F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 335xi Atlanta snow
proTUNING Freaks

01-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
march21
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi M Sport

335xi Atlanta snow

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I got a 335 xi this year and I couldn't be happier about it. Whole most people with both front and rear traction got stuck in different places, sometimes having to abandon their cars, my car handled perfectly. The only of was a moron in an Audi that thought because I had a good grip tried to drive as fast as I was driving and almost hit my rear. Luckily he threw his car on the other way and could stop. We'll just wanted to give my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I think the primary issue is folks in that region don't drive in snow enough to understand how to deal with it. Having xDrive certainly helps, but there's far more involved in this case. Stay safe. Help others when you can.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I think the primary issue is folks in that region don't drive in snow enough to understand how to deal with it. Having xDrive certainly helps, but there's far more involved in this case. Stay safe. Help others when you can.
It's not entirely that people don't know how to drive as it is a problem with Atlanta congestion, poor mass transit, and poor governing in situations like this. This whole crisis could have been far less in my opinion. I don't even want to get into the political side of things.

As I am only 2 years new to Atl and actually from Pa myself I am able to give a good opinion on the matter.

Glad your XI handled the weather well and you seemed to have made it from point A to B safely.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

It's the law of averages. It's far less likely to snow in Atlanta than it is likely. It doesn't make sense to ramp up for such an infrequent occurrence. Beat bet is to stay put and ride it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

You don't need xdrive in snow. I have a rwd man 128i coupe and this has been the snowiest coldest winter Iccan remember and my car runs through the mess no prob...with a set of winter tires mind yyou. I will never own a bmw xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

No xdrive is going to help you in snow as much as proper snow tires do. I have seen so many cars, including 4 matic, X3, and even a Jeep get stuck on the side of the road while I pretty much laughed at them driving my M3 in more than a foot of snow in upstate NY using the good old blizzaks. I think the whole xdrive thing is way too overrated. You are better off buying a set of snow tires and a jack and swap them out twice a year. You get summer tires for summer and winter tires for winter. All season tires are what they are, a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
You don't need xdrive in snow. I have a rwd man 128i coupe and this has been the snowiest coldest winter Iccan remember and my car runs through the mess no prob...with a set of winter tires mind yyou. I will never own a bmw xdrive.
When you live in Atlanta you don't buy winter tires. It's definitely a decent alternative. If you do live north of the Mason - Dixon I agree that you can do just fine with snows. My F30 is RWD on snows. My wife's E61 which is xDrive will be on snows by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
No xdrive is going to help you in snow as much as proper snow tires do. I have seen so many cars, including 4 matic, X3, and even a Jeep get stuck on the side of the road while I pretty much laughed at them driving my M3 in more than a foot of snow in upstate NY using the good old blizzaks. I think the whole xdrive thing is way too overrated. You are better off buying a set of snow tires and a jack and swap them out twice a year. You get summer tires for summer and winter tires for winter. All season tires are what they are, a compromise.
You didn't drive your M3 on unplowed roads with more than 12 inches on the ground. Blizzards are awesome, but they don't overcome a lack of ground clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I'm in the ATL area (Cobb County) as well. Was lucky to take my 335i home before things got really bad! I drove my wife's FWD Ford Edge afterwords with no issues.

I also don't want to comment on the politics & preparedness, but some drivers are unbelievably stupid. I saw many 4x4 trucks & SUVs losing traction like crazy.. Believe it or not some don't know how to engage 4x4 as you can see their rear wheels spinning like there's no tomorrow. A local police car spun in front of my eyes.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

I think with any car when it is flat you will do fine in the snow with winter tires. When you have to go up hills in the snow you will definitely feel the difference with all wheel drive (especially if you have to start from a dead stop on a hill).

More important, here in rainy Vancouver the all wheel drive gives instant hookup at all 4 wheels in the frequent rainy weather we get. This winter in Vancouver we have received a total of 2 inches of snow so far.........

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...-blizzard.html
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

xDrive VS snow tire arguments are pretty old folks. Might as well debate manual VS automatic.

OP, don't forget another factor. You car is new, and you have new tires with great tread and traction. Definitely a factor here as well. Glad to hear you made it out if that mess OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
giddyup69
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335xi

people just have to remember.. that the only thing contacting the ground is a small patch of rubber from your tires. tires make all the difference in traction. all-wheel drive is great for getting better acceleration in bad weather.. but at speed u still rely on the quality of your tires for turning and braking in which part all-wheel drive will not help u at all. u need the right tires for the right conditions without them being completely bald.

i lived in south carolina for 2 years to do my masters. people are not used to bad weather conditions. the majority drove on balding tires. radio stations used to call out rainy days like it was a severe snow storm here in toronto. they are just not accustomed to poor driving conditions like we are. even a small ice storm would shut the entire city of columbia down. although i will admit that they have sometimes have some severe downpours down there as well. but the majority have no clue how to drive in slippery conditions as far as my experience down there went.
      01-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
KenMDTO
Rep
Drives: 2012 CLS63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
I respectfully disagree. I have had an E60 M5 and now have a CLS63 and even with winter tires, I have problems with driving in the snow (more than a few times I couldn't get up my driveway). If you get a real winter xdrive and winter tires are the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMDTO View Post
I respectfully disagree. I have had an E60 M5 and now have a CLS63 and even with winter tires, I have problems with driving in the snow (more than a few times I couldn't get up my driveway). If you get a real winter xdrive and winter tires are the way to go.

I agree. If you live in a flat world and get a couple of inches of snow at a time, snow tires and RWD might cut it. But for myself, the hills and terrains I frequent laugh at snow tires and RWD. It can even get you killed if you're not a very skilled driver and are not particularly cautious. xDrive or go home for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
If you get a real winter xdrive and winter tires are the way to go.
+1

sometimes you need locking diffs and a ton of ground clearance as well.

RWD + snow tires is fine for relatively flat suburban or urban areas with decent road clearing, but whenever inclines or unplowed roads get involved, RWD + snow tires is going to struggle
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #16
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Had a similar struggle with my RWD with all season tires. I was caught in a snow storm (my own fault, I waited too long to get home). Well let's just say I finished by foot.... In the meantime, my other car with FWD and all seasons was a real champ.

I tried the high perf LM-60 Blizzaks before but they are too much of a compromise in the handling department to bother with them for the 4 long months of cold weather in a year, in which we only get a few days of snow all combined. So I got high perf all seasons for the winter. It works well in the cold weather vs. my summers. But FORGET about driving on 1/16 inch of snow. It's USELESS. The car was like an anvil with soap wheel a.k.a. not going to move an inch. But I'm still glad I don't have Blizzaks because these tires are so soft, it feels like driving a boat with all the inertia on braking... cornering, etc.

I think I would rather buy a used Wrangler or something like that for the snow days, with fat mud tires. But not worth it when snow is still a minor event.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah, lots of factors. I've driven my RWD BMW with winter tires in Minneapolis and it's done great. Never been stuck and rarely does it struggle.

But... It's very flat. And the road clearing system here is the best in the world. If I was in a rural, hilly area it would be another story.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This isn't a very good analogy. An M5 has issues with traction when it's dry. The average cars that 99% of the populace are driving would be fine. I too can't drive my blown Mustang in slick conditions regardless of tires. You can only do so much with physics...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Phil R
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Remember the VW ad from years ago...."this is what the plow truck driver drives to get to his plow truck"? I drive my 335ix to get to my plow truck..
Appreciate 0