F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR recall - Issues after , Advice needed 🙏🏼
Extreme Powerhouse

02-20-2023, 10:58 AM   #1
madonna2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

EGR recall - Issues after , Advice needed 🙏🏼

I have a late model 2014 320d

F30 Efficiency Dynamic business model Diesel - Manual - around 127,000 miles on clock - push button start.

I received a notice mid 2022 that there was a recall for EGR issue. BMW dealership had a space in Feb 2023 to do the recall work. ( 8 months later )

I dropped the car in on a Thursday morning and collected Friday morning.

*Known issue dropping off was parking bulb gone and two back tyres due for replacement.

On Saturday afternoon the car wouldn’t start up , turning over then smoke from engine and smell of burning, warning on dash to say ‘battery disconnected - no power’. (2 days after recall work )

I called BMW Monday morning, they towed it back to garage . Garage came back saying the starter is gone and might need a new battery.

I’m putting it out there to people in the know , would the starter go that quick , without any prior issue ?

If the starter is gone , would it be normal to go in this type of car and also would the EGR cooler issue cause issues with starter motor ?

Over heating engine? Over heating motor or connected components?

BMW garage will more than likely charge me a bomb so I’d like to know if this is a fault of manufacturer or normal wear issue ?

I don’t drive car very much , 100km’s in 7 days .. max
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 05:54 AM   #2
The Lum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i LCI

Sadly I think its just coincidence. The battery isnt unplugged during the EGR QE work and the work doesnt take place near the starter motor. Given the mileage on the car and the small mileage you are doing I would guess the battery wasnt getting much of a charge and the starter has lasted 9 years and 127k miles which isnt bad going really.
Appreciate 1
335dX436.00
      02-21-2023, 04:18 PM   #3
StuieUK45
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I took my LCi 335d in to BMW end of Sep for the EGR recall... (mine is ECU and gearbox mapped).
Since then, i've had non critical issues (hard to explain) ever since, to which BMW say: give us £200 to try and diagnose how we f**ked your car..

Car is going back to the Tuners in 10 days to check if the map/flash has been touched, etc ....

I do believe in coincidence, but not when it comes to a dealer..... Always seems to be the un-trained employee that gets hold of our cars and things aren't right after
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2261.00
      02-23-2023, 03:15 PM   #4
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive Msport

I must say I find it highly suspect that these things go wrong after a dealer visit. I don't necessarily belive it is intentional, but the cock ups and bodges that the 'technicians' seem to try and get away with is alarming. My first egr recall ended up with a filthy car, scratches and dents. The second recall led me to discover missing bolts, a defective thermostat, broken breather tubes and a cross threaded bolt holding the egr in place. Oh, and a broken water pump and split belt - the latter seemingly missed during their inspection. I can't stand dealers and will never go to one again unless absolutely necessary. I tackle most jobs myself and actually think most folk could too given a little time and confidence. Clearly there is no evidence and in a court of law you'd have a hard time proving anything - but unlike others, the coincidences seem all too frequent for my likings.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2261.00
      02-23-2023, 03:58 PM   #5
cchays
Rep
Drives: 2104 328d

I'm curious to know the outcome. I'm having the EGR recall done on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 04:51 PM   #6
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

EGR Cooler Recall PTSD

I read your post and think I suffered post traumatic stress disorder symptoms from my first EGR recall work done a couple of years ago. I took it in for the EGR recall (I knew I had problems and suspected my O2 sensors were shot from the codes). My car is a 2015 328d Touring and while they had it in for the EGR recall, they noticed I also needed the transfer case giubo replaced and while replacing that they checked the transfer case and saw the spline was damaged and replaced it as well. Since this was a huge chunk of work done, I also asked if they would replace my battery (which was original) and they did. I drove happily home (280 miles) only to discover that during the work they had done, it appeared as if they arc’d my alternator which was now out! They shipped me an alternator (at my expense, naturally) and I swore I’d never take it back to the dealership.

Now I’m looking at the EGR cooler recall notice I just received and since this is a dealer only fix, I have to take it back. Can’t say I’m happy about it but I’ll check back in after this next one is done. T’is a privilege to own the ultimate driving machine but it’s not without complications!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 02:23 PM   #7
unsquashable
Registered
Chile
Rep
Drives: BMW´s X3 F25 & X3 G01 & F700GS

N57 EGR Recalled twice ??

My car is a 2015 X3 F25 with N57 engine.

I wonder if somebody has been recalled twice for the same issue.

My car was impeccably serviced by the dealership here in Chile (I normally never go even get close to the Stealership), since their prices are just outrageous. (have an excellent Indy) Recall was performed mid 2022.

However, the strange thing is a got a second call from the dealership FOR YET A SECOND replacement of the EGR radiator, some 4-5 months after the first one was performed (have not gone into yet, since they told me at the time the parts were backordered)

Has anyone else had similar experience with the EGR recall ??
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:17 AM   #8
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
In the 5 years I had an f15 x5 I had my egr cooler replaced 4 times. It's like each time it went for service at the dealership they'd replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:58 AM   #9
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Yeah the EGR cooler got revised once or twice during the recall campaign, resulting in repeat visits for some folk. Different parts replaced depending on vehicle age and batch numbers of the iffy parts. Just the EGR cooler for some, and some got the whole lot replaced - Cooler, EGR valve and throttle body.
Appreciate 0