F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > F30 M Sport Brakes -- Pads and Rotors?
GetBMWParts

03-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340xi MPPSK

F30 M Sport Brakes -- Pads and Rotors?

Looking for options on brake pads and rotors for a F30 with M Sport brakes.

These will be duo-purpose for daily and track.

Been looking around and there doesn't seem to be many options available for this platform:

Pads
- OEM TRW
- OEM M3
- Hawk 5.0 (are these available for this platform?)

Rotors
- OEM Zimmerman
- Centric 125 series flat
- Centric 126 series slotted

Anyone run these options or have other recommendations? Not looking for dedicated-track-pads.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post

Been looking around and there doesn't seem to be many options available for this platform:

Pads
- OEM TRW
- OEM M3

Rotors
- OEM Zimmerman

Anyone run these options or have other recommendations? Not looking for dedicated-track-pads.

Thanks
If I may ask what type of track duty are you anticipating? Are we taking an actual race track for 20+ plus minute sessions or are we talking autocross?

IMHO theres zero need to upgrade the M Sport brake rotors for autoX or light track duty. They are more than up to the take of dissipating heat with zero fade. I would recommend that when it comes time to replace them to go to a two piece rotor for the weight savings. ECS Tuning, StopTech, Brembo, and others offer a two piece rotor.

Pads are a different story. For autoX the stock pads are absolutely fine. For significant track usage you may want to consider swapping for a track use compound just for track events. Most track dedicated pads don't work well for street driving due to the heat they need to work effectively. Hawk, Brambo, StopTech, and EBC all have great offerings. For track and street use I like EBC's yellowstuff. That said if your car is not going to see track duty I recommend staying with the stock pads.

All in all unless you are participating in competitive track events such as Gridlife I recommend staying stock. The M Sport brakes are an extremely capable brake package that most people won't approach the limit of. If you are looking to push the limits you will need the rubber to match. I'm talking 200 TW or more aggressive compound 245 or wider rubber to take advantage of the stopping power the M Sport system provides.

My opinion make sure your brake fluid is up to track use. Then go to an event with your stock brake system then re-evaluate you upgrade plans.

Good luck

Last edited by ClevelandBeemer; 03-14-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
dr.roro195.50
N26Ghost496.50
      03-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Have you tracked this car before? If so did you fade the brakes?

Charles
      03-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

I'm also currently looking for other brake options for my 335 M sport. I track my car 4-6 times a season, normally with Track Night in America so 3x 20min sessions a day. So far the stock brakes have been sufficient, although I swapped the stock fluid for Motul RBF600. Later sessions I occasionally get the high brake threshold warning on the cluster, which goes away after a short cool down lap, so I'm hoping some better pads could alleviate that.

I'm looking for a better dual purpose type pad, but there are few options for M sport cars without the M performance calipers front and rear.

I'm considering getting a set of Cool Carbon pads to try this season, I just haven't heard much feedback from people that have actually ran them...

Front: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cool-car...822-d1609~ccp/

Rear: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cool-car...823-d1610~ccp/
      03-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
New rotor offering from ECS is a winner! Two piece front rotors that won't break the bank.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...0/014586ecskt/

Appreciate 2
      03-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

OP, I got Zimmerman rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Will report back with how they did on the track on Sunday.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
sh0N
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
OP, I got Zimmerman rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Will report back with how they did on the track on Sunday.
Hello,

What was the outcome on the Hawk pads? I installed the 5.0's on the front of my f32 and they seems to move slightly in the caliper the first time they're used after a direction change.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post

Pads
- OEM TRW
- OEM M3

Rotors
- OEM Zimmerman

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
If I may ask what type of track duty are you anticipating? Are we taking an actual race track for 20+ plus minute sessions or are we talking autocross?

IMHO theres zero need to upgrade the M Sport brake rotors for autoX or light track duty. They are more than up to the take of dissipating heat with zero fade. I would recommend that when it comes time to replace them to go to a two piece rotor for the weight savings. ECS Tuning, StopTech, Brembo, and others offer a two piece rotor.

Pads are a different story. For autoX the stock pads are absolutely fine. For significant track usage you may want to consider swapping for a track use compound just for track events. Most track dedicated pads don't work well for street driving due to the heat they need to work effectively. Hawk, Brambo, StopTech, and EBC all have great offerings. For track and street use I like EBC's yellowstuff. That said if your car is not going to see track duty I recommend staying with the stock pads.

All in all unless you are participating in competitive track events such as Gridlife I recommend staying stock. The M Sport brakes are an extremely capable brake package that most people won't approach the limit of. If you are looking to push the limits you will need the rubber to match. I'm talking 200 TW or more aggressive compound 245 or wider rubber to take advantage of the stopping power the M Sport system provides.

My opinion make sure your brake fluid is up to track use. Then go to an event with your stock brake system then re-evaluate you upgrade plans.

Good luck
Stock M Sport 370mm front and 345mm rear rotors are pretty good rotors. There's no real need to upgrade or go aftermarket.

I have 93,000 miles on my car and over 20 track days on the original rotors. I run stock F8X M3/M4 brake pads for the track season and the car has been fine for HPDEs in the lower and upper intermediate run groups. I use Castrol SRF brake fluid - bleed the brakes once per year right before track season.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0N View Post
Hello,

What was the outcome on the Hawk pads? I installed the 5.0's on the front of my f32 and they seems to move slightly in the caliper the first time they're used after a direction change.
They performed well and I had no issues with them. I did end up getting the brembo calipers in front with the same pads. There is some shift when you slow down or speed up but I read it's normal with the brembo calipers and pads

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0