F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
GetBMWParts

01-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #1431
jmichaelh7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunis View Post
Is there any leakage with the HIDs or LEDs. I have been reading that if the headlight enclosure and projectors are made for Halogens that there can be serious light leakage and that can cause blinding conditions for oncoming cars.
If you ordered the Depot headlights they come with the projector. They are meant for hid . Many users on this forum have posted comparison before halogen and after with hid results
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #1432
skunis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelh7 View Post
If you ordered the Depot headlights they come with the projector. They are meant for hid . Many users on this forum have posted comparison before halogen and after with hid results
Thanks. I haven't ordered anything yet but leaning towards the Depo lights. I have an LCI F30 and I want to keep it looking like LCI so I will probably wait until Depo releases the ones for my year (told sometime in the summer).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #1433
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Comp pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelh7 View Post
If you do the research , led is okay in projector headlights but does not have better output than hid. Most cars come with hid , eg Toyota Corolla. I still can’t believe those cars come with great hid
I did research, and many sources claim, CLAIM, that there is a difference between halogen projectors and true Xenon projectors. These Depot headlights ARE halogen projectors. People are retrofitting HID bulbs in to them, hence the issue mounting the bulbs in the H7 mounts.

Any opinion on the other HID options?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #1434
skunis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay77 View Post
I did research, and many sources claim, CLAIM, that there is a difference between halogen projectors and true Xenon projectors. These Depot headlights ARE halogen projectors. People are retrofitting HID bulbs in to them, hence the issue mounting the bulbs in the H7 mounts.

Any opinion on the other HID options?
That is what I read as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #1435
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

I called the guys at Retrofit Source today, great group of guys. Talked to them about adding their HID kit in to the Depot headlights. I was just going to buy the Elite kit, but they suggested I purchase everything separately. They said these ballasts work very well in European cars.

Here is what I got:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...anbus-35w.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...to-xb-hid.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h7...ros-48909.html

$140 total. Free shipping, no tax.

Everything should be here next week. I will document the assembly and install. I am also adding Fog Lights and clear side markers while the bumper is off.

Last edited by timmay77; 01-10-2018 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #1436
skunis
Private
Rep

Quote:
I called the guys at Retrofit Source today, great group of guys. Talked to them about adding their HID kit in to the Depot headlights. I was just going to buy the Elite kit, but they suggested I purchase everything separately. They said these ballasts work very well in European cars.

Here is what I got:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...anbus-35w.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...to-xb-hid.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h7...ros-48909.html

$140 total. Free shipping, no tax.

Everything should be here next week. I will document the assembly and install. I am also adding Fog Lights and clear side markers while the bumper is off.
Sweet! What about the flicker? Isn't there a product that stops the flicker?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #1437
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunis View Post
Sweet! What about the flicker? Isn't there a product that stops the flicker?
I asked about the flicker, they said these ballasts take care of that.....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #1438
skunis
Private
Rep

Quote:
I asked about the flicker, they said these ballasts take care of that.....
Fantastic! Let me know how the install goes and if there is any light leakage with the Depos and the HID.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #1439
F30wasty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sport

I got the same lights and my lights are not aimed properly after install. I am told I'm suppose to use a screw driver any one knows what screw driver size to get ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #1440
dr adequate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Just ordered mine from USR.

Would like to make a purchase for either LED or HID. I have read the halogen projectors do not project LED bulb well? Not sure of the truth in that.

I would prefer to go LED. Does anyone have a measurement of what will fit?

There are a LOT of HID choices on Amazon. Why are the Morimoto units preferred above some of the other less expensive offerings?

https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-35W...ted%2B35w&th=1

This one has a 2 year warranty:
https://www.amazon.com/XtremeVision-...B35w%2Bh7&th=1

LED option?
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headli...=hikari+35w+h7
I tried some cheap HID lights from amazon and was not impressed and I could never get them to work properly. The kit from the retro fit source was simple and I don't really have any complaints about the bulbs from them. The only issue for me is the beam pattern is not the same as oem, but other than that the headlights and bulbs are a significant upgrade from the oem halogens
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:28 AM   #1441
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30wasty View Post
I got the same lights and my lights are not aimed properly after install. I am told I'm suppose to use a screw driver any one knows what screw driver size to get ?
I used a standard cross head screwdriver.
      01-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #1442
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko99 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm very happy with the Depo Headlights as it completely changes the look of your ride!

I'm having some issues with the headlights. Below are some images of the cutoff and the other shows that the lights aren't projecting well on the road (corners are not lighten up).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocko 99
Drive up to your garage door as close as you can. Turn your headlights on and use some painters tape to mark where the center of each beam hits your garage door.
Back up straight from your driveway and watch to see if the steps (middle of the beam) of each headlight move towards the center as you back further from the garage door. If they both move inwards towards the center, it means you need to adjust the horizontal aim outwards for both. Adjust the horizontal aim of each projector so that when you back up from the garage door, it stays fixed.

Also, unless your driveway isn't level relative to your garage, it looks like the driver side wasn't mounted straight. The beam is slanted in a way that might blind oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #1443
thanhqtran2
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328xi

HID cutoff not crisp?

Bought mine from USR after the December restock. Install went well. took about 6 hrs. Things tend to take longer when its cold outside.

A couple of tips for anyone who is going to install this in the future

1) Install these when its warm outside.
2) Pre-Assemble the HIDs (if bought) before installing the headlights. This will save you a lot of time. More room to move and install that bulb.
** from reading past forms, install with the HID RETURN WIRE FACING DOWN**
3) Jack your car up from center point and take both front WHEEL and FENDER LINING off. This will give you enough room to remove and install with out the hassle of fitting your tools in tight spaces.

The only part im having trouble with is the beam pattern and the aligning the lights. I bought the Innovited HID Canbus Kit 5000k from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does this beam pattern look right? i find the cut off not crisp and it has somewhat a V shape. Has anyone else have this problem after installing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #1444
AMSWagon
Private
Rep
Drives: G63

With the canbus did you throw any codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhqtran2 View Post
Bought mine from USR after the December restock. Install went well. took about 6 hrs. Things tend to take longer when its cold outside.

2) Pre-Assemble the HIDs (if bought) before installing the headlights. This will save you a lot of time. More room to move and install that bulb.
3) Jack your car up from center point and take both front WHEEL and FENDER LINING off. This will give you enough room to remove and install with out the hassle of fitting your tools in tight spaces.

The only part im having trouble with is the beam pattern and the aligning the lights. I bought the Innovited HID Canbus Kit 5000k from amazon.

Does this beam pattern look right? i find the cut off not crisp and it has somewhat a V shape. Has anyone else have this problem after installing?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #1445
thanhqtran2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSWagon View Post
With the canbus did you throw any codes?
No code No Flicker No Error thus far. pure plug and play with this kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #1446
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhqtran2 View Post

the depo healights don't have a conventional hid projector beam pattern so you won't see the cutoff you normally see with projector hid's. They shouldn't look like that though.

You may have mounted them crooked, with the outer part of the headlights mounted too high. You can try to remove your bumper again, turn your headlights on, and adjust the position of the headlights until it's straight. Either that or you got a part of defective headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #1447
thanhqtran2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
the depo healights don't have a conventional hid projector beam pattern so you won't see the cutoff you normally see with projector hid's. They shouldn't look like that though.

You may have mounted them crooked, with the outer part of the headlights mounted too high. You can try to remove your bumper again, turn your headlights on, and adjust the position of the headlights until it's straight. Either that or you got a part of defective headlights.
Thanks for the input!! ill go ahead and try to re adjust the headlights. In the meantime ill go ahead and contact USR as well and get back to you guys with any updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #1448
JustTheNorm
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive

I was reading the UK F30 DEPO headlight picture thread ( yea, reading on a picture thread, go figure) and some of them were saying to only use 35w ballast for your HIDs. Will anything higher start melting/burning the projector and any other components?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #1449
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

Headlights, Morimoto HID's, fog lights, and clear reflectors installed:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0#post22681680
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #1450
thanhqtran2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheNorm View Post
I was reading the UK F30 DEPO headlight picture thread ( yea, reading on a picture thread, go figure) and some of them were saying to only use 35w ballast for your HIDs. Will anything higher start melting/burning the projector and any other components?
Ive only stuck with a 35w ballast so i cant give you to much input there. But as far as reading other forms, many people are saying that they ran with the 55w setup and it worked for them. There was always that one person who said it burnt through their housing.

I think you should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #1451
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheNorm View Post
I asked the guys at The Retrofit Source about the 55w ballasts when ordering mine. They said the 55w ballasts run considerably warmer and do not last nearly as long as the 35w ballasts, hence the shorter warranty. They also said there isn't a huge difference in light output.......
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      01-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #1452
JustTheNorm
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive

My 35w ballast come in tomorrow so I will install those. But if there's no noticeable difference in light output I'll keep the 35w ballast installed. I've only been running the 55w ballast in my headlights since last Sunday the 14th. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0