use "auto" mode either.
I don't like how the 'auto' HVAC thinks.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josb0513 View Post
Thank you guys. Well noted!
It's function of "cycling" the compressor.

Even thought the AC light may be on, that doesn't mean the compressor has been engaged.
So, the engine is started, AC light is on, but waits to engage the compressor until the big yet short starter current draw is done.

As for degrading air quality in the cabin, that happens more with leaving the "recirculation" in 'closed' mode, which means the air in the cabin is being recirculated rather than allowing fresh air to come in.

If you engage the "Max AC" function, the recirc vents are automatically close so as to recirc the cabin air to help cool that air quicker.
BUT, you don't want to recirc cabin air for too long as it will become stagnant, and can cause condensation on the inside to happen quicker.

I use Max AC only on very very hot and humid summer days and I turn it off after 5 minutes, as the cars cools and dehumidifies pretty quickly.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
So is there any proven way to prevent the HVAC system from turning on everytime you start the car?
Yes.

Make sure to set the system where you want it to default on start up, then use the "memory" buttons on the side of you seat.
Press the "M" button to activate memory storage, then press one of the two buttons to assign it to. It will also code the fob you currently have and when you use that fob again the settings should go to your default set at the time you stored it in memory.

The procedure is in your manual as well.
In the 3 BMW's I've owned, sometimes it takes one or two tries to get it to "take". One of those BMW features.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
BenzWorld
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yes.

Make sure to set the system where you want it to default on start up, then use the "memory" buttons on the side of you seat.
Press the "M" button to activate memory storage, then press one of the two buttons to assign it to. It will also code the fob you currently have and when you use that fob again the settings should go to your default set at the time you stored it in memory.

In the 3 BMW's I've owned, sometimes it takes one or two tries to get it to "take". One of those BMW features.
So glad this question was asked...

I can confirm that this procedure does indeed work, but I would add that I had to press and hold the number 1 button for a few good seconds before the settings took effect (in my case, the A/C would turn on to 60 degrees).
      09-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
RPM90, please advise as to where in the manual this is located. I'm trying to find the procedure because I can't seem to get it to work for my car after trying the steps you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #32
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I've tried the seat memory option a couple of times, and the system still turns on every time I start the car. I've tried pretty much everything to get the HVAC system to NOT turn on when I start the car. I've switched profiles, switched keys, saved seat settings in both slots, and done everything I can think of, and the system still turns on when I turn on the ignition. I have an AH3, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Last edited by TN_3; 09-23-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #33
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

It amazes me that my two biggest gripes with my f30 have nothing to do with driving: climate control always defaulting to "on" when I start my car, and not being able to sync the driver and passenger temperatures...

I may be naive, but I just don't understand why every new $20k econo-box has these features, and my $55k 335i doesn't.

I'll definitely try the memory button routine again tomorrow; didn't work for me the first time around either...
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #34
mkl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

It has been more than a year since the last post, has anyone found any solution since then?
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #35
sevalley
Rep
Drives: 430i Grand Coupe

I just got my new 428i and this was the only issue I've yet noticed, the stupid A/C automatically turns on EVERY TIME I start the car. I always have to hit off right after starting the car. I searched these forums and only found this thread, which luckily got revived today by mkl. The seat memory setting will work to set it to a certain temp, but will not work to have it OFF. I have a couple friends who have had a bmw for years and cant figure it out either. Please no replies of "why the hell wouldnt you want the AC on??". We just don't, and its ridiculous that BMW forces you to start the car with it on without a fix for this.
      11-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #36
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

Yes it is possible to have your AC remember your last setting , or stay off when u turn it off. You will have to code it though
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #37
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

The default to nearly every German car I've been in is to have the AC on at all times. I'd guess this is mainly to reduce moisture content in the air to reduce to the likelihood of mold formation and to reduce moisture content in interior components.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #38
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Mine is set to auto with ac off and fan on 2 and it stays there on startup. No coding has been done
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #39
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I have yet to find a way to start the car with no fan AND no AC running. The fan ALWAYS turns on with the start of the car. The ac wont turn on unless i press it but in the winter time even with only the fan turning on its still cold and unpleasant sometimes. This is my first car that doesnt give me an option to turn the car on without the fan or ac on. Even my audi doesnt do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #40
sevalley
Rep
Drives: 430i Grand Coupe

No other car I've ever heard of automatically starts an AC/Fan when you turn it on, unless you hit a button to turn it on. I hate AC/Fan in cars. I am a NOOB here, what is coding? Does that mean I have to hook up a laptop to my car with a special cable to change settings? Will this also turn on the ability for my key fob to raise all my windows by holding down lock?
      11-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #41
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevalley View Post
No other car I've ever heard of automatically starts an AC/Fan when you turn it on, unless you hit a button to turn it on. I hate AC/Fan in cars. I am a NOOB here, what is coding? Does that mean I have to hook up a laptop to my car with a special cable to change settings? Will this also turn on the ability for my key fob to raise all my windows by holding down lock?
Yes and yes. U will also need a special software
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #42
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevalley View Post
Yeah, the A/C comes on to dehumidify the car. The car can be coded to leave the A/C off if it was off the last time you turned the car off.

Yes, coding will allow you to raise the windows by holding down the lock.

PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #43
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

My BMW's have always had issues with fogging up so perhaps that's why.

Usually if leaving auto climate mode on though, AC will turn off after some time.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #44
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by josb0513
Hello everyone.

It's time for me to ask this question myself.

Everytime I start my car, it automatically turns on my AC to a set temperature. Doesn't matter whether I have it on "off" before I turn off the car it always comes back on when I get back in the car.

After reading many different posts some are saying that it's standard, and some said it's to do with my key fob. Something about my key fob remembering my profile & style.

I believe it's something to do with my key fob as well since 2 of my key fob turns on AC at two different settings.

Now my question is how do I reset or override it so I can start my car without having to physically turn off the AC everytime I get in my car.

I've tried playing with seat position memory setting. I click on "m" and set it on "1" as well as "2" with AC off. But next morning AC came back on. Then I've tried it on my spare fob, nothing changed.

Help please
Bmw forces the AC to stay ON for one reason:

If bmw allowed owners to turn off AC then they will get countless call that their lux sedan smells like dirty socks.

Then, the class action attorneys would be lining up and frothing at the mouth to force bmw to own up to the stanky ventilation.

Or;

BMW could just force the AC to stay on---problem solved, class action averted, no Seinfeldesque shows starring a stinky BMW.

And, that's what they did.
Appreciate 0