F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
GetBMWParts

11-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #309
bmw.power1997
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by powershot View Post
It depends on the FEM that your car has.

There are two types of FEM: Mid and High.
I did the retrofit with a Mid FEM and the high beams don't work. Low beams and DRL are ok.

Now I'm having a lot of trouble to upgrade for a High FEM, because it must be ordered in BMW (the VIN is programmed in the module) and then it must be programmed to support xenon.

Also, it is expensive, if you buy a new High FEM from BMW it will coast you 500 euros. Maybe in Germany you could find it cheaper. And don't forget you also need to pay for the installation and programming...

Unfortunately, until now, I didn't find any dealer who could upgrade my FEM They all say that they are not able to do it... I'll try a little more but I cannot stay without high beams forever...I'm considering reverting the retrofit and back to the halogen lights
Did you retrofit the leveling sensors ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #310
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

First install ( xenon headlights, rewiring and coding ) took about 3 hours. The ride heigh senssors I just bought all the pieces, and hope to install them this weekend or maybe next weekend. I will try to do some pictures and let you know about result and time of work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #311
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
To change VIN in FEM , I think you will need to flash it with Esys. To program it for xenon, just code it.
I retrofited xenon on my 04.2012 F30, I don't know wotch version of FEM I have, but it was working OK after coding with 522. Maybe it is high because of HK music. But I did a lot of retrofits on car, and all are working fine and no errors on car.
Last thing I hope to do this weekend is to install leveling senssors, and that is the only error I have.
I contacted a lot of mechanics and finally I found one who says that is able to flash a used FEM with my car VIN. I'll now search for a used FEM (from a car with stock xenon) and let see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 03:56 AM   #312
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

First of all, I realy don't think that it is necessary to change your FEM, I checked again on BMW catalog for spare pieces and FEM module doesn't have different variants acording to your car options. I think FEM has all necessary inside, just needs to be coded for each option. On my car I retrofited : steering wheel with paddle, NBT EVO, HUD, Lane Departure, Speed limit info, Collision warning, automatic air condition, front PDC, high beam assist, xenon lights, and all are working perfectly, without changeing FEM.
I have only one more step to cross for having all car modules green on Rheingold : ride height sensors. Maybe someone can help me with my problem : I installed them, but I can't make them to work corectly. Befoure installing sensors, I had AHL_TYP = ohne in FEM_BODY, and everything was OK, if I had changed AHL_TYP to auto dyn lwr FEM will return error for LWR. Now with sensors installed and set AHL_TYP to auto dyn lwr, no errors, but ICM return error for ride height sensors adjustment, and I can't calibrate them. Can someone help me pleaseeeee.
I atached some pictures from Rheingold with error and some redings from ICM module, maybe someone find my problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #313
bmw.power1997
Germany
Rep

Quote:
First of all, I realy don't think that it is necessary to change your FEM, I checked again on BMW catalog for spare pieces and FEM module doesn't have different variants acording to your car options. I think FEM has all necessary inside, just needs to be coded for each option. On my car I retrofited : steering wheel with paddle, NBT EVO, HUD, Lane Departure, Speed limit info, Collision warning, automatic air condition, front PDC, high beam assist, xenon lights, and all are working perfectly, without changeing FEM.
I have only one more step to cross for having all car modules green on Rheingold : ride height sensors. Maybe someone can help me with my problem : I installed them, but I can't make them to work corectly. Befoure installing sensors, I had AHL_TYP = ohne in FEM_BODY, and everything was OK, if I had changed AHL_TYP to auto dyn lwr FEM will return error for LWR. Now with sensors installed and set AHL_TYP to auto dyn lwr, no errors, but ICM return error for ride height sensors adjustment, and I can't calibrate them. Can someone help me pleaseeeee.
I atached some pictures from Rheingold with error and some redings from ICM module, maybe someone find my problem.
I think you need the E-SYS software.

Good luck for your retrofit , i start it on christmas ( BMW F20 ).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #314
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

And I'm glad to let you know that my retrofit is finally done. The problem with rear left sensor was the position. I had to unscrew it, and install it again in an position with 2-3 mm upper. Now voltage on rear left sensor is 2.8v and is working perfectly. I could initialize sensors and my xenon lights are working as they should and no errors on car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #315
bmw.power1997
Germany
Rep

Quote:
And I'm glad to let you know that my retrofit is finally done. The problem with rear left sensor was the position. I had to unscrew it, and install it again in an position with 2-3 mm upper. Now voltage on rear left sensor is 2.8v and is working perfectly. I could initialize sensors and my xenon lights are working as they should and no errors on car.
i send you a private message
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #316
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
I got lucky, my FEM from my halogen car accepted Xenons and my high beam shutter works!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #317
hkgans
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i, G20 320d

Hi all,

Would you mind sharing how you order new FEM MAX from your dealer which the car has a FEM MID?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #318
bmw_fascinated
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 228i

Hi all,

since you spent a lot of time in retrofitting the Xenon headlights, I am wondering if you can help me with a question regarding the ballast itself.
I have a F22 with the adaptive Xenon headlights but I hope the F30 ones will be similar to some extend. My plan is to replace the Xenon ballast (upgrade to around 40-45W) to improve the illumination. However, it appears that there are 3 more pins next to the 12/GND connector on the ballast. Is it known if they have any purpose (e.g. CANbus)?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #319
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Can someone please repost the coding instructions?
The pictures are not working anymore on the original post.
Besides VO coding 522, what FDL changes are required to turn off auto level sensors?
thanks
      12-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #320
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedchung View Post
Can someone please repost the coding instructions?
The pictures are not working anymore on the original post.
Besides VO coding 522, what FDL changes are required to turn off auto level sensors?
thanks
Here ya go!

42. First add 522 (xenon lights) and 524 (adaptive lights) to your VO, and then write the VO to the car.

​43.​Now, VO Code FEM_BODY: Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right*Click on FEM_BODY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

4​4.​Then go back and FDL Code the following:
LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03
C_FLC_ENA=F​030disable​(LWR,Leveling sensor)
C_AFS_ENA = F030enable (Light Distribution)
C_BLC_ENA = F030enable (AHL)
C_CLC_ENA = F030enable (Cornering light)
BLC and CLC are enabled by default, but double check just in case. This should in the adaptive headlights functioning correctly and no error for the autoleveling sensors not working/installed. (Thanks to F30EDR for the help in figuring the correct coding).

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #321
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

thanks.
i'm not doing 524, only 522.
I guess I'll just disable C_FLC_ENA after VO coding.
      01-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #322
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
DEPO F30/F31 Angle Eye Aftermarket Xenons are now available in the UK!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1340472
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #323
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I contacted a lot of mechanics and finally I found one who says that is able to flash a used FEM with my car VIN. I'll now search for a used FEM (from a car with stock xenon) and let see if it works.
I bought a used MAX FEM in ebay and now the dealer is trying to program it.
He already changed the VIN of the FEM but he cannot update the software in the FEM He says the software starts updating, but then when it finishes, starts again, in loop. It is in loop for 4 days and he doesn't know how to solve the problem.

I can program the module with E-sys and I have the old backups from the old FEM.

Do you think is possible to restore the backups from the old FEM into the new one? tomorrow I'll go myself to the dealer and try to do it.

Any help with this would be great.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #324
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Today I went to the dealer and tried myself to restore the backups from the old FEM into the new one with E-sys.

I did the following:
1. Connected via Gateway-URL (via VIN was not available because the FEM is not programmed and therefore the GZW is not working)
2. Loaded FA
3. Loaded SVT
4. Activate FA
5. Selected CAFD from file
6. Code FDL (FEM BODY module)

I had the following error:
Transaktions-Report: Aktion: FDL Codieren
FEM_BODY [40] cdDeploy FinishedWithError: cafd_00000794-004_228_010 NotExecutable

I think I need to flash the FEM before coding FDL, but I'm not sure it will be enough.

I found a tutorial to flash a module with E-sys:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...EktYXprV1p3LVE

Can anyone help and tell if I'm going in the right direction? I'm afraid everything I'm doing is useless

Regarding the need to change the FEM, some people say it is not necessary for this retrofit, other people say it is necessary. I really think my original FEM doesn't support bi-xenon, please check the image from my original and new FEM:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5j...tycDQ0R0U/view

As we can see in the pictures, my original FEM has "_BIX" and the MAX FEM has "*BIX".
I believe the asterisk says if the module has bi-xenon or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #325
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Guys,

I have normal xenons in the car (EU spec) and changed to adaptive xenons (USA spec). The pins on the headlight are different on the adaptive usa spec xenons from the eu spec xenons (non-adaptive).

When I just plug it in the normal beam and blinkers and angel eyes work, however the high beam does not and of course also not the auto levelling or adaptive part.

Can anybody help me explain what pins i need to change location to get the high beam to work. and if it's possible to program the adaptive so that works too? Do I need to pull some wires to FEM for that? If just the high beam worked I be happy with that too.

Tnx,
Peter
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #326
Docimotive
Rep
Drives: 440xi

Hi

I've got almost the same problem as the guy on the post above.
I have -17 F36 with normal xenon (EU spec) and I replaced them with EU spec adaptive xenons with OSS Icon system and I also swapped new adaptive headlight driver modules. At the moment high beams don't work, whether I have 524 coded or not. I really do not even care too much for adaptive option but I would like to get my high beams to work.
I've read throught this thread, tried coding and calibrating without luck. When calibrating the new modules with Rheingold I always get error that there is communication problem. Something seems to be wrong with LIN-connection. I will try battery disconnection/reset tomorrow as I've tried pretty much everything else.

Current fault codes below without option 524 coded.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #327
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I'm helping a friend do this retrofit, and we are wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue:

Sometimes the car is rolled out of the garage with ignition totally off, for example when preparing to wash it. There's a 1-2" drop from the garage to the driveway, no big deal normally.

However, after doing the retrofit, sometimes he has seen the angel eyes flash on briefly during the bump. Again, this is with the ignition totally off. Could it just be a loose connection at the headlight?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #328
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Today I went to the dealer and tried myself to restore the backups from the old FEM into the new one with E-sys.

I did the following:
1. Connected via Gateway-URL (via VIN was not available because the FEM is not programmed and therefore the GZW is not working)
2. Loaded FA
3. Loaded SVT
4. Activate FA
5. Selected CAFD from file
6. Code FDL (FEM BODY module)

I had the following error:
Transaktions-Report: Aktion: FDL Codieren
FEM_BODY [40] cdDeploy FinishedWithError: cafd_00000794-004_228_010 NotExecutable

I think I need to flash the FEM before coding FDL, but I'm not sure it will be enough.

I found a tutorial to flash a module with E-sys:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...EktYXprV1p3LVE

Can anyone help and tell if I'm going in the right direction? I'm afraid everything I'm doing is useless

Regarding the need to change the FEM, some people say it is not necessary for this retrofit, other people say it is necessary. I really think my original FEM doesn't support bi-xenon, please check the image from my original and new FEM:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5j...tycDQ0R0U/view

As we can see in the pictures, my original FEM has "_BIX" and the MAX FEM has "*BIX".
I believe the asterisk says if the module has bi-xenon or not.
Finally I finished the retrofit, now I have xenon, headlight washers and leveling sensors!!

As some people suggested in this thread, I needed to upgrade my MID FEM to a MAX FEM.

I ordered a MAX FEM from BMW and after coding xenon in it, everything worked perfectly, and finally the high beams are working

Many thanks for the help, it would be impossible to make this retrofit without you guys
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #329
zer0memory
Rep
Drives: 2012 320D

great info thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #330
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
I have retrofitted Xenon's and I didn't need to change my FEM!

I love how people here dismiss this, but it cant be done if you know someone who has the right knowledge.
Appreciate 0