F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock F30 335i Axle Back Exhaust Muffler Modification and Dissection
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #133
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

If anyone wants a stock x35i muffler call United BMW Roswell. They just might still have mine laying around.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #134
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet
If anyone wants a stock x35i muffler call United BMW Roswell. They just might still have mine laying around.
How much?? I may be interested in a stock one.
      03-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #135
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff7877
Anyone try this on a stock 328i/428i muffler? I had considered getting the 428i MPE but no way with that price tag. I've considered other options but there's such an unknown factor with the final outcome. I don't want to drop $500 plus for a muffler but I'd love to get a better sound.

Thanks and great write up and videos!
Not that I know of. Most people on the 28i cars just do the dual exhaust conversion with the diffuser.

This one for example is on a 228i using a Stock M135i. Sounds very good. The best setup I ever heard was on a 228i with a 335/435i M performance muffler. It sounded amazing but I can't find the link.

Here is the link to the 1st mod I was referring to;

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032968
      03-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #136
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
You have to call the dealership.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #137
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet
Quote:
You have to call the dealership.
Ok. Thx
      04-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #138
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Just having this done, local shop charged 300 to do the whole job start to finish. Picking it up tomorrow, pumped!
      06-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #139
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Just curious, has anyone dissected the MPE? How do the insides compare with stock?
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=exhaust
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #140
E30RedF30Blue
Rep
Drives: F30 335i / E30 325ic

Going to try this. Anyone know how easy it is to put a new OEM muffler on at lease turn in? By that I mean can you clamp on the modified one without actually doing a weld and then take it right off and put the OEM one back on with a proper weld?

Results will be posted once done. I am planning on taking out all of the dampening material and sealing all the holes. I have the mppk as well and I haven't found a video with this combination.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #141
iSpool_N20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 328i F30

How Did you go upon cutting open the muffler?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #142
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpool_N20 View Post
rotating metal saw blade on a drill
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #143
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30RedF30Blue View Post
Going to try this. Anyone know how easy it is to put a new OEM muffler on at lease turn in? By that I mean can you clamp on the modified one without actually doing a weld and then take it right off and put the OEM one back on with a proper weld?

Results will be posted once done. I am planning on taking out all of the dampening material and sealing all the holes. I have the mppk as well and I haven't found a video with this combination.
Yes you'll be fine when you put the OEM back on, I did and no issues. I didn't even use the BMW clamp I used an advance auto one . No issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpool_N20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
rotating metal saw blade on a drill
A bosh right angle and a thin cutoff blade.
      10-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #144
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have been looking into doing this mod. I've seen all the videos for this mod but I just want to hear this mod in person. I have taken the wire out of my exhaust once, and my parents were complaining about the drone noise and vibration the car had in highway speeds every time I tapped on the gas. Will I run into that similar issue if I do this mod? I won't be driving the car as much anymore because i dorm in college and the car will be sitting at home. My mom or dad might take it out once in a while and I just don't want them to complain about it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by redbullfan; 10-03-2015 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #145
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have been looking into doing this mod. I've seen all the videos for this mod but I just want to hear this mod in person. I have taken the wire out of my exhaust once, and my parents were complaining about the drone noise and vibration the car had in highway speeds every time I tapped on the gas. Will I run into that similar issue if I do this mod? I won't be driving the car as much anymore because i dorm in college and the car will be sitting at home. My mom or dad might take it out once in a while and I just don't want them to complain about it.

Thanks in advance
I'm not sure I follow your comment on taking the wire out of the exhaust. What do you mean? You took out the spring from the butterfly valve and didn't tie it off? So it's flapping around?

As far as the drone by just doing that mod there will be none.

If you want to do the actual gutting of the muffler like I did, there will be a significant change in exhaust note. Not so much drone but it will be louder. If your parents don't like it now, they will definitely not like that because of the noise.

But it's your car who gives a hoot what anyone thinks lol

What are you trying to accomplish? Louder tone but subtle.
      10-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #146
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow your comment on taking the wire out of the exhaust. What do you mean? You took out the spring from the butterfly valve and didn't tie it off? So it's flapping around?

If you want to do the actual gutting of the muffler like I did, there will be a significant change in exhaust note. Not so much drone but it will be louder. If your parents don't like it now, they will definitely not like that because of the noise.

Lol, I meant the golf tee mod where you just unplug the exhaust flap. I wish I could do what I want to the car but the car was a gift from them to me and they told me not do any exhaust mod or engine mod to the car. I'm more worried about the cabin noise. Will the cabin noise still be like stock while cruising on the highway because when I did the golf tee mod, there was a lot of noise and vibration coming into the cabin whenever I tapped on the gas and they got very annoyed with it

Im trying to make the car a bit louder and get more of a burble

Last edited by redbullfan; 10-03-2015 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #147
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, I meant the golf tee mod where you just unplug the exhaust flap. I wish I could do what I want to the car but the car was a gift from them to me and they told me not do any exhaust mod or engine mod to the car. I'm more worried about the cabin noise. Will the cabin noise still be like stock while cruising on the highway because when I did the golf tee mod, there was a lot of noise and vibration coming into the cabin whenever I tapped on the gas and they got very annoyed with it
If this is the case and they told you not to mess with the exhaust then as tempting as it may be...don't unless you can score a used m performance muffler. It sounds nice over stock and has literally zero drone. I had one but did not cut it for me so I sold it.

Modding the stock muffler requires a lot of cutting and welding. It will never look stock again. Your folks may notice.

If you do the muffler mod and leave the golf tee mod stock there really should be no drone. The drone mainly comes from when that thing is wide open all the time.

I have a downpipe and there is definitely a nice drone. Not too bad however for me. I can also control the exhaust valve and not have to do the golf tee mod via JB4. When I close the valve it almost sounds stock.
      10-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #148
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
If this is the case and they told you not to mess with the exhaust then as tempting as it may be...don't unless you can score a used m performance muffler. It sounds nice over stock and has literally zero drone. I had one but did not cut it for me so I sold it.

Modding the stock muffler requires a lot of cutting and welding. It will never look stock again. Your folks may notice.

If you do the muffler mod and leave the golf tee mod stock there really should be no drone. The drone mainly comes from when that thing is wide open all the time.

I have a downpipe and there is definitely a nice drone. Not too bad however for me. I can also control the exhaust valve and not have to do the golf tee mod via JB4. When I close the valve it almost sounds stock.
I loved how the Modified muffler sounded more compared to the m performance and its way cheaper. I'm just worried about the car making this noise because this is what really drove them nuts

[u2b]https://youtu.be/mxHz8ZVTEgQ[/u2b]

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #149
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
dd1981 I asked a mechanic to do this for me and he had done this for a customer and the car started sputtering??

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #150
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
dd1981 I asked a mechanic to do this for me and he had done this for a customer and the car started sputtering??
I'm not sure why it would sputter after a simple mod like that. I've had this for 2 years now with no issues. And there are over a dozen forum members who eliminated the muffler all together and no issues.

The sputtering is related to something else going on with the vehicle. Does he have any other mods?
      10-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #151
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure why it would sputter after a simple mod like that. I've had this for 2 years now with no issues. And there are over a dozen forum members who eliminated the muffler all together and no issues.

The sputtering is related to something else going on with the vehicle. Does he have any other mods?
Im not sure what mods this guy had but he refused to do it for me ):

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #152
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Im not sure what mods this guy had but he refused to do it for me ):
That's interesting. I can't elaborate really without any detail on the other persons car not knowing any significant details.

But I can assure you that you can remove your whole muffler and other than getting a loud noise with drone it wouldn't change your car and make it sputter. Your back pressure will be different and one can even argue better for the turbo at WOT.
Simply plugging perforated holes that are designed to dissipate sound surely won't change your car to the point of sputtering.

You start messing with spark plugs, o2 sensors, fuel trim now we're talking drivability issues.

Something else is at play here. I know I couple other people did this with no issues.

What I would advise you is if you have doubts don't do it.
      04-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #153
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but just had a quick question. Would it be possible to just take all of the padding material out while the muffler is still on the car? My exhaust shop wants $350 for the job which i think is absolutely ridiculous considering that i got the exhaust for $100. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #154
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Against this thread's advice i had a muffler delete done. It sounds nice at WOT but at idle when the car hasn't warmed up fully, it sounds awful. Like rattling the interior loud.

I'm wondering if instead of going back to the stock muffler and modifying it, I could just add a Helmholtz resonator to the piping in the rear to achieve a somewhat similar effect?

That's essentially what modifying the OEM muffler does right?
Appreciate 0